NFFC 2013: HEAD to HEAD should be DEAD

TradeStar28

NFFC 2013: HEAD to HEAD should be DEAD

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:29 pm

I always liked the fact that the rules in NFFC have evolved to make the league as fair and enjoyable as possible....In the beginning of NFFC (2004?) it was fun to play head to head during the regular season because we were used to it in our home leagues. In these home leagues/office leagues, you know the people who are competing against you, and it is fun to trash talk and have rivalries. In the beginning of NFFC, the trend was to go and have a great amount of fun at the live draft event in the different cities and meet the people on the message forums as well as meeting new people who are in your league.

But the tide has changed big time in high stakes fantasy football. A large amount of the drafts are now done online as people like the conveinence of it especially with family and the timing of Labor Day. Plus the cost of travel is higher.

So the need for head to head aspect in NFFC is really not important anymore. But this is not the main reason. I also factor in that when you play head to head vs opponents in Weeks 1-13 (in Classic) and Weeks 3-13 (in Primetime) the luck of the draw also comes into play during the bye weeks. There is no way to forecast opponents and scheduling so their is no skill involved when your team is scheduled to play head to head vs other teams when they have a minimal amount of players who have a bye. Some guys in any particular league can get lucky with a schedule where their opponents have top players off during those particular weeks. Ofcourse, I can be lucky and play a schedule where as my opponents have their big guns on a bye week and now I am at an advantage.

With that being said.....the Classic should be a league where the top 7 highest scoring teams get the win and the bottom 7 get the loss. Same thing with the Primetime, top 6 get win and bottom 6 get loss.

I think it is more exciting to try to place in the top 6 (or 7 depending on league) than trying to beat the one guy head to head who is playing me when my studs are on the bye week.

And the third reason is that you may have a team in head to head now who beats you 170-160. And to get a loss when putting up 160 points really sucks. It is unnecessary. You can not control the schedule at all. And this type of loss could impact your season in some way , shape or form.

So, Greg and Tom, please consider ending head to head in 2013 and beyond......and let's compete like we do in the playoff rounds, where the top scoring teams have the best shot to fairly win.

:geek:
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

ForLoveOfTheGame

Re: NFFC 2013: HEAD to HEAD should be DEAD

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:55 am

I've been driving this train my whole life. Nothing like seeing your week 1 opponent who went all out in week 1 against you playing someone you need to lose in the last week but he's not updating his lineup by then and starting 3 hurt players, awesome! That's not fair at all and all the reason you need to change away from head to head

I don't think the NFFC will even 1% consider going away from head to head but I support the idea also! The best I've ever seen BY FAR was Fantasy Jungle, they did all play, so you were playing everyone every week. The team with the most points went 11-0 (in a 12 team league), 2nd most points 10-1, etc. Everyone is effected 100% the same, that's how it should be

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:50 am

This has been discussed and debated on this MB for years.

Bottom line: It's probably the fairest system, but it's not good for business. Too many teams get eliminated by mid-season and give up, limiting the contest's appeal and popularity. If a team struggles in Total Points, but gets lucky in Head to Head, then they stay interested, involved, and return next year to try again.

Is it fairest way to determine the best team? Not really. But in this increasingly competitive High Stakes environment, it's what most players expect, so it's necessary to survive.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:32 am

Shrink Attack wrote:This has been discussed and debated on this MB for years.

Bottom line: It's probably the fairest system, but it's not good for business. Too many teams get eliminated by mid-season and give up, limiting the contest's appeal and popularity. If a team struggles in Total Points, but gets lucky in Head to Head, then they stay interested, involved, and return next year to try again.

Is it fairest way to determine the best team? Not really. But in this increasingly competitive High Stakes environment, it's what most players expect, so it's necessary to survive.
Couldn't have said it better, Paul. :D

Red Zone King

Post by Red Zone King » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:58 am

Awwww....does baby need a tissue to dry his tears? :cry:

One key point you stated was the inability to forecast your opponents moves. Sounds like you like to think you can forecast the outcome on any given Sunday thus giving you some sort of "edge" over everyone else. Guess you're wrong aren't you? :o

Sounds like you think you can just waltz into the competition and draft a team full of studs and that everyone else you're competing against are a bunch of mindless idiots.

Sounds like you you don't do any homework and that you draft based upon the "rankings" and now your team sucks :lol: and you're getting beat and you want a do over so as to give you a better opportunity to win.

