2009 Fantasy Football Awards

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:23 am

With the season now in the rear view mirror, I thought I'd post some of my fantasy awards for 2009. So here goes:

MVP
Chris Johnson - Who else? He rushed for 2,000 yards, scored 80-yard touchdowns with more ease than some players do from a yard out and proved to be that rarest of qualities - an outstanding value pick among the first 10-15 selections on Draft Day.

Bust
Matt Forte - As always, there were a number of deserving candidates. Jay Cutler, Eddie Royal and Marion Barber come to mind. But none of them were Top 3 picks. Forte was. He was this year's version of Joseph Addai. An early first-round pick who likely killed his fantasy owners with poor play from the start of the season until the end.

Surprise Story
Miles Austin - Again, a lot of great candidates to choose from. Few people expected Vernon Davis to be a stud TE or Cedric Benson to be a RB1. But hardly anybody envisioned Austin becoming a Top 10 WR but that's where he finished in most scoring systems. He's the real deal and if you have him in a Keeper or Dynasty League, you probably haven't stopped smiling.

More Proof You Should Never Draft A Defense Before The End Of Your Draft
The Saints - New Orleans finished No. 1 in NFFC scoring among defenses and special teams. Chances are, they were sitting on a lot of Waiver Wires after Week 1.

The Most Frustrating Player Of The Year
Jay Cutler - I'm sure people will have plenty of other examples but this one strikes close to home because I had Cutler in a number of leagues this year. He started off like gangbusters but went belly-up in the second half of the season. His nadir was a putrid performance against the Ravens in Week 15. So what does he do after that? He tears up the Vikings and Lions in the last two games of the season. He goes from beyond horrible to studly in the blink of an eye. Go figure.

The Fantasy Performance Of The Year
Chris Johnson in Week 2 - Brandon Marshall's 21-catch barrage against the Colts in Week 14 was very impressive, but it pales in comparison's to what Johnson did against the Texans in Week 2. Not only did he tear Houston up for 197 yards rushing, he also had 87 yards receiving and scored three touchdowns. Did I mention his TDs covered 57, 69 and 91 yards? That's just sick.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks for expanding my vocabulary!

I was sitting there squinting my eyes, trying to re-arrange what that word may have been had it been a typo...then when all logic failed...I looked it up! :D

nadir

Pronunciation: ˈnā-ˌdir, ˈnā-dər

1 : the point of the celestial sphere that is directly opposite the zenith and vertically downward from the observer

2 : the lowest point

[ January 07, 2010, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:42 am

Though I agree he had a fine season, Smith was drafted much higher, Glenn. There were quite a few people who projected him to be a WR3. He outperformed those expectations but he was someone quite a few people believed you could win with as a starter this season. I don't know of too many people who were starting Austin in Week 1 or Week 2.

[ January 07, 2010, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich