2 SPOTS LEFT - WED Sep 5, 8PM, Debut NFL Contract Lge, Vegas

kjduke

2 SPOTS LEFT - WED Sep 5, 8PM, Debut NFL Contract Lge, Vegas

Post by kjduke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:55 am

Greg has agreed to offer a draft time in Vegas for this one-of-a-kind, high % payout league. Only one draft will be offered in this format. I have run a similar style league along with the NFBC for the past few seasons - it is the most fun draft of the baseball season for many players, but it has never been offered as a live event and never as a football league.

The NFLC League entry fee is based on which players you choose to draft, at the rate of $10 per $1 million dollars of your players' actual NFL salary cap figure for 2012 . Some teams are likely to spend freely to build powerhouse teams, while others compete mainly for the MOY prize with with a payroll near the league minimum $300.

Unlike a standard draft, an owner in this league must consider the cost of a player's contract, in addition to potential production. Peyton Manning is currently the highest paid player in the NFL. Based on his $18 million salary, it will cost $180 to draft him. Each round owners will have to judge which player brings the most value to their team for the price.

• Draft date: Wed, Sep 5 at NFFC Kickoff-Party, 8pm start time
• 12 or 14 teams, 30 rounds, 3RR
• Bidding for draft slots (with real money)
• Draft Champions scoring format (no free agents, lineups are set/optimized automatically)
• Basic rules of the NFFC DC apply except for the calculation of entry fees and prize structure, as described below.

ENTRY FEES
Entry fees will vary by team, equal to each team’s total payroll. Each player drafted will carry a payroll cost of $10 per $1 million of their actual NFL salary cap figure (rounded to the nearest million, but with a $1 million minimum).

The payroll cost of the defense/special teams position is based on the NFL team’s total salary cap figure for all defensive players, divided by the number (11) of defensive starters.

A list of all players over the $10 minimum will be provided to team owners in advance. This list will serve as the official player price sheet even though it may not include the latest contract signings, or may contain erroneous calculations. The cost of all unlisted players will be $10.

Each team will pay the NFFC a $150 deposit plus a $100 events fee (which includes access to the NFFC kickoff party with free food and drinks). The deposit amount will go towards a $1500 payment from the NFFC to the 1st place winner. All other entry fees go into a private pool, which will be paid in full to the winners. Immediately after the draft in Las Vegas, owners must pay the balance of their team’s total payroll (less the deposit) by cash or check into a privately-held payroll pool.

BIDDING FOR YOUR DRAFT SLOT
Open bidding will commence with slot #1 and go in descending order. Zero dollars is an acceptable opening bid, and bids will go in $10 increments. After bidding is final for slot #1, the winning bidder will take their place at the table and select a player, after which bidding will commence for slot #2 for the remaining unseated players. This will continue through the entire first round.

If there are no bids for a particular draft slot (for example if all remaining bidders prefer a later slot), that slot will be skipped in the bidding process and we'll go on to the next slot. If this happens, bidding would loop back to any open slots after bidding for slot #14 is complete. Likewise, if a first round slot is skipped, draft selections would continue with later slots picking before the skipped slot for the first round only. For example, if there are 4 remaining bidders and all wanted the #14 slot and failed to bid on #11-13, the winning bid for slot #14 would pick ahead of #11-13 in the first round. Once all slots are filled, all rounds after round one would go in the normal 3RR order.

All money bids will be added to your team payroll and will be due at the end of the draft. They also will count against your payroll for the MOY calculation.

PRIZE STRUCTURE
1st 35% of private pool payroll + $1500
2nd 25% …
3rd 15% …
MOY 25% …

(Assuming a league payroll near $13,000 (based on 14 tms), total payouts would be appx:)
1st $5350
2nd $2750
3rd $1650
MOY $2750
(Draft slot bidding is likely to increase the prize pool beyond this amount).

Payouts for 1st-3rd place are based solely on points scored.

The Manager of the Year (MOY) payout, however, is awarded to the team that scores the most points relative to team payroll, with the following modified scoring:

• Each team will be assigned a point multiplier (rounded to 1/100th) based on their relative payroll. The league avg payroll divided by team payroll is the point multiplier. For example, if averageg payroll is $1000 and a team’s payroll is $800, that team’s point multiplier would be 1.25.
• Any team with a calculated multiplier over 1.50 will be reduced to 1.50 (there is no lower limit for high payroll teams).
• MOY will be awarded to the team having the highest number of actual points times it’s multiplier. (Low payroll teams will have a multiplier over 1, so pts will increase, while high payroll teams will have a multiplier of less than one, so pts will decrease).
Last edited by kjduke on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 26 times in total.

kjduke

Re: The Debut NFL Contract League in Las Vegas

Post by kjduke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:46 am

A preliminary list of player salaries is here:

http://nflcontract.blogspot.com/

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:58 am

If date changes to Friday or Saturday, I’d be in

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:32 am

Two more veterans have jumped in. 11 more spots.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Kevin the only adjustment I would suggest is for the DST - I don't think it is fair to pay for the average of the starting eleven when so many are played who are at league minimum - give that there is a pretty low spread on the DSTs salary as you show them, I would suggest taking the lowest $30 and calling that $10 and them adjusting the rest ....so a $60 now would be $40

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:15 pm

Captain Hook wrote:Kevin the only adjustment I would suggest is for the DST - I don't think it is fair to pay for the average of the starting eleven when so many are played who are at league minimum - give that there is a pretty low spread on the DSTs salary as you show them, I would suggest taking the lowest $30 and calling that $10 and them adjusting the rest ....so a $60 now would be $40

Thanks for the input Perry, I thought about the price of D's for awhile ... because even lowly defenses are valuable in the DC format, I thought the formula made sense. Also, that's a bit of what makes this league interesting - a lot of players are poor values relative to what they can do for you, but the longer the draft goes the pressure builds to pay up for something that might have value, like a crappy 3rd defense, over being cheap and drafting someone who may not see the field.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:19 pm

KJ, I'll be flying in on Wednesday. What time do you think you'd be starting this draft?

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Nice idea KJ..doing a contract league live. Interested to hear how it goes. Us East coasters will miss out:( I do enjoy the Contract baseball league tho. Hopefully Jeff and I make it out to Vegas for baseball in the spring. Maybe you do a live Vegas contract league there if this one goes well.

Best of luck with this format.

Andy

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Glenneration X wrote:KJ, I'll be flying in on Wednesday. What time do you think you'd be starting this draft?
Get an early flight Glenn! This should end up looking like an all-star league, perfect fit for you.

We've discussed somewhere around noon or early afternoon, but no time is set at this point.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:51 pm

kjduke wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:KJ, I'll be flying in on Wednesday. What time do you think you'd be starting this draft?
Get an early flight Glenn! This should end up looking like an all-star league, perfect fit for you.

We've discussed somewhere around noon or early afternoon, but no time is set at this point.
KJ, how long does a league like this usually take? This is straight draft, right, just with known values of what it will cost with each pick? The Wednesday game starts at 4:20 or 4:30 PT, so pick an appropriate time ahead of that to finish, have a pre-game drink and fill out some squares in the quarters pool!! :mrgreen:
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius