No waivers rule

Henry Muto

No waivers rule

Post by Henry Muto » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Now waivers rule is killing my once great team into a team that can't even field a line up for the 3 week championship game let alone a team that I once thought had as much talent as any team in the field finished 42nd overall this year and now I would be lucky to field 8 players this week.

I really thought this team had a chance to be special and maybe even win it all has seen Denver tank week 15 and all my WR 3's go down and all my TE's go down in the last few weeks and it really is amazing that without waivers I may not even win my 3 week league title.

Newton
Moreno
Lacy
Stacy
Mathews
Calvin
Dem Thomas
Welker
Shorts
Harvin
Cameron
Jordan Reed
Carlson
SF
Gostkowski

No waivers means play with 8 guys this week and 9 guys last week.
2023 NFFC Cutline Champion and 4th place ($90,000) (1720 teams)
2014 RTS Fantasy Championship National Champion ($200,000) (2460 teams)
2012 NFFC Online National Champion and 4th place ($110,000 winner) (1872 teams)
2014 DFWC National Champion (288 teams)

chriseibl

Re: No waivers rule

Post by chriseibl » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:10 pm

I like the no waivers rule. Forces you to think strategically about what positions you want to insure. And if you have 5+ people go down with injury in a couple weeks, odds are it's not going to be your year regardless of which free agents you pick up.

The less work the better for me, and again, I like the implementation of strategy at the front.

Also, as someone who really enjoyed being able to set different lineups for league championship/overall championships and was hurt by the inability to do so this year in the primetime, I hated the rule you helped implement last year! Just kidding... but seriously... :)

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:37 pm

I agree with Chris....I like the strategy of "looking ahead" to the final weeks and making the final pickups before Week 13. It lightens up the "work" considerably.

That being said, you just had bad luck, Henry. Would what is on the wire right now help you fill in your gaps??? Doubtful.

Your year was last year......leave some $$$ for the rest of us. :D

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:18 pm

I've had this same issue on multiple teams, at different positions, this year.

QB- RG3, Mccown down, on to my 3rd QB on a team or two, no QB left on a few
WR- Harvin, Welker, Terrance Williams down, auto zero coming
TE- Gronk, Cameron... no 3rd TE on a team, on to my third on another one or two

It stings, and it stings BAD but I chalk it up to bad luck :evil: If I was in the top 10 on one of those teams I would be very sad

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Okay with how it is. I think it is probably best this way. I can see contained leagues going on further, but main events vary drastically on how many in a given league would do waivers. It would make it more random possibly allowing more adds. Probably a vote for them having it right currently from me. You are obviously a great player Henry. You have just as good a chance to benefit on any given team as you are to get hindered like this team of yours.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:23 am

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:It stings, and it stings BAD but I chalk it up to bad luck :evil: If I was in the top 10 on one of those teams I would be very sad
We were 4th overall in the Primetime after week 14, but in that game we lost:
Welker, Gronk AND GGraham (0 at TE week 15 & probably 16) and MJD. Plus we didn't get to use Bush week 14. Plus McCown lost his job before week 15. Then in week 15, we lost TWilliams.
BillyWaz wrote:Would what is on the wire right now help you fill in your gaps???
In our case, yes! We could pickup a TE like GGraham's NFL backup, Griffin, or Chandler or Ertz. At WR, we could get Welker's NFL backup, Caldwell, or RWoods, ASanders, Holmes, etc..
chriseibl wrote:I like the no waivers rule. Forces you to think strategically about what positions you want to insure.
We did: before the championship round, we made sure to have a QB2 (and QB3, seeing there was a good chance McCown wasn't going to keep playing), a TE2 and K2.
chriseibl wrote:And if you have 5+ people go down with injury in a couple weeks, odds are it's not going to be your year regardless of which free agents you pick up.
We scored 141 last week (200+ week 14) and are still in 24th place, just 21 points off 10th. How much closer would we be without a 0 from TE last week? Or without another TE 0 this week, and likely a WR3 0?

I don't see the issue with have FAAB during the championship round??? :? Every team would have the same opportunity to acquire players or to attempt to block opponents from doing so. What am I missing? Why do we not want to allow good teams, with diligent roster management, to recover from injuries? Don't most leagues allow FAAB during playoffs for this reason?
Last edited by Sandman62 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:26 am

It is what it is. I have Harvin hanging around on several teams. My bad. He's taking valuable roster room. I suppose week 13 would have been a good time to waive him. Injuries are a