Head to Head competition keeps the playing field level. It means you have to take into consideration bye weeks and draft accordingly. It means you have to make the right moves and right decisions and not leave points on the bench. This whole rant on about Head to Head should be Dead indicates to me that you want it easy. It indicates that you think your drafting skills are far superior to most and that you can just draft a team that is going to rack up points and rack up points..HA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You dislike Head to Head competition because you have no control over what your opponent will do...who he sits....who he plays....it scares you. :cry: It also sounds like you're not very good at making the right decisions. Apparently it's too hard for you to decide who to play and who to bench...you don't want to have to make those decisions...it's too complicated for you.

Head to Head competition is the great equalizer.

In any competition, in order to win, you have to work for it and not expect that it be handed to you.

It's only week 3 so you better have a lot of Kleenex because you have 11 weeks to go. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old School

Post by Old School » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:30 am

RedZoneKing

No matter which side of the fence you're on, he should be able to post his viewpoint without getting attacked by
someone like you. Why cant you respond rationally like Shrink if u disagree? And dude, adding 500 smilies doesnt validate your point. I think you're just having a bad morning and someone pissed in your wheaties. :?

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:46 am

Red Zone King wrote:Awwww....does baby need a tissue to dry his tears? :cry:

One key point you stated was the inability to forecast your opponents moves. Sounds like you like to think you can forecast the outcome on any given Sunday thus giving you some sort of "edge" over everyone else. Guess you're wrong aren't you? :o

Sounds like you think you can just waltz into the competition and draft a team full of studs and that everyone else you're competing against are a bunch of mindless idiots.

Sounds like you you don't do any homework and that you draft based upon the "rankings" and now your team sucks :lol: and you're getting beat and you want a do over so as to give you a better opportunity to win.

Head to Head competition keeps the playing field level. It means you have to take into consideration bye weeks and draft accordingly. It means you have to make the right moves and right decisions and not leave points on the bench. This whole rant on about Head to Head should be Dead indicates to me that you want it easy. It indicates that you think your drafting skills are far superior to most and that you can just draft a team that is going to rack up points and rack up points..HA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You dislike Head to Head competition because you have no control over what your opponent will do...who he sits....who he plays....it scares you. :cry: It also sounds like you're not very good at making the right decisions. Apparently it's too hard for you to decide who to play and who to bench...you don't want to have to make those decisions...it's too complicated for you.

Head to Head competition is the great equalizer.

In any competition, in order to win, you have to work for it and not expect that it be handed to you.

It's only week 3 so you better have a lot of Kleenex because you have 11 weeks to go. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
First and foremost, it is obvious you should re-read my original post.

I am not advocating a Draft Champions style Main event.

I am not talking about bye weeks for my own team. I dont even look at bye weeks when I draft. I couldnt care less about them.

I am saying that the schedule during bye weeks is out of everyones control in regard to there opponent. So some teams may have an advantage if there scheduling luckily has them playing opponents who have players on bye weeks at a more consistent level.

My point is that the top 6 teams (in Primetime) and top 7 teams (in Classic) should get a win....

I dont give a flying fugg about playing you if you were even in my league and beating your ass as I probably would. I just want the best scores to win.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:58 am

Shrink Attack wrote:This has been discussed and debated on this MB for years.

Maybe instead of increasing the payouts for the league champion, 2nd and 3rd place they should give $100 a week to the top scorer in each league.... (cost would be 100 x 13=$1300 total)

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:19 am

H2H isn't going away in high stakes FF - the alternative is a dull game which was tried and failed.

It's part of the game like referees who blow calls, trash-time scoring and other FF injustices. You just have to deal with it and hope it evens out over a career.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:59 am

kjduke wrote:H2H isn't going away in high stakes FF - the alternative is a dull game which was tried and failed.

It's part of the game like referees who blow calls, trash-time scoring and other FF injustices. You just have to deal with it and hope it evens out over a career.
Why is it dull? You have more opportunity to get the win....I think that is more exciting....

Greg and Tom cannot control refs who blow calls, they cannot control trash time scoring, they cannot control injuries....

but they sure in hell can control that the top half scoring teams in a particular league should EARN the "W"....

I dont even look who my opponent is playing ever when submitting my lineup,,,,, I dont care if they are putting in Donald Brown, Donald Avery, Donald Duck or Donald Trump......I submit my roster by who will put up the MOST points on that particular week. I have 10 starting roster slots to fill.....I dont care if I have Eric Decker and my opponent has Peyton, If i have someone who i think will score more than Decker, I will start them. Doesnt matter even if i think that person is Ramses Barden (no i didnt have the ballz to start him over S. Smith carolina).....lol