what do you read?

afv

what do you read?

Post by afv » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:28 am

With fantasy sites seemingly dedicated to shallow leagues or casual players anyone care to share what sites they read in-season?

Really, Shane Vereen leads this week's Pickups of the Week, thanks fftoolbox.

Coach JP

Re: what do you read?

Post by Coach JP » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:38 pm

For me personally, and I think a reason why a lot of us are here, I make my own judgements based on news I read from major and minor sites. If I hear someone is dinged up, I'll research their depth chart and look at their other options, see who could potentially step up, etc.

I'm never going to find information on why I should have picked up someone like Tim Wright a couple of weeks ago, but you have to be aggressive and take stabs at players before any popular news comes out. You'll also make mistakes, as I spent $400+ on Joseph Randle in a few leagues here.

All the guys who play here are so good that you basically have to do your own thing and be so aggressive that you'll either make great moves or make dumb ones. Don't be afraid to start guys that no major sites are promoting, it's not always a bad thing. It doesn't always pay off but you can't really afford to be reactionary here. Have to be proactive.

ChiTwn

Post by ChiTwn » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Coach JP wrote:
All the guys who play here are so good that you basically have to do your own thing and be so aggressive that you'll either make great moves or make dumb ones. Don't be afraid to start guys that no major sites are promoting, it's not always a bad thing. It doesn't always pay off but you can't really afford to be reactionary here. Have to be proactive.
Yup, what he said. You need some luck to go along with the aggressive pickups. Ironically, it is usually the <$10 pickups that end up booming.

Drafting in Vegas this year was definitely interesting. As folks have their own preferences, and no one really goes with the popular draft rankings. Never have I reached so many rounds early to get my sleepers.

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:47 am

Ive tried Fantasy Index, ScoutPro, and a few others. None of them really help in season. They are always a week behind on free agents. The fantasy index is better but way too expensive for the whole year coverage. I normally trust fantasy index but this year they missed big time on guys like Brady, Jordy, Vernon, and Amendola. I find its best to watch as much football as possible, keep track of every injury, and don't trust everything a team says about an injury ie. Roddy White. You would be surprised that sometimes you yourself can find better info and advice. I'm starting to really believe there is no such thing as a fantasy football expert. Too much luck and variables involved. USE YOUR GUT!!!!

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:02 pm

I follow about a 100 people on twitter. Guys from all the major sites and a slew of others. Probably should not say this but the best place to find out about FA's is on Thursday looking at the Wednesday pick ups. A lot of really good players who put a lot more time in than I do are much farther ahead of the curve in FA pick ups than any website.