Question about instant replay

Jack_Bauer

Question about instant replay

Post by Jack_Bauer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:26 am

I have going to make a point about something I have thought for many years. I think we all can agree that instant replay is an important and necessary part of the NFL now. The league is too big, the stakes too high, people care too much and the game is just too fast for officials on the field to get everything right. When we have HD tv's at home and lightening fast replays for fans and they see something called blatantly wrong (not talking about debatable calls that fans always scream about going their way) it just turns into a disaster without reply to get most/many (sadly not all) of these calls corrected.

Here is my question. Why do we need to stop the game... have an official walk off the field... To go under the hood that reminds me of camera in the Charlie Chaplin era, out in the elements, with screaming fans, to look at a monitor to make a decision? Why can't we have a "replay official" who is up in a cozy booth, with multiple monitors, who can get looks at calls in question instantly, with no distractions and within 30-45 seconds simply radio down the the call?

The same goes for baseball. We keep hearing "no!!!! we cannot have more replay!!!! it will slow down the games!!!! We need the human element!!!" The human element I want in sports are the players playing and the unscripted entertainment I get from that. I do not want that ruined by the human element of blown calls that can be all but erased with proper usage of replay.

Why can't we have a "replay official" who no one sees, who makes the decisions instantly and be done with it?