I'm confused.....

BillyWaz

I'm confused.....

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:02 pm

how can't you review whether Forsett's knee or elbow was down? :?

You can review a spot on a 1st down, you can challenge whether a player was down on a fumble, etc.

But you can't review this???? :?:

So they just said it was because Schwartz threw the flag??? Definitely needs to get changed in the offseason.....completely ridiculous rule (and it didn't affect me at all in fantasy :D )

Jack_Bauer

Re: I'm confused.....

Post by Jack_Bauer » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:20 pm

This came up last week.. if a coach throws the challenge flag TOO EARLY he loses the ability to benefit from a challenge... I believe in some cases a play can cease to be challenged at all.. Mike Francesa was talking about this loophole on the radio this week.. How a team who gains the ball on a fumble, but thinks they may lose possession on the challenge, can throw the challenge flag "too early" and make the play unchallengeable... all they lose in the challenge and a time out.. small price to pay to keep possession.

ps. When will the NFL finally just have a REPLAY OFFICIAL and stop the idiocy of having the head ref go under the hood ? A replay official can have the right call in 20 seconds and radio it down. Been saying this for about a decade.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:26 pm

BWaz - that one is on Schwartz, NOT the officials

Now who else besides me played Forsett this week? :D :D :D

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Captain Hook wrote:BWaz - that one is on Schwartz, NOT the officials

The point of replay is to GET THE CALL RIGHT. I can't even fathom why the NFL would come up with this rule? If a coach throws a flag, simply go over and say "it is a TD, it will be looked at upstairs". They have told coaches before that a play can't be challenged, but for this, there is a penalty AND they won't even try to get the play right. :evil:

Again, I am not playing against Forsett, but I just can't stand when the NFL DOESN'T GET IT RIGHT with all the technology they have, etc.

HOF

Post by HOF » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:10 pm

One of these coaches will throw a flag when their OWN team scores late in the game just to AVOID a review.

This rule needs to be fixed asap.

Money

Post by Money » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:05 pm

I still can't believe they missed the call in the first place.

This is what life is like as Lions Fan. With the exception of last season the Lions always find a way to lose. :cry:
Joe

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:30 pm

BillyWaz wrote:how can't you review whether Forsett's knee or elbow was down? :?

You can review a spot on a 1st down, you can challenge whether a player was down on a fumble, etc.

But you can't review this???? :?:

So they just said it was because Schwartz threw the flag??? Definitely needs to get changed in the offseason.....completely ridiculous rule (and it didn't affect me at all in fantasy :D )
Certainly the STUPIDEST rule the NFL has ever invented. And just for further insult, throw a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the head coach, as if the pain of a blown call that led to a touchdown wasn't bad enough. STUPID. :twisted:

The NFL needs a Message Board to the commissioner like we have here in the NFFC. I can just imagine the 35-page thread if a rule like this in the NFFC affected the outcome of an important game. ;)

But seriously, as Billy said, JUST GET THE CALL RIGHT!! Instant replay shouldn't be this difficult. Have a fulltime ref in the booth to do nothing but confirm calls efficiently, quickly and correctly. That shouldn't be that tough. That call changed the outcome of the game and may have ended the Lions' season.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Captain Hook wrote:BWaz - that one is on Schwartz, NOT the officials

Perry, having to play Forsett during a non-bye week is nothing to be happy about. :P

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:45 am

Glenneration X wrote:Perry, having to play Forsett during a non-bye week is nothing to be happy about. :P
I was thinking the same thing Glenn. But then, in my Classic, I played Edelman - and it really had nothing to do with my opponent sharing his last name. :P I also picked up and played Harris! :shock: :oops: :D
My conclusion: Perry was LUCKY and I am SKILLED. :lol:

FWIW, I'm this thin at WR because of Percy's and Bowe's injury status and the extreme suckitude of Bowe's QB and entire team. The only other WRs I have are KWright (whom I may have to slide in for Percy), Greg [Do Very] Little and Streater. :oops:

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:31 am

Guys - This is how it broke down -

1- EVERY TD is reviewable. EVERY ONE - The coaches know this.

2 - If you throw a flag in a situation where it is not required it is an "Unsportsmanlike" penalty.

3 - If the play results in a penalty against your team than YOUR team can not benefit from a call reversal. So the idea that a coach will throw a red flag late in a game to prevent a play from being challenged is hog wash. The play can still be challenged, and reversed, it just can not benefit the flag throwing team.

It appears to be a dumb rule on the surface, but everything in place makes logical sense. Schwartz did not have to throw the flag. The play was going to be reviewed. He choked. Admitted as such after the game.

W
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!