Week 5 Thoughts & Observations

Tom Kessenich

Week 5 Thoughts & Observations

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:18 pm

Here are some random thoughts and observations about this week’s action as I wonder if I could throw a better deep ball than Ryan Fitzpatrick:

As a Packers fan I have no words for what transpired in Indianapolis on Sunday other than they're in huge trouble. I don't see any way they win at Houston in Week 6 so Green Bay is staring 2-4 right in the face with two teams in the division (Minnesota and Chicago) playing much better football right now. That’s going to be a tough hole to climb out of.

There’s absolutely no question the Packers’ offense misses Greg Jennings. Badly. But the defense has been a disaster for most of the season other than the whupping they laid on Chicago in Week 2. It may be time to ask if Dom Capers is the right man for the coordinator’s job.

Jermichael Finley, you are dead to me.

Aaron Rodgers is the first reigning MVP to lose to two rookie quarterbacks. I realize he didn’t really lose to Russell Wilson in Week 3 but it still points to how bad things are in Green Bay right now.

That said, Andrew Luck is going to be a great one and Reggie Wayne is going to the Hall of Fame.

I guess I had a few words to say about that Epic Fail in Indy.

Maybe the Patriots won’t trade Wes Welker, after all.

I was on Sirius Radio on Friday and joked that Shane Vereen would score for the Patriots on Sunday. I just want everyone to know that while that did occur I do not profess to know the inner workings of the Mind of Belichick when it comes to how he’s going to handle his backfield.

Jamaal Charles rushed for roughly 3,000 yards in the first half on Sunday against the Ravens. The Chiefs had a first-and-goal at the Baltimore 1 with a chance to take control of the game and spring a huge upset. So, of course, you're giving the ball to Charles since the Ravens had shown no signs they could stop him, right? Oh no no no. You're going to call a quarterback sneak, watch Matt Cassel fumble and p**s away all the momentum you had the opportunity to grasp. There's nothing more enjoyable than watching NFL coaches make this game more complicated than it needs to be.

Hey Chiefs fans, I know you’re frustrated but booing Cassel after he got hurt was bush. You’re an embarrassment to the NFL with that type of behavior.

There’s the Joe Flacco who’s been on my fantasy teams in the past. I was wondering when you’d show up again.

Percy Harvin. Wow.

That Kyle Rudolph guy is pretty good at scoring touchowns.

Jay Cutler is easily one of the most unlikeable people in the NFL, but when he’s on his game he’s as much fun to watch play quarterback as anybody.

Dear Drew Brees, you're pretty good. Sincerely, the ghost of Johnny Unitas.

I’m sure it wasn’t fun watching Brees light your team up Chargers fans, but on the bright side it appears that idiotic Jackie Battle plan has been shelved.

In the last two weeks, I have one fewer reception than Dennis Pitta had in Week 4 and Jimmy Graham had in Week 5 combined. I'm just pointing that out in case someone starts me next week in your league and you want to laugh at them. Don't. I'm suddenly very viable.

After five weeks of the season, we can safely say the Saints, Titans, Redskins, Browns and Bills are all “Get Well” defenses. Meaning, you start all your key players against them with extreme confidence and you target viable sleepers against them too (like Robert Meachem vs. the Saints and Kendall Hunter vs. the Bills this week). The Packers’ D may soon join that group.

Remember all the talk in the preseason about whether a rookie RB could shine on a suspect offense? Trent Richardson’s laughing at all of you who doubted him.

I’d be laughing too if I had Richardson on any of my fantasy teams.

The Panthers are paying DeAngelo Williams $43 million. They are paying Jonathan Stewart $38 million. Williams and Stewart have 73 combined rushing attempts through five games. Carolina has a 1-4 record. Correlation? You be the judge.

After watching the Panthers-Seahawks game, I’m pretty sure Cam Newton was playing against Greg Olsen in his fantasy league this week.

I really like Nicole Zaloumis on the NFL Network. I just thought everyone needed to know that.

Tony Gonzalez is ageless.

Julio Jones caught 10 passes on Sunday vs. the Redskins. I’m guessing Mike Smith has Jones on his fantasy team and made sure Dirk Koetter knew that this week.

There isn’t a player in the NFL I feel worse for than Maurice Jones-Drew. It has to absolutely suck being MJD on that horrible team. Talk about greatness being wasted.

Robert Griffin III likely learned a valuable lesson on Sunday about the necessity of playing it safe every once in a while. Unfortunately, it was a rather painful lesson.

I hope Billy Cundiff was renting in Washington.

Volume is huge for running backs in fantasy. The more volume you receive, the more fantasy value you typically carry. Unless you’re Chris Johnson or Ryan Williams. Then all the volume in the world can’t save you.

