Revised NFFC Prize Structure Proposal

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:20 am

With only seven more signup days remaining for the NFFC, it's obvious to us, our participants and all those people checking out our site each day that reaching 602 paid entries is almost impossible. I have stated many times that we could still keep the prize structure intact with 400+ teams and that could happen, but it's only fair to let everyone know what will happen if that doesn't happen. And doing that today rather than next Monday is fair to everyone.

Right now we have over 170 paid NFFC entries and over 50 for the Auction Leagues and Draft Masters Leagues. The event is going forward in all three cities and I'm confident there are plenty of people who want to compete in the NFFC once they know what the future holds. Well, let's try to clear that up now.

Realistically, we are looking at a smaller event but with better odds of winning the overall grand prize. The goal is to create a prize format exactly like the NFBC, based on 300 teams and a $100,000 grand prize. We would not change the league prizes at all, as I feel it's important for the $5,000 league prize to stay intact since that's what realistically each person has the most control over. The $1,500 second place prize would stay the same and the $500 third place prize would stay the same. I also propose to keep the $2,500 consolation championship prize intact and the second place consolation prize at $1,500, but change the third and fourth place consolation prizes from $1,000 to free entries in the NFFC in 2005. No big deal there.

The overall champion would receive $100,000 and second place $10,000-$15,000, down from $20,000. The fifth through eighth place teams are scheduled now to receive $2,500, $1,500, $1,250 and $1,250, respectively, and those might move to free entries in the NFFC in 2005. So really the biggest change is the grand prize and not much more.

The key to making this work is having our current signups remain with us, so your feedback is important. I realize that we have promoted the $200,000 grand prize in every ad, every promotion, every talk show and with every signup on these boards, but we don't have enough signups right now to support that. Should this last week surprise all of us with a flurry of signups, we'll do everything we can to keep it at that level.

We have a great, great, great group of owners right now, 47 of them who have been with us in baseball and football. I'm confident we will get to 210 or 224 teams, which would be 15 or 16 leagues. Since two teams in each league advance to the playoffs, you can do the math and realize that your odds of winning $100,000 are greatly enhanced than what our proposed 602-team format was (1:86 chance of winning $200,000 with 43 leagues).

I wish the pot odds were as high as I had originally planned, but that isn't the case and I have to be honest enough about it early enough for all of you to make the right decisions. For those on the outside looking in, you can now see what are event is planning for in a worst case scenario. I promise that anyone who signs up online or via phone with me won't get their credit card charged until next Monday after they've approved the prize structure we have finalized and they know EXACTLY what is going on in the NFFC. But you can secure a spot through me or online anytime this week as we aim to fill full 14-team leagues in each city on a first-come, first-serve basis.

One obvious note: The Auction Leagues and Draft Masters Leagues are not affected by this at all. Just figured I'd state the obvious.

Okay, here's the challenge: Prove me wrong with lots of signups this week and we'll keep that grand prize as high as possible. And current NFFC members, I ask for your loyalty as the payout and odds are even more in your favor now, just like they were in baseball. We'll build this event/contest together and we'll look back at Year One in future years and realize what trust it took to build the industry's premiere multi-city high-stakes event.

E-mail me directly at [email protected], call me at 715-445-4612, ext. 284 or feel free to ask questions here. I'll stay as long as I can tonight to answer questions from our members or those still on the fence. Tom and I will then call every single NFFC member privately tomorrow to get your thoughts as eventually everyone will need to agree to this in writing before Draft Day. Thanks for your understanding.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:49 am

Greg - I think what you're stating here is obvious to all of us. We knew (well, we had our own little hopes) that Krause coldn't step in and drop an extra $50,000 in prize money just for fun!

Numbers being as they are, the payout ratio gets HIGHER than initially advertised. I have no problem with that.

The fact is, I'm here because you, Tom and the gang run an absolutely first class contest. You care for the people, you answer our questions. You tell the truth. This will be my 4th trip to Vegas to play a big money contest in the last 2 yrs. I've sampled the other contests - I've played big money leagues online. I leave the other contests having had fun, enjoying it - but ultimately that sour taste in my mouth is the transparent feeling that I'm nothing to them but an extra % of the profits. (And it has nothing to do with finishes, I've covered a good chunk of my entry fees with winnings...)

For yourself, I know you run a first class event. I trust you explicitly and I can't imagine going to another contest. Okay, so the contestant pool is dropping from 600+ to 200+ ? I think I'll be happy to take a check for $100,000 and if I'm in a big yank to make that $200k I'll go pick black or red on a roulette table for $100k ;)

The other factor that I think is often ignored... is that the weekly prizes from Best Buy and Upper Deck, Steiner Sports in baseball, sign up prizes, draft parties, and the quality service is worth a TON to me. Keeping league prizes the same is HUGE.

