Single-League Playoff Structure

kjduke

Single-League Playoff Structure

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:28 am

The playoff system doesn't work very well in my opinion. Why?
- every league seems to have a different set-up
- most leagues are point-dominant, even though we play a H2H schedule all season long
- in virtually every league, teams well within striking distance of having the BEST team in the league over 16 weeks are eliminated after 13 weeks

PROPOSAL A) Victory pt setup with 6 playoff teams - top 2 get a bye thru the playoffs with one of the bottom 4 seeds getting eliminated in each of the first two weeks of the playoffs. Call those the wildcard elimination rounds.

PROPOSAL B) Same setup as above but staggering h2h and pts for the top 6 seeds. In this case I'd also implement the H2H-bump concept to reduce the bad beat/ lucky win aspect of H2H. (H2H-B bumps the lowest winner down to a tie, and the highest loser up to a tie each week, unless the winner also out-scored the loser).

Along with either of the above, keep the 3-week total points playoff but have every team take their regular season scoring avg into the playoffs as a starting point.

kjduke

Re: Single-League Playoff Structure

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:28 am

x
Last edited by kjduke on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:50 am

x
Last edited by kjduke on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:58 am

KJ, I feel your pain on the rough beat, but I'd be more sympathetic if you had missed out on a top 4 Points Qualifier because someone snagged one of the spots with a monster record but a bad point total -- but in your case you were 6th in the league in points, not sure how much of a leg you have stand on here, even if your team was 10-3.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 am

CALI CARTEL wrote:KJ, I feel your pain on the rough beat, but I'd be more sympathetic if you had missed out on a top 4 Points Qualifier because someone snagged one of the spots with a monster record but a bad point total -- but in your case you were 6th in the league in points, not sure how much of a leg you have stand on here, even if your team was 10-3.
Don't want sympathy, want a better playoff set-up. This is not a total pts league, it has a H2H component. And by the way, there is a helluva lot of luck in scoring points too.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:11 am

You know I am a fan of the victory points and would be all for that for these single leagues.

I gotta agree with Cali Cartel here. If you were 4th and got screwed, I could see it, but you were 6th in points. On the other hand, 6th in points and a stellar record should be worth something.

I am in the Super Auction and also finished 6th in points. Unfortunately I was 12 points out of 4TH place (meaning I would of snuck in), and 5th was a mere 3 points ahead of me.

Not sure how far out of 3rd or 4th place points you were, but I get it. My team was up and down all year, and unfortunately when I needed them the most (last week), I had Brees, Roddy White, and Brandon LaFell all come up VERY small. :(

Oh well....onto the consolation round! :D

I would love Victory Points for these leagues.....would almost lock me into the Super Auction again next year. ;)

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:11 am

I guess, I just don't see the need for any 12-team league to have half the teams qualify for the playoffs -- that's like the NBA where there's way too many teams in the playoffs -- what's the point of the first 13-weeks? Might as well just flip a coin and award the league prizes after the draft.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:17 am

CALI CARTEL wrote:I guess, I just don't see the need for any 12-team league to have half the teams qualify for the playoffs -- that's like the NBA where there's way too many teams in the playoffs -- what's the point of the first 13-weeks? Might as well just flip a coin and award the league prizes after the draft.
The point of the first 13 weeks is to:
1) eliminate half the teams
2) reward the top 2 teams with a bye thru the playoffs
3) allow for the next 4 teams, all of which could be deserving, to battle it out over the final 3 weeks

The coin flip comment is just dumb (sorry, not a personal attack I just mean the statement). I could say the same about arbitrarily knocking out a bunch of teams after 13 weeks that could be very close, instead of playing out the full 16 weeks. Why not just flip a coin on to determine which week ends the regular season?

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:21 am

kjduke wrote:
CALI CARTEL wrote:I guess, I just don't see the need for any 12-team league to have half the teams qualify for the playoffs -- that's like the NBA where there's way too many teams in the playoffs -- what's the point of the first 13-weeks? Might as well just flip a coin and award the league prizes after the draft.
The point of the first 13 weeks is to:
1) eliminate half the teams
2) reward the top 2 teams with a bye thru the playoffs
3) allow for the next 4 teams, all of which could be deserving, to battle it out over the final 3 weeks

The coin flip comment is just dumb (sorry, not a personal attack I just mean the statement). I could say the same about arbitrarily knocking out a bunch of teams after 13 weeks that could be very close, instead of playing out the full 16 weeks. Why not just flip a coin on to determine which week ends the regular season?
Because the Regular Season is what determines who deserves to be in the playoffs. You finished 6th in Points and didn't win the record...sorry man, but you DO NOT DESERVE to be in the playoffs, and bitching about the format isn't going to change that, especially suggesting some stupid (sorry, not a personal attack, I just mean the suggestion) "H2H Bump" system, because what I've always wanted in Fantasy Football is more ties.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:27 am

Look, this is about having a format that feels fair to me going forward and I'm sorry you're too dumb to think beyond anything conventional or simple while spouting inconsistencies.