2009 NFFC Plans...For Now!

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:56 pm

Greg,

First of all, thanks for all the great work that you and Tom put into the events. The NFFC is by far the best product, and I'm a customer for life.

That being said, I think that it's a critical marketing mistake to drop the overall prize to less than $100,000. The psychological effect of 100k vs. 75k is huge, and I think that it would hurt the prestige of the event going forward.

I like some of the ideas thrown out here that could keep the overall prize at 100k. It's hard to believe that many people who are already willing to pay $1300 would balk and not play at all for another $100.

I understand the economics of the business situation you're in and what you're facing. I think that you may be very much under-estimating how many more signups you'll get by advertising an online option for the Main Events. The lack of travel expenses could easily be the make-or-break factor in the decision making of many players. If your work with NBC also pays dividends, I wouldn't be surprised if all this combined doesn't generate 50-100 more players.

I saw the early numbers you posted on Baseball, but it's mainly the hard-core players who attend live events that sign up first. The on-line players would tend to be later or even last-minute signups. It'll be interesting to see what the final numbers show us.

In any event, I know that you guys will do the right thing for both the long run and the short run. Count me in for both Main Events. Period.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
Greg,

First of all, thanks for all the great work that you and Tom put into the events. The NFFC is by far the best product, and I'm a customer for life.

That being said, I think that it's a critical marketing mistake to drop the overall prize to less than $100,000. The psychological effect of 100k vs. 75k is huge, and I think that it would hurt the prestige of the event going forward.

I like some of the ideas thrown out here that could keep the overall prize at 100k. It's hard to believe that many people who are already willing to pay $1300 would balk and not play at all for another $100.

I understand the economics of the business situation you're in and what you're facing. I think that you may be very much under-estimating how many more signups you'll get by advertising an online option for the Main Events. The lack of travel expenses could easily be the make-or-break factor in the decision making of many players. If your work with NBC also pays dividends, I wouldn't be surprised if all this combined doesn't generate 50-100 more players.

I saw the early numbers you posted on Baseball, but it's mainly the hard-core players who attend live events that sign up first. The on-line players would tend to be later or even last-minute signups. It'll be interesting to see what the final numbers show us.

In any event, I know that you guys will do the right thing for both the long run and the short run. Count me in for both Main Events. Period. Thanks for the feedback Paul. We're planning on keeping it at $100,000 and hoping that our die-hards support us again this year even in a tough economy. A goal of 322 teams is realistic and it keeps your odds of winning even better. So I think we can do it.

And we'll shoot for just 300 teams for the 12-team event and I think we'll go above that with the lower price tag and get that grand prize up higher than I'm forecasting. The doubleheader for $2,000 or so is reasonable and makes for a great, great draft day at a reasonable price. And the chance to win $150,000 isn't bad either.

I'll unveil everything next week, but I think we have a plan in place that will work for everyone and keep our doubleheader in place. Thanks again.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kapefear

Post by kapefear » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:07 am

Any decisions Greg on NBC 1st, then "main event" at night? I know you were concerned with the time and you didnt want it to effect your best and most competitive city...Oh if you guys were unsure that would be NYC....

renman

Post by renman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:14 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
I'm sure I missed a bunch of this thread, but has anyone come up with a better place, in place of NYC?

We've mentioned Atlantic City, and as much as it is the PERFECT place to hold this event, the weekend that the NFFC drafts is a very busy weekend there, and hotel rooms are just as much or more than NYC. The only thing cheaper would be parking.

Personally, I hate driving into Manhattan and paying $30-$50 to do the Auctions, and then another $30-$50 to do the Main Events if I do them. My drive is around 25-30 minutes, so I don't stay in NYC, but those hotel rates are nuts.

There's gotta be a better place. Good atmosphere. Attractions that would entice people to come to the events. Transportation. At a cheaper price?

Philly? Boston? I'd drive to either one of those places, even if it were just for the Auction days. Big guy,

I agree with you. I have posted about this before. I could be in the minority but my sense is the guys that come to these events are hard core guys who almost envision themselves as "professional" fantasy football players. The majority of guys I know are there solely for the football event. I have not tried to negotiate prices but I have to believe holding a major event in midtown Manhatten is about as expensive a venue as you could find.

If we are talking about trying to trim expenses to keep the prize funds worthy of our support I would think this is an area we could consider. Mind you NYC is incredibly convenient for me personally. I can hop a bus or train and be there in no time with ease. I worked in NYC for 7 years and have zero problems getting around. This isn't about my personal comfort.

I just wonder if we were to have this event in a setting around the Meadowlands if it would be better. Would less guys draft because the event is 8 miles east? Are people coming to the NFFC in NYC to enjoy midtown Manhatten or the worlds best fantasy football competition and experience? If partying in NYC is a big part of someones NFFC weekend they still can as it is only a few miles away.

Again, I also am speculating on how much could be saved via a venue change like this. I could very well be way off base and the difference could be minimal. I just get the sense the difference might be substantial.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:39 am

Originally posted by Renman:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
I'm sure I missed a bunch of this thread, but has anyone come up with a better place, in place of NYC?

We've mentioned Atlantic City, and as much as it is the PERFECT place to hold this event, the weekend that the NFFC drafts is a very busy weekend there, and hotel rooms are just as much or more than NYC. The only thing cheaper would be parking.

Personally, I hate driving into Manhattan and paying $30-$50 to do the Auctions, and then another $30-$50 to do the Main Events if I do them. My drive is around 25-30 minutes, so I don't stay in NYC, but those hotel rates are nuts.

There's gotta be a better place. Good atmosphere. Attractions that would entice people to come to the events. Transportation. At a cheaper price?

Philly? Boston? I'd drive to either one of those places, even if it were just for the Auction days. Are people coming to the NFFC in NYC to enjoy midtown Manhatten or the worlds best fantasy football competition and experience?
[/QUOTE]I come to draft, and everything else is secondary.

Having the draft at the Meadowlands (or another location close to NYC) to trim costs makes sense to me. The hotels and parking costs (I generally fly, so this isn't an issue for me) are BRUTAL in Manhattan. :(

kapefear

Post by kapefear » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:50 am

Hey guys I plan this as my Summer Getaway....As sad as it sounds,I work in the Golf Industry were 330am comes everyday........I look forward to my trip leaving Cape Cod Ma, $.5 hours.2 years ago I participated in an AUCTION league and got my Arrsss handed to me,Diesel remebers..But funny story came up with dad to make a friday saturday event , got a $99 hotel in Jersey, 3.5 miles from event,but since we were changing STATES my cab ride was $45 not including tip.Please dont ask about the further parking expenses...I have now got it to a system were I spend less than $100 for 2 night at a LA QUINTA, big clean and great service,LESS THAN 1 HOUR out of the big city..I have suggested NUMEROUS times FOXWOODS or MOHEIGAN SUNS....Everyone feels SLIGHTED because VEGAS is doing Fantasy Football and can gamble at the same time.........I know there has to be some DEALS around..Check the NFBC message board and the prices at the FLAMINGO.. Everyone kept saying "what a deal" they were getting,the longer they waited the CHEAPER it got........I personally feel the NFFC loves to PROCLAIM that they are holding drafts in the BIG cities.NYC,CHICAGO,LAS VEGAS, and? It truely make alot of sense.$$$$$I am sticking to my guns that 4.5 hours is the MAX..I would probably shoot to VEGAS and probably save $$$ instead of TRUMPVILLE......Sorry for the book, just my $.02

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:16 pm

Originally posted by kapefear:
Any decisions Greg on NBC 1st, then "main event" at night? I know you were concerned with the time and you didnt want it to effect your best and most competitive city...Oh if you guys were unsure that would be NYC.... I am leaning towards keeping the schedule same as this year with the NFFC Classic first and the NFFC Primetime second. We have five years of folks drafting the 14-team Classic early on that date and I think we'll keep it that way. More to come this week once I get this crazy baseball magazine put to press.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:48 pm

After paying for $50 parking and another $10 for tolls the first few years traveling from Jersey to NYC, I started taking the bus for $20 round trip two years ago.

WHAT WAS I THINKING THE FIRST FEW YEARS????

Pete

renman

Post by renman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:34 pm

So if I am reading correctly. The few (who have posted on the topic) from the NYC market would be more than willing to draft in a less "sexy" setting if it meant more money toward the prize fund...

Interesting topic to discuss.

Drafting somewhere around the Meadowlands can still be called "New York" promotionally as one of the regional locations since the Jets and Giants are both called "New York" even though they play at the Meadowlands right?

[ February 18, 2009, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]