TOP 10 ALL-TIME FAVORITE R&R BANDS

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:47 am

a top 10 list that doesn't include Pearl Jam as #1 is a joke
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:42 am

Snake, when I saw Mott the Hoople as your #1, I thought this would be a fun thread. I guess you're serious that Mott the Hoople is your favorite band...lol...I retracted my bottom 10.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:18 pm

How do you classify R&R? Could Floyd be rock-n-roll? How about Limp Bizkit? ;) Kidding, they helped ruin R&R. Anyways....

1.Pink Floyd(and not the radio friendly stuff, the 30 min songs from concerts.) They are one of the most diverse bands ever formed. The Syd years are so much different than the Waters era, and the Gilmour era is different as well. They infuse jazz, r&b, pyschedelic, classical, etc...into many of their songs...usually at the same time. I know everyones heard the Dark Side and Wall music, but their "non-popular" albums are fantastic. But nothing can compare to their 60's concerts before they even entered a studio.

2. The Beatles, everything from the teen bop to the acid years, to the solo gigs.

3. Metallica, even though I don't listen to them anymore. But I used to worship them, so they have to be #3 for me.

4.Hendrix(again, not the popular music) Hendrix with "The Band of Gypsies" was some great music. As with Floyd, I would've love to see what he could've done with current technology.

I guess I really can't make a top 10 R&R list as the genre is so broad now.

Nirvana was good, but didn't put out enough music for me to consider them "great" like many others. I actually think the Foo Fighters have better songs than Nirvana.

Pearl Jam was tight in the early years, but their music lost something in my eyes after the 4th record.

Soundgarden was pretty good. The Kinks did their thing. Love Bob Marley. Can handle Zeppelin. And a former NFFC'er, Meatloafs "Bat Out Of Hell" is in my fav collection. Man, I could go on and on...Cursive, Bright Eyes, The Shins, Wilco, Beastie Boys, N.W.A., Getto Boys, Scarface, Slick Rick, Das EFX, 2Pac, Mozart, George Strait, Blink 182.

I seriously enjoy EVERY genre of music. I am not limited to one specific style as the majority seem to be. I know some of you have saw this before, but I have about 100 GIGABYTES of music and this isn't counting my 100's of records.

I rarely listen to secular music anymore, as I pawned the majority of my cd's and am strictly a Christian music listener now. Many probably think "Laaa, Praise The Lord, etc" when they think Christian music, but in all honesty, Christian music blows away all of the secular music permeating the airwaves today. I would give my fav Christian music list, but I probably have already bored everyone who's actually read this far.

And for you SNAKE, I must say the Stones are one of the most overrated bands ever! And I downloaded a bunch of Mott's songs over the summer and only found one or two that were even remotely decent. Sorry, but I don't hear what you are hearing.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:24 pm

1) The Doors
2) Led Zep
3) Rolling Stones
4) Van Halen (w/ David Lee Roth)
5) Metallica
6) The Who
7) Red Hot Chili Peppers
8) Black Sabbath/ Ozzy
9) Creed
10) Aerosmith

Honorable Mention-
The Beatles, The Cars, The Kinks, Boston, Pantera, Rage Against the Machine, Sound Garden, Blondie, Life of Agony, Tool, Bon Jovi, Stevie Ray Vaughn, George Thourogood, Nirvana, Skid Row,Pink Floyd

[ October 19, 2006, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: FISHER ]
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:30 pm

I will go out on a limb and say that my rock and roll history knowledge is second to none to anyone in NFFC...

You think I am into late round steal RB's (like maurice jones drew)....

test the kings knowledge @ music

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:30 pm

No mention of Queensryche yet, even as an honorable mention? That's almost criminal.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:34 pm

I did forget alot of groups