Are you a true Fan?

Shrink Attack

Are you a true Fan?

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:02 am

I've always considered myself a fan of both football and baseball. But yesterday really crystallized something for me.

Officially I'm a fan of the Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons, and the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. The seasons of all three of those teams are either officially or unofficially over, so I had no real skin in the nationally televised games played yesterday.

I sat down on my couch excited to watch a full day of sports consisting of the MLB playoffs and college football. What became apparent to me over the course of the day was that watching both of those 1-0 baseball games was pure torture. Having no rooting interest for any of the teams, I found it to be incredibly slow, boring, and monotonous. I kept looking for other things to do in between innings, in between batters, and even in between pitches. I then switched over to the college football games and it was pure excitement, each play was entertaining, and I felt glued to the games all the way to the final whistle.

This is not about disrespecting baseball or the people who, with no specific rooting interest, can sit and watch an entire baseball game from the beginning to the end. These are undoubtedly TRUE baseball fans who LOVED those games yesterday, watching the pitchers throw with such dominating precision, the 1 on 1 strategy of pitcher vs. batter, the managerial cat and mouse games, the tension of a 1-run contest whose outcome remained in doubt until the final out. I respect them because they are true baseball fans. I guess I'm just a team-based baseball fan. I speak only for myself, but the sport of baseball just can't hold my interest for a full 9 innings. I can tune in from maybe the 7th or 8th inning on and stay entertained until the end, but I just can't tolerate the middle innings.

I guess maybe that might be a good measure of whether you're a true FAN of any sport. The word "fan" is short for "fanatic". If you can watch an entire game from beginning to end, where you really don't care who wins, but are wholly entertained by the game itself, then that's at least one way to measure whether you're a true fan of that sport.

That's what Football is for me.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Are you a true Fan?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:36 am

Paul, you are spot on and Major League Baseball should be concerned with the lack of scoring. It's a trend that has happened recently and very noticeably the last 5 years. Baseball has almost turned into soccer nowadays!!! :o

http://nfbcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14628

I love baseball, but I'm with you, I'm turning to football when given the choice.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Money

Post by Money » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:53 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Paul, you are spot on and Major League Baseball should be concerned with the lack of scoring. It's a trend that has happened recently and very noticeably the last 5 years. Baseball has almost turned into soccer nowadays!!! :o

I love baseball, but I'm with you, I'm turning to football when given the choice.
The month of October is all about baseball for me. 1-0 or 12-11 I can't get enough of it.

I mentioned this on the baseball boards earlier this season, the only way this trend will change is by lowering the pitching mound. At some point if this continues they will have to entertain that change.
Joe

TR

Post by TR » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:48 am

I'm loving the baseball playoffs..last nite's game was awesome :mrgreen:

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:10 pm

I live in Saint Louis so this is probably obvious but that Cardinal game was one of the most exciting I've ever watched (both have been). In the 3rd inning I was texting my friends saying "Wow 1 run might be enough today." I don't know what could be more exciting than that, one mistake and you lose! Let me state I would take a pitching dual 1000000000000 out of 1000000000000 and know hardly anyone else would. I can totally understand how if you aren't rooting for one of those teams that you found them boring though.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Money wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:Paul, you are spot on and Major League Baseball should be concerned with the lack of scoring. It's a trend that has happened recently and very noticeably the last 5 years. Baseball has almost turned into soccer nowadays!!! :o

The month of October is all about baseball for me. 1-0 or 12-11 I can't get enough of it.
This means you're a true baseball fan.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:29 pm

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:I live in Saint Louis so this is probably obvious but that Cardinal game was one of the most exciting I've ever watched (both have been). In the 3rd inning I was texting my friends saying "Wow 1 run might be enough today." I don't know what could be more exciting than that, one mistake and you lose! Let me state I would take a pitching dual 1000000000000 out of 1000000000000 and know hardly anyone else would. I can totally understand how if you aren't rooting for one of those teams that you found them boring though.
Yes...if the Braves were playing in that situation, I'd be glued to the TV set, literally biting my nails the whole time. But since I had no rooting interest, my nails are very much intact and I'm still pumped from watching the close college football games from yesterday.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Yes, I am a true Fan 8-)