Green Bay Fake FG Touchdown

jdferenc

Green Bay Fake FG Touchdown

Post by jdferenc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Was really excited when I saw GB score that TD until I realized the DST gets no points for that. Damn!
Josh Ferenc
2005 NFFC Classic Champion
Free-Rolling In The NFFC For Life Baby!

particra

Re: Green Bay Fake FG Touchdown

Post by particra » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:45 pm

FWIW, that is a dumbass rule.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:55 pm

particra wrote:FWIW, that is a dumbass rule.
Why? It's not a return and a 4th down play. Same as if you went for 4th down and scored.

Should have started Crabtree! :lol:

particra

Post by particra » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:17 pm

BillyWaz wrote:
particra wrote:FWIW, that is a dumbass rule.
Why? It's not a return and a 4th down play. Same as if you went for 4th down and scored.

Should have started Crabtree! :lol:
I suppose. On the other hand, if there is a guy on the field who wears a special kicking shoe, any play that follows should be special teams.

kingofbeers

Post by kingofbeers » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:31 pm

The rules indicate that since the holder threw a pass, the scoring goes to the individual players. What if the fake FG was a run? I don't see that covered?

3.6 points for every touchdown (interception return, defensive fumble return, punt or kickoff return, blocked field goal return, blocked punt return). All special teams and defensive points are awarded to the team responsible, not the individual player. Should a kicker, punter or field goal holder throw a pass off a fake attempt, however, the offensive output for that offensive play would go towards the individual player, not the specials team. Also, any lost fumble or "muff" on a specials team play does not result in negative points for that individual player.

Henry Muto

Post by Henry Muto » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:11 pm

If it was a run then the guy running the ball gets a rushing TD. This makes sense to me but what doesn't make sense is when my guy scores a TD on a PR or KR TD and he gets nothing. So if had Cobb playing tonight I would be rooting against my own player ? Now that makes no sense. To have to root against your own guy because if he scores you get nothing and it takes him off the field for any more chances to score. Said it once said it 1,000 times that is the only thing wrong with this contest that you have to root against your own player because that never makes sense.
2014 RTS Fantasy Championship National Champion ($200,000 winner) (2460 teams)
2012 NFFC Online National Champion ($100,000 winner) (1872 teams)
2014 DFWC National Champion (288 teams)
2012 NFFC Online 4th Place Overall

Red Zone King

Post by Red Zone King » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 am

Not sure what all the confusion is about...a fake FG or punt turns into an offensive play (no pun intended) :roll:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:04 am

jdferenc wrote:Was really excited when I saw GB score that TD until I realized the DST gets no points for that. Damn!
Yeah, sorry about that Josh. Take it up with the NFL, which considers this a fourth down run.

Man, that was a gutsy gamble by McCarthy. In a 3-0 game with a fourth and 23 situation, that was risky. But it was a gamble that paid off. Crazy game last night.

These Thursday games are always so goofy. The road team barely has any time to prepare for them after a Sunday game. I wish we didn't have them because the results are so goofy, but it was still fun to watch a meaningful game last night. I didn't expect the outcome with Marshall being shut down (I think I predicted 25 catches for him :lol: ), but we'll take it.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:47 am

Henry Muto wrote:If it was a run then the guy running the ball gets a rushing TD. This makes sense to me but what doesn't make sense is when my guy scores a TD on a PR or KR TD and he gets nothing. So if had Cobb playing tonight I would be rooting against my own player ? Now that makes no sense. To have to root against your own guy because if he scores you get nothing and it takes him off the field for any more chances to score. Said it once said it 1,000 times that is the only thing wrong with this contest that you have to root against your own player because that never makes sense.
I agree Henry. Played against the Denver D a few years back and had Eddie Royal. Eddie caught ZERO balls in the game, but returned TWO TD's. I ended up losing by 7 or 8 points. So basically my own player (by doing well and scoring TD's) cost me the win. :(

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:10 am

As much as it may have felt like an opportunity lost, unless your league specifically awards points to offensive players for their special teams plays, then I don't see the confusion.

We draft OFFENSIVE players, KICKERS and DSTs. A play isn't a "special teams" play just because the personnel on the field are usually associated with the Special Teams unit. All that matters is the type of PLAY the 11 players on the field execute. But until such time as a ball is actually kicked (FG or punt), the PLAY isn't yet a special teams play; it's just offense and defense (normally on 4th down). So any runs, passes, TDs, etc. - even after fakes or muffs - are still offense and defense and you only get credit if you have the involved (individual or team defense) players . It's the same as if the normal starting offense and defense were on the field.

Now, once the ball is actually kicked, a SPECIAL TEAMS play has begun. If it's blocked and returned for a TD by the non-kicking team, then that's scored only for the special teams unit (DST). Even when the non-kicking team fields a punt or kick or recovers the ball after a block, then on the return they fumble it back to the kicking team, who in turn scores,… the fact that the play became a special teams play upon the kick means that the offensive players should not get credit for it either. Rather, that team's special teams unit (DST) should get credit because as soon as the ball was kicked, all that was on the field, for fantasy purposes, were two SPECIAL TEAMS units. The only way an offensive player should ever get credit is on OFFENSIVE plays. Once either team has executed a special teams play (by actually kicking the ball), then any return fumble recovery TDs should be credited only to the appropriate DST.

If these guidelines are followed, there should never be any debate about "double awarding" and giving points to both a DST and an individual player. Your offensive player became ineligible for individual offensive scoring as soon as either team kicked the ball and they became special teams players. At that point, all that can occur is DST scoring.