Cutline Question

packman527

Cutline Question

Post by packman527 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 am

Greg,
Just wanted to clarify something about the Cutline. From the rules:
The top 2 teams from each league based on the criteria below qualify for the Championship bracket in Weeks 10-12 of the Cutline Championship:
1st - Most points scored
2nd - best head-to-head record (total points being the tie-breaker)
My question is (and maybe its a dumb one): If the same team has best record and most points, he is obviously the #1 seed, but is the #2 seed still determined by H2H record, even though that team won't actually have the best H2H record, or does the #2 seed then go to the team 2nd in points? Say a team goes 9-0 and also has most points, he is then clearly the #1 seed. But an 8-1 team is 3rd or worse in points, and a 7-2 (or worse) team is 2nd in points. Does the very important #2 seed go to the team with the 2nd best H2H record, or the team that is 2nd in points?

kjduke

Re: Cutline Question

Post by kjduke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:28 pm

packman527 wrote:Greg,
The top 2 teams from each league based on the criteria below qualify for the Championship bracket in Weeks 10-12 of the Cutline Championship:
1st - Most points scored
My question is (and maybe its a dumb one): If the same team has best record and most points, he is obviously the #1 seed, but is the #2 seed still determined by H2H record, even though that team won't actually have the best H2H record, or does the #2 seed then go to the team 2nd in points? Say a team goes 9-0 and also has most points, he is then clearly the #1 seed. But an 8-1 team is 3rd or worse in points, and a 7-2 (or worse) team is 2nd in points. Does the very important #2 seed go to the team with the 2nd best H2H record, or the team that is 2nd in points?
Best record would mean among the remaining 9 teams.

packman527

Post by packman527 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:24 pm

kjduke wrote:
1st - Most points scored
That's kinda what I was gleaning from the rules, but just wanted clarity. I can see people going crazy when an 8-1 or 7-2 team finishes with the 2nd best record but is only 6th in points or something making the championship bracket when the 2nd highest scoring team gets left out.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:39 pm

packman527 wrote:
kjduke wrote:
1st - Most points scored
That's kinda what I was gleaning from the rules, but just wanted clarity. I can see people going crazy when an 8-1 or 7-2 team finishes with the 2nd best record but is only 6th in points or something making the championship bracket when the 2nd highest scoring team gets left out.
With just 10 teams, if you don't have the most points or best record there are no guarantees, but the Wildcard round does give you a second chance to climb back into the main bracket for $50k if your team is strong enough.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:55 pm

packman527 wrote:
kjduke wrote:
1st - Most points scored
I agree. I think it should be set up like this. Highest points get the money just like now. But to determine playoff participants, I think record should be done first(points breaking the tie) and then remaining team with most points. That would certainly make the most sense to get the most deserving teams to the playoffs. NFFC does a pretty damn good job of this in about every other contest. Not sure why they went a different way here. Think it should be changed next year to be consistent with the other contests.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:03 pm

That's kinda what I was gleaning from the rules, but just wanted clarity. I can see people going crazy when an 8-1 or 7-2 team finishes with the 2nd best record but is only 6th in points or something making the championship bracket when the 2nd highest scoring team gets left out.[/quote]

I agree. I think it should be set up like this. Highest points get the money just like now. But to determine playoff participants, I think record should be done first(points breaking the tie) and then remaining team with most points. That would certainly make the most sense to get the most deserving teams to the playoffs. NFFC does a pretty damn good job of this in about every other contest. Not sure why they went a different way here. Think it should be changed next year to be consistent with the other contests.[/quote]

+1
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote: I think it should be set up like this. Highest points get the money just like now. But to determine playoff participants, I think record should be done first(points breaking the tie) and then remaining team with most points. That would certainly make the most sense to get the most deserving teams to the playoffs. NFFC does a pretty damn good job of this in about every other contest. Not sure why they went a different way here. Think it should be changed next year to be consistent with the other contests.
Wouldn't it be a little confusing to pay the league champ/most points all the league prize money, but then call them the #2 seed while the #1 seed gets no league money?
Last edited by kjduke on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:37 am

1st - Most points scored
This is a good question and one that I wanted to make sure I answered correctly before posting. The intent of the rules was always to reward best head-to-head record and most total points with a spot in the all-important Championship Round. The rules were written with that in mind and yet I wrote it in such a way that it looked like there was a first seed and a second seed. There is no first seed and second seed from the leagues and that's where I have the confusion. Again, the goal is to allow the two best teams from each league into the Championship Round without any luck getting into the equation, so the rules will now read:

1st - Best head-to-head record (total points being the tie-breaker)
2nd – Most points scored (if h2h champion had most points then it’s next most points)

And we've added text to clarify who wins the league prize:

3. Prizes:

League Prizes:
1st Place - $250 (team with most points through Week 9)

This isn't changing the rules, but we obviously didn't have the qualifiers written succinctly enough. I was intent on making sure everyone knew who won the league prize without clarifying that best head-to-head record MUST be determined first for the first Championship Round qualifier to make sure that the next most total points gets into the Championship Round. Doing it the other way could easily allow a team with the 9th most points into the Championship Round and that was never the intent. The wording being adjusted in the rules should clarify how we had set up the contest in the first place. Sorry for any confusion here, but the best head-to-head record and next most total points are the two teams going into the Championship Round as it should be and as the rules intended.

Three other teams still have a shot at the Wild Card with next best head-to-head record being determined first thing just like we do for the Championship Round teams. Then it's next two best total points. So finish in the Top 5 of your league and you will still be playing in Weeks 10 to 12. Good luck everyone.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Max Factor

Post by Max Factor » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:12 pm

three other teams still have a shot at the Wild Card with next best head-to-head record being determined first thing just like we do for the Championship Round teams. "Then it's next two best records". So finish in the Top 5 of your league and you will still be playing in Weeks 10 to 12. Good luck everyone.[/quote]

Do you mean the next two total points?
Jeff Potok

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Corrected above. Yes, total points.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius