Revised NFFC Prize Structure Proposal

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:37 am

Yeah, Mike I almost called you this morning about him. I assumed you'd call me when he was a definite. Thanks.

We are starting our sixth league in Las Vegas (just over 70), closing up our fifth league in New York (okay, 64), and starting our fourth league in Chicago. I still think New York will finish with the most signups as there's a lot of East Coast interest and obviously travel is the easiest out there. If we can fill all of those, we're at 210 and I'm sure we can do that and still add another one somewhere.

But again, we need all of our current signups to stick with us and so far, so good. 67 contacted and 67 still in, with one more on the fence. We'll have a better head count tonight.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

jsferenc

Post by jsferenc » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:55 am

I don't know if this is something you guys have already looked in to but here's a suggestion: I have Sirius satellite radio and there's a fantasy football show on friday evening where there's nothing but FFL discussion. Maybe this is a good place to drum up some last minute interest.

Josh
Josh Ferenc

2005 National Fantasy Football Champion. Time for the sequel!

If it's worth doing it's worth overdoing!

Sack

Post by Sack » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:11 am

Greg and Tom have my full support. Being part of the NFBC in March right from the start and watching that turn into the EVENT it did left me no doubt that I would take part in the NFFC. Myself along with my two recruits are staying. Allright GREG...now GET us our draft postions!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:19 am

Josh, great advice. I was on Friday night with John Hansen and Adam Caplan from 8:45-8:55 CST. It was a great interview for the NFFC as us three guys have known each other a long time. In fact, Adam helped me get a regular ESPN Radio gig during the baseball season from 2001-2003 as he was their fantasy football guy. So it went well.

But if anyone heard that interview, I apologize for my two-year-old interrupting during my pitch for the NFFC. I was in charge of the three little ones that night and gave them instructions to keep quiet while daddy was on the air. My two-year-old did well for 9 minutes but had to blurt out "Daddy, Daddy, I love you" as loud as he could during that part of the interview. I probably shouldn't have put my hand over his mouth, but it was all I could do while making my NFFC pitch for 1 minute.

I think John and Adam didn't know what was going on, but they carried on like pros.

I did ESPN Radio in Las Vegas with Al Bernstein, Phoenix, Minneapolis and Cincinnati in the last week and Tom has done Milwaukee and a few other shows. We are hitting the airwaves the best we can, but great suggestion on that one Josh.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:29 am

Greg...is it feasible to ask to announce draft position PRIOR to filling the 210/224 teams? This would be a welcome surpirse to all of us instead of waiting until just days before the draft. I know there are logistics issues and such, but maybe you can hold the league drawing for the paid entries and include "dummy" teams for the future signups? You can then announce us our draft positions WITHOUT revealing the league placements until we are full. There are other options, of course.

I just had to ask!
For Players. By Players.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:40 am

We're down to 8 days and counting anyway, Nag. Believe me when I tell you you are not the first to beg.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:43 am

That post, Nag, looks very familiar to a thread that was started on the WCOFF boards! ;) I believe it raised Lenny's blood pressure by a few points, too!

The one concern about doing that would be 14 guys getting in at the last minute and controlling a league and rolling to the grand prize. I know that sounds far fetched, but it's possible. Thus we must put all late signups with the new signups when we've closed out signups in each city and pick them randomly. It avoids any chance of collusion and as you know that is very important for the integrity of any high stakes contest.

As long as we've waited this long, we might as well for the leagues and draft positions for another week. I agree, nothing would get excitement going on these boards that knowing your draft position, but we've gotta do this straight. I'm sure you understand, although you just had to nag, didn't you?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:55 am

I'm having fun calling every NFFC member tonight as the response for the event and everything else has been VERY positive. But for those guys whose wives answer the phone, I almost feel guilty telling them who I am and that I'm with the National Fantasy Football Championship. What happens if they haven't explained this expense to their wives yet? ;)

Should I say I'm Greg Ambrosius with Bank of America rather than Greg Ambrosius of the NFFC? :rolleyes: For once I feel like lying!

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:21 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I'm having fun calling every NFFC member tonight as the response for the event and everything else has been VERY positive. But for those guys whose wives answer the phone, I almost feel guilty telling them who I am and that I'm with the National Fantasy Football Championship. What happens if they haven't explained this expense to their wives yet? ;)

Should I say I'm Greg Ambrosius with Bank of America rather than Greg Ambrosius of the NFFC? :rolleyes: For once I feel like lying! Greg, if someones wife pickups up the phone....try this:

"Hi, Mrs. "Insert Last Name Here", this is Greg from the jewelry store looking for your husband to confirm his order for a 3 karat ladies diamond tennis bracelet. May I speak to him please?"

The wives will be handing off the phone to their husbands like seasoned QB's.
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:39 pm

Man, that's a good one. I'll try that next when you're not home!!!