I'm on board, Greg. I'm assuming that my entry in the contest this year guarantees my spot for next year's contest, right? When you hit 600 next year I want to be part of that as well.

Keep focusing on the sign-ups, Greg. I don't think any serious gamer will back out because the prize is $100k. Odds are still solid and the fun of the event hasn't changed.

More beer for those of us who make it

Dave/Dyv

[ August 22, 2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Dyv ]
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

johnbriganti

Post by johnbriganti » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:22 am

Greg,

I emailed you earlier echoing Dave's sentiments.
I like his idea that the previous year's entrants automatically have spots reserved for them.
No doubt there will be more people wanting in after they see ME cashing that grand prize check and Dave scratching his head trying to figure out what he did wrong and where this rookie came from
Keep up the good work and for those who decide not to join us . . . well, let'em eat cake!

John
Johnny Football

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:41 am

Thanks for those positive comments, guys. One of the things I feel most strongly about is that for the people who are undecided at this time, if they do sign up for the NFFC they are going to discover that it will be a first-class event all the way around. The participants in our baseball event (the NFBC) are proof of that. Based on the conversations Greg and I have had with a large number of them, I'd say our retention rate for next year's NFBC is going to be a minimum of 95 percent. And a key reason for that is because of the way the event has been run. We take great pride in our customer service approach and the same approach will be used with the NFFC. If the grand prize is revised, that will not mean our approach will be reduced in any way. In fact, we'll be working even harder now to prove to you that the faith you have placed in us by joining our first-time event was well-founded. That's a guarantee.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:59 am

Originally posted by John:
Greg,

No doubt there will be more people wanting in after they see ME cashing that grand prize check Are they offering TWO $100,000 grand prizes? I think Snake already is claiming one as he claims to be the smartest fantasy football mind on the planet! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm on board also and expected this to happen. No biggie since the league prizes won't change and I won't be one to "snuff" at $100,00 should I be lucky enough to win it! :D

Keep up the great work Greg & Tom and thanks for being up front with everyone. Honesty goes A LONG way!

[ August 22, 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:17 pm

With you guys 100%. Not only does this increase everyone's odds and expected payouts, but if basically only impacts a handful of people.

The fact that you are making phone calls and CLEARLY offering a refund to anyone who wants it shows that you guys are completely on the up and up.

As a form of compensation to all the owners who are sticking with you, I think you should give all the owners free issues of your fantasy football preview magazine and maybe a chance to mingle with a former NFLer at the draft receptions. Perhaps throwing in some expensive weekly collectible prizes would help soften the blow. This may be asking too much, but you should also offer every owner a goodie bag for the draft and maybe even a footballguys.com stat book.

Dave "Ico Jones" Lichtman
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

jsferenc

Post by jsferenc » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:03 pm

I have been looking for a first class, national fantasy football competition for some time now. Frankly, I'm tired of dominating my local leagues each year and feel the need to beat up on more of a "national scale" group.

I have been researching some other national leagues that I found advertised in my FF magazine and there seems to be no comparison between NFFC and the other leagues. In fact, I've checked the message boards on other sites and it doesn't look like there were any members. The fact that this has grown to 170+ so far in the first year speaks to the quality of the league and it's organizers. I'm certainly still in!

I like the idea of guaranteed spots in the 2005 NFFC for 2004 contestants. Once my mug is in the ads holding a check for $100k the league will have no problem filling up next year when I return for the other half of my $200k and than some!

Josh Ferenc

P.S. Remember, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!
Josh Ferenc

2005 National Fantasy Football Champion. Time for the sequel!

If it's worth doing it's worth overdoing!

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:07 pm

Ditto! On staying! We had a dispute in baseball
about a ruling. Greg called to explain the ruling. Try and find that kind of service from the rest of the leagues out there. Heck your Uncle Ned wouldn't even call you in your local league. Save these guys a dime and send in your
e-mails agreeing now!

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:19 pm

Dave... very funny stuff.... I'll add to it... The winner of the 100K won't have to pay any taxes because he can write off the other 100K they aren't going to give away, claiming that 100K as a loss. You also forgot the free trip to Iola!
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:22 pm

John, if we offered a free trip to Iola, I'm thinking the NFFC champion would be willing to forgo the grand prize. A trip to beautiful and scenic Iola or a mere $100,000? C'mon, that's a no-brainer. :D
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich