Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

alanr824

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by alanr824 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Originally posted by Sandman62:
Interesting article on CBS Sports. Emphasis added by me.

Brady, Patriots put emphatic end to Tebow hype (for now)
Sunday January 15, 2012 - 1:57 AM

By Mike Freeman | CBSSports.com National NFL Insider

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The Tim Tebow phenomenon died tonight.

It died painfully, in the wind-chilled air of Gillette Stadium. It was a miserable and ugly finish to a season of hope, hysteria and promise. Last week, after beating the Steelers, Tebow was the toast of pop culture. This time, on the backend of a 45-10 beatdown of the Broncos, he was just toast.

The best defensive mind in the history of football, Bill Belichick, despite possessing the worst defense in the sport, deconstructed Tebow like the quarterback was a pasta dish on Top Chef. Who knows what will happen to Tebow next season. That's not important for the moment. What is important is right now and how this was bad. This was as bad as it gets.

One small indicator of what the Patriots did to Tebow comes out of this little statistic. Tebow had three pass completions in the first half. Tom Brady tossed five touchdown passes in the first half, the most in NFL postseason history. Repeating: that's five touchdown passes to three completions.

The reason the Patriots were able to do to Tebow what the Steelers -- owners of the best defense in football -- could not last week smarter strategy. The Patriots basically ignored Tebow as a run threat in the option plays and on passing downs rushed with discipline, limiting escape routes for Tebow and mixing their coverages to confuse. You could almost see Tebow straining to think.

Against Pittsburgh, and as he has done much of the season, Tebow's reads were uber-simplified. But the single-read-and-done approach can be dangerous, and against a smart mind like Belichick it can be lethal. As the Patriots piled on points the stress applied to Tebow's shoulders grew until his back broke.

It is true Tebow wasn't helped much and he can't be solely blamed for what will be one of the worst playoff losses in the history of the Broncos. There were moments when, literally, Denver's defense was afraid to tackle 265-pound tight end Rob Gronkowski. I mean, flat-out scared. And the Broncos secondary couldn't cover a beached whale.

As a result of Denver's total collapsing in on itself, the Patriots assembled a slew of offensive marks. They scored more points than the Sacramento Kings. But that's the story for this coming week as the Patriots are now the clear favorites to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. The story for now -- for right now -- is Tebow.

"The run was a lot of fun," Tebow said of the year. "A lot of ups and downs but we really try to block everything on the outside off and just enjoy the relationships with teammates and coaches, and work and try to get better. And I feel like we did that all year. We just didn't put together a good enough performance tonight."

In the end, he proved a great many people both wrong and right. His doubters, like me, didn't believe Tebow could win a single NFL game, let alone reach the divisional round of the playoffs. Yet Tebow also showed his main weakness -- throwing the football -- can at times be impossible for Denver's offense to overcome. It's difficult for a quarterback to win consistently if he can't throw and damn near impossible to beat the Patriots.

Tebow completed just 9 of 26 pass attempts for 136 yards. Those aren't isolated numbers for him. He's had statistics like that before. The Broncos can cover Tebow's weakness in spots or even in longer stretches, but it can't consistently be done in the playoffs.

In the end, Tebow was more Saturday Night Live than Saturday night special.

Watching the juxtaposition of the two throwers was remarkable. Brady tossed one interception but otherwise was flawless, his throwing motion perfect, his aim locked. Tebow again had difficulty reading defenses and when he couldn't run, his poise disintegrated. The biggest reason Tebow was sacked five times is because he held onto the football too long.

Towards the end of the game Brady punted on third down (there was a brawl between Patriots and Broncos players after it). It was a beautiful kick. A tighter spiral than almost all of Tebow's throws on the evening.

Yes, the Tebow phenomenon is dead. For now.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1687 ... pe-for-now
Really? Who gives a crap about some CBS Sports Analyst... the same guy that predicted the Rams to make the playoffs and the Jets to win the super bowl. He took all of his anaylsis from the Patriot beat reporter and please Sandman.. Give it up until next year when you can prove your point.. (or not) .. For now, WHO CARES? Nothing you say or any scientifical architecural analagies can change the fact that the guy brought his team to the playoffs on his shoulders.. a team that was dead without him. Or, you could go find another 50 articles or twisted numbers to help you prove NOTHING!

