MJD Returns - Big Deal!

Red Zone King

MJD Returns - Big Deal!

Post by Red Zone King » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:17 am

So now the NFL season can begin with the return of Maurice Jones-Drew. Let's all just bow down and kiss his Superbowl ring...oh that's right...he doesn't have one.

It's nice that he finally decided to waltz on in to the locker room, deciding that his holdout was an effort in futility and now he's ready to play.

I know it's a business and players want big money NOW in case of an injury and blah, blah, blah, but before MJD owners get too excited, here's a few things to consider before he starts putting up points:

He's not in football shape
He has to learn a new playbook
His lack of preparation leaves him vulnerable and increases his risk of injury early
He has a poor attitude

If I'm a player who has been busting ass the entire preseason, I'm not thrilled he's back. As a matter of fact, he kind of throws a monkey wrench into the whole scheme because we've game planned without taking MJD into consideration.

I would speculate that MJD gets phased back into the offense slowly. I doubt he gets any touches in week 1 or week 2, maybe in week 3 he and Jennings split touches. By week 4 maybe he's back in football shape. By week 5 maybe he has the plays down, which puts him back in the mix for his normal point production by week 6 barring any injury.

Is MJD the Jaguar's savior - NO.

Gabbert, Jennings, Blackmon, and Lewis were starting to gel as a unit. The Jags are by no means a playoff team, but Jones-Drew's late arrival screws everything up because now they have to start from scratch and incorporate him into the system.

I didn't draft MJD...I took Jennings. I figure I can get some decent points from him for about 4 weeks depending on the matchups.

If you drafted MJD (sorry to hear that) I recommend being cautious and that you monitor his progress before inserting him into your lineup with the idea that he's going to be the fantasy stud he was last year.

As you can probably tell, I disagree with the way MJD handled this situation because he had a contract and he should have honored it.

thelunger

Re: MJD Returns - Big Deal!

Post by thelunger » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:11 am

i agree with you in the fact that mjd mishandled this whole thing but this is a business and to put it
in poker terms he tried to bluff and they called his bluff.i dont think he is that far from being in football shape and i am glad i picked him in my 12 teamer last night as the 32nd pick and backed him up with jennings! im ready for some football!

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Sounds like a bunch of "sour grapes" from somebody that took a chance on Jennings hoping MJD wouldn't show up... :roll:
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

SS

Post by SS » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:27 pm

I don't think it's sour grapes. They have a point, MJD shot himself in the foot by holding out this long. Did he get a new contract? No. He's risking injury by doing this, i.e. Chris Johnson last year and his injury due to holding out.

My feeling is that MJD won't start til October and Jennings will fill in as starter til then.
2010 NFFC Classic Consolation Bracket 2nd Place

DonnyG.

Post by DonnyG. » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:23 pm

FWIW i think mjd shows up in great shape and ready to play. The comparisons with chris johnson aren't fair as they are two completely different people. Mjd is a pro - he's going to be ready to ball from the get-go.

SS

Post by SS » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:48 pm

I don't think he's in "football shape." There is no chance he starts in Week 1, if he even sees the field. Jacksonville will play it slow with him...
2010 NFFC Classic Consolation Bracket 2nd Place

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:48 am

there's really no reason to think he won't be his old self after a week or two though. jennings gets 8 carries/game tops by week 3.