Would You Be In Favor Of Ranking Your Draft Spots?

Robert Zarzycki

Post by Robert Zarzycki » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:40 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
G-Man isn't afraid of anything Z-Men (what are there more than one of you?), so bring it on! I would go by G-Money, but that's just me.

I've long wondered about the Z-Men/plural thing myself. What the dealio?
[/QUOTE]Refers to my boys, my squad, my fantasy studs. -z-
Robert Zarzycki
Author of Drafting To Win & Fantasy Football's Big Six (AuthorHouse.com)

Robert Zarzycki

Post by Robert Zarzycki » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:42 am

Originally posted by Bezoar:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
... I can only speak fron my own experience. I have been in 9 events in the NFFC since last year's first season, and I've seen 11-14 spots so much, I have been called the King of Double Digits(althought Eddie Gillis must be close).... Anecdotal experience trumps stastistical theory every time :D [/QUOTE]I wonder if there was a way to spread the draft slots from year to year so owners get more of an equal distribution. For instance, those who were in the first seven slots this year will be placed in one of the latter seven slots next year, et cetera. -z-
Robert Zarzycki
Author of Drafting To Win & Fantasy Football's Big Six (AuthorHouse.com)

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:13 pm

I wonder if there was a way to spread the draft slots from year to year so owners get more of an equal distribution. For instance, those who were in the first seven slots this year will be placed in one of the latter seven slots next year, et cetera. -z-
I would think not. It has to remain random and equitable for all participants. It would not be a level playing field for the folks who did not play the previous year or maybe even the folks who DID play in the previous year. Every owner deserves the same chance at each spot each year. A new season is just that, a NEW season and that means the playing field is level for all.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:17 am

Originally posted by renman:
Though I am completely receptive to the idea of bidding for draft posts once the event is sold out for entries and we know that new concept wont slow interest in the event from new owners... i do have a question...

what is the DOWN SIDE to Gregs derby style of picking draft order? I have seen many experienced NFFC owners say they prefer the bidding idea over the derby idea. I am wondering what the down side is to the derby idea. and if you had to choose between the current random draft picking and the derby draft picking and the bidding option was not an option, what would you choose and why?

i see the derby idea as hugely more interesting and fair then the random "you get where you are picked" currently system. I started a poll on our National Fantasy Baseball Championship site for our participants to vote on whether we should use the random draft slot selection like we have the past two years or the Kentucky Derby Style system in 2006 and we've had a strong majority thus far in one direction. I'm still going to take votes this week, but the feedback has been very good for me.

I'm going to create a poll this week on the NFFC boards to see what the feedback is to one of three draft selection processes our participants would like to see the NFFC use in 2006:
1) Random like it is now.
2) The Kentucky Derby Style.
3) Draft Slot Bidding using the $1,000 FAAB.

I'm interested in the feedback on the numbers because I've read all of the pros and cons thus far. Look for the poll tomorrow and we'll run it for a few weeks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

renman

Post by renman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:52 am

billywas, z-man, gekko....

where are all the ACTUAL ANSWERS to the question i posed? i saw BILLYWAZ say the derby system is a "3" on a scale of 1-10... and i saw Z-MAN applaud his post. i am still waiting to hear the NEGATIVES and DOWNSIDE of the derby system. i am not saying i would disagree, i just want to hear why the derby system is not a significant improvement over the dead random system. we have all this fantasy football experience and genius on this message board, i want some real tangible and helpful thoughts.

i would bet that 90% of the owners would get a pick in their top 5 choices with the derby system. and almost no one would end up with their dead least favorite pick. to me, thats a good system that puts most owners in a positive mood and frame of mine going into each draft. i saw gekko actually say the current system is MORE FAIR then the derby system. yet never got an explanation as to how that could be or what his point was.

i look forward to thoughts on the specific question at hand and not things taken out of context...

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:27 am

where are all the ACTUAL ANSWERS to the question i posed? i saw BILLYWAZ say the derby system is a "3" on a scale of 1-10... and i saw Z-MAN applaud his post. i am still waiting to hear the NEGATIVES and DOWNSIDE of the derby system. if SOME owners get a say in their draft slots, and SOME do not, that seems VERY unfair to me. please, someone try to argue that it's fair.

derby method is WORSE than totally random draft selection

thanks.

[ October 17, 2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:29 am

btw, i'll have the Blind Bidding on Draft Slots procedures on the board tomorrow morning. enjoy!

renman

Post by renman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:46 am

gekko...

the point about the derby style is that it is likely that ALL owners will "get a say" in their draft position. the person who gets picked 14 will not have seen his exact top 14 draft position being the exact same ones chosen by the 13 owners who's pick choices were taken previously...

the person who gets picked 14th may very likely get his 5th favorite draft position. this simple point here makes it seem to me that the derby system is better then the totally random system now where some WILL get a spot they want and some wont... and those who do not will get irritated and will enter the event feeling they were at some disadvantage.

the derby system allows owners to guide themselves into the area of a draft they prefer to be in... and even being picked late can allow you a chance to end up where you want...

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:17 am

the point about the derby style is that it is likely that ALL owners will "get a say" in their draft position. the person who gets picked 14 will not have seen his exact top 14 draft position being the exact same ones chosen by the 13 owners who's pick choices were taken previously...

the person who gets picked 14th may very likely get his 5th favorite draft position. this simple point here makes it seem to me that the derby system is better then the totally random system now where some WILL get a spot they want and some wont... and those who do not will get irritated and will enter the event feeling they were at some disadvantage.

the derby system allows owners to guide themselves into the area of a draft they prefer to be in... and even being picked late can allow you a chance to end up where you want... renman – you wanted answers. I gave em to you.

THE 1ST OWNER WILL RECEIVE THEIR MOST BESTEST, MOST FAVORITE,AND MOST COMFORTABLE DRAFT SLOT. THE 14TH OWNER WILL HAVE NO SAY WHATSOEVER . HE GETS WHATEVER IS LEFT IN THE TRASH BIN. YOU CAN’T GET MORE OBVIOUS THAN THAT.

try to argue the scenario i just presented is fair? thanks.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:18 am

muuuuhahahahaha!!!