Sandman62

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:00 am

I could care less about his predictions. In this article, he's reviewing a game that already occurred. My point was that at least someone else saw what I saw in that game - a QB who often looked confused on his reads and held onto the ball too long. So not ALL his sacks and hurries were due to his offensive line, as suggested.

Keep reminding us though how he brought his team to the playoffs. How many extra fantasy points do we get for that again? Oh, same amount as for being a nice guy. Gotcha! ;)

As for waiting til next year to prove anything... it sure looks like that's been done already. Precious few will still consider him a QB1. Is it THAT hard to admit that maybe the hype got so out of control that it clouded fantasy football judgment? :rolleyes: [No need to answer that, as it obviously is impossible.]

Sandman62

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:33 am

BTW, where is Old School after this latest game? He was pretty vocal after DEN beat PIT, but nowhere to be seen after this game. Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Old School:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Can't wait to hear the excuses people make for why Tebow got it done today. :D Exactly tom. Just shows how little they know about football and how much they know about hate.[/QUOTE]Originally posted by Old School:
You are right Al, but you should know you can' t use facts to argue against ignorance.

[ January 16, 2012, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

TR

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by TR » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:40 am

BTW, where is Old School after this latest game? He was pretty vocal after DEN beat PIT, but nowhere to be seen after this game. Hmmm... :rolleyes:

quote:Originally posted by Old School:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Can't wait to hear the excuses people make for why Tebow got it done today. :D Exactly tom. Just shows how little they know about football and how much they know about hate.[/QUOTE]Originally posted by Old School:
You are right Al, but you should know you can' t use facts to argue against ignorance.
[/QUOTE]Isn't Old School the one who said tebow will win at least 1 championship if denver builds their offense around him....~crickets~....lol

Sandman62

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:49 am

Just saw this one on Facebook.

TR

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by TR » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:54 am

Just saw this one on Facebook.

lol that's classic

TR

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by TR » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:10 am

From Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback...

The reality of Tebow's 2011 season is he had some great moments and eight wins. But he also plateaued. He simply has to be more accurate to have a chance to be a long-term NFL quarterback. Check out the first five quarterback starts of the season, with Kyle Orton playing, and the last five starts, all by Tebow.
Orton-Tebow Comparison
W-L Points Comp.Pct. TD-Int Rating
First 5 games (Orton) 1-4 105 .587 8-7 75.7
Last 5 games (Tebow) 1-4 79 .402 3-4 60.5

This is a critical offseason for Tebow. There's no question he'll put in the work. The only question is this: Is he physically capable of training his arm and his head to be a significantly more accurate passer? If so, he'll have a long career. But accuracy doesn't often increase significantly in NFL quarterbacks. It can get better, but most often the improvements come in small doses. We shall see.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z1jdNbzFFE

bobsgym

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by bobsgym » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Just to make sure I understand the formula:

- All Denver victories are due to Tebow.
- All Denver losses are everyone else's fault.

Gotcha! I'm one and done on this one but here goes:

Go back and count the number of non-Tebow reasons that you gave for Tebow-led wins. I guess they are facts (not excuses) when they come from you.

In my opinion:

He isn't a very good QB right now.
He is better for fantasy than reality.
Both sides are emotionally vested.
He may or may not improve.
His leadership qualities and ability to run overcome some of his horrid mechanics.

We all know these things.

If we were all forced to bet our houses on his 2012 fantasy rank +/-2 the Tebow fans would back off and probably give him an 11 and the Tebow fan-haters would back off and give him a 16.

Bob

[ January 16, 2012, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: BobSquad ]
Wayne Ellis's Waterboy

KenGill

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by KenGill » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:29 pm

In my opinion:

His leadership qualities and ability to run overcome some of his horrid mechanics.
----------------------------------------------------------
That's the fact, Jack.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

TR

Tim Tebow - Let's Talk

Post by TR » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:48 pm

Originally posted by TOXIC ASSETS:
In my opinion:

----------------------------------------------------------
That's the fact, Jack. I agree on all counts....I am emotionally vested mainly because the media has rammed this mediocre at best qb tebow down our throats because they want him to succeed so badly. My girlfriend isn't into football, but I listen to sports radio or have espn on regularly...she asked me who this tim tebow was because she was so sick of hearing his name...like really annoyed....I am glad to know the other more deserving sports stories are getting talked about once again, and that thiis out of control sideshow has cooled off considerably since the latest debacle.