Question about H2H

Jack_Bauer

Question about H2H

Post by Jack_Bauer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:30 pm

I have seen the H2H / Tot points discussion here for a long time. I have made this point or asked this question a time or two and did not see if anyone replied to it. Correct me if I am wrong, but H2H really doesn't mean anything in the NFFC unless you win the league outright. Is that accurate? If you don't win the H2H title outright your only shot at money or post season is via total points. If you tie for first in your league in H2H, again it means nothing because it comes down to total points. I personally like the H2H aspect of fantasy football (even though I have been stung by it many times with bad luck like everyone else).

Am I missing something? You cannot cash for second or third place money in the league via H2H record nor can you qualify for the post season via H2H as far as I know. So unless I am missing something, H2H record mean nothing unless you win the league outright. So if you are a team that got off to a bad start, had some early injuries, but fielded a competitive team and stayed above water in record, you are dead unless you somehow finish first alone correct?

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Question about H2H

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:48 pm

Jack_Bauer wrote:I have seen the H2H / Tot points discussion here for a long time. I have made this point or asked this question a time or two and did not see if anyone replied to it. Correct me if I am wrong, but H2H really doesn't mean anything in the NFFC unless you win the league outright. Is that accurate? If you don't win the H2H title outright your only shot at money or post season is via total points. If you tie for first in your league in H2H, again it means nothing because it comes down to total points. I personally like the H2H aspect of fantasy football (even though I have been stung by it many times with bad luck like everyone else).

Am I missing something? You cannot cash for second or third place money in the league via H2H record nor can you qualify for the post season via H2H as far as I know. So unless I am missing something, H2H record mean nothing unless you win the league outright. So if you are a team that got off to a bad start, had some early injuries, but fielded a competitive team and stayed above water in record, you are dead unless you somehow finish first alone correct?
Correct, H2H in our Main Events and Online Championship determines just one of the Championship Round spots. You can't finish 2nd or 3rd with best H2H record.

To say that H2H means nothing just isn't accurate. If you have best H2H record and most total points you win the title outright and avoid a 3-week league playoff. In the Classic, that's worth $4,000; in the Primetime it's worth $3,000. Yes, in your scenario above if you get off to a bad start in H2H record and Total Points, then you better make the Top 3 in Total Points to earn a Championship Round spot. It's not easy to make up points, but in the same vein it's not easy to make up Wins, either. So the morale of the story is: Don't get off to a bad start, either with points or losses.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Jack_Bauer

Re: Question about H2H

Post by Jack_Bauer » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Greg,

I may not have worded it perfectly. Obviously I do not mean H2H has "zero" value. What I mean to say is H2H has very little value as compared to total points. The NFFC is still very much a total points contest. Because H2H record only matters if you either win the league outright or tie and also have the most total points. Having a 'very good' H2H record isn't meaningful if it is not first and first alone. Say you are decent in points (ie, had a bad start, some injuries) say 4th or 5th out of 14 teams, but managed the team well, stayed competitive, won some close games and finished tied for first in record. You win nothing.

I see complaining about how H2H means too much. Yet I fail to see where it means much at all.