I don't wish injury on anyone but if there's a silver lining to Ryan Williams being done for the year is it will prevent me from starting him in a dream matchup against the Bills next week only to watch him labor to his usual 2-3 points per game. #CrisisAverted

There may not be a player in the NFL who does more in Garbage Time than Kendall Wright. By my count, he caught 837 passes in the final four minutes against the Vikings on Sunday.

Remember the past few weeks when I talked about how badly the Steelers needed Rashard Mendenhall back to boost their sorry run game? Any questions about that now?

At the risk of looking ahead to Week 6, A.J. Green vs. Joe Haden should be an awful lot of fun to watch.

I can’t remember the last time I saw a quarterback have as much trouble holding onto the football as Michael Vick. On the bright side at least he’s a pocket quarterback who gets rid of the ball quickly and his offensive line is stout and does a great job of protecting him.

Oh wait …

Hold on Reggie Wayne just caught another pass.

And finally, there is nothing worse in fantasy football than having to wait seven days to remove the stench of a bad week. Your entire week is spent staring at the past week’s lousy result, wondering why the fantasy gods singled you out for frustration and saying all the prayers you can that Jimmy Graham isn’t seriously injured. Or maybe that’s just me.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Route C

Re: Week 5 Thoughts & Observations

Post by Route C » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:42 pm

I think Ron Rivera has to start assuming responsibility for Cam Newtons reckless selfish play. You gotta give the young players some direction. Athletic ability alone isn't going to get it when it's 11 on 11. One thing I've noticed this year is Cam doesn't have a plan "C". It's run read then tuck and run. Sometimes it's skip the read, tuck and run. The guy could end up as the next Vince Young if he doesn't get some mentoring to hone his incredible skillset.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Route C wrote:I think Ron Rivera has to start assuming responsibility for Cam Newtons reckless selfish play. You gotta give the young players some direction. Athletic ability alone isn't going to get it when it's 11 on 11. One thing I've noticed this year is Cam doesn't have a plan "C". It's run read then tuck and run. Sometimes it's skip the read, tuck and run. The guy could end up as the next Vince Young if he doesn't get some mentoring to hone his incredible skillset.
I agree that the play calling in Carolina is awful. DeAngelo and J.Stewart simply aren't getting it done, and Cam does not seem to have the accuracy he had last year.

More so than those reasons, I think teams have "figured out" Cam. I mean how many times are they going to try that stupid option? It is obvious it doesn't work, as this is the NFL....not the SEC.

I think it is going to be a tough year for Cam owners. :(

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
And finally, saying all the prayers you can that Jimmy Graham isn’t seriously injured. Or maybe that’s just me.
No Tom, I am in the next pew

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Tom,

No words for the Packers - Colts game???

Try these:

Bliss
Ecstasy
Jubilation

Feel free to borrow any of these! ;)

Wayne

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Coltsfan wrote:Tom,

No words for the Packers - Colts game???

Try these:

Bliss
Puke
Ecstasy
Diarhea
Jubilation

Feel free to borrow any of these! ;)

Wayne
FIXED

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:23 pm

I don't think it's that complicated in Carolina. You have two very talented RBs in Williams and Stewart and a QB who is really struggling. How about turning the offense over to the RBs and lessening the pressure on the QB to carry you? Does that sound like a truly outrageous idea?

If the Panthers are smart, they'll spend the bye week figuring out more ways to utilize Williams and Stewart and reduce the strain on Newton. Who knows, by emphasizing two talented RBs it could enable their talented young QB to find himself again.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:29 pm

I was covering the Packers in 1997 when they were the defending Super Bowl champs and went to Indy to face the winless Colts, who were coached by former Green Bay head coach Lindy Infante at the time. The Colts rose up behind someone named Paul Justin and pulled out a stunning 41-38 shootout upset win as Justin passed for 340 yards and a TD compared to Brett Favre's 363 yards and 3 TDs. Marshall Faulk rushed for 116 yards and a TD and the Colts scored on a fumble return and a 50-yard lateral that day. That was easily the low point of the season until Green Bay eventually lost in the Super Bowl and I remember how upset general manager Ron Wolf was at how poorly his team played against a team it clearly had outclassed.

I wonder how Wolf would've felt yesterday if he was the Packers' GM and he watched the Colts rise up and body slam the Packers in the second half en route to another painful loss at Indianapolis.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

boli34

Post by boli34 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Tom as a raiders fan you can CLEARLY add the raiders defense to the get well category as well! :twisted: :oops:

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:29 am

boli34 wrote:Tom as a raiders fan you can CLEARLY add the raiders defense to the get well category as well! :twisted: :oops:
You're right. I forgot about them because they were on a bye this week. They definitely should be included. Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez and Michael Turner are all looking outstanding this week. They look great every week but you're feeling really good about them this week if you have them. Heck, there may even be a Jacquizz Rodgers sighting this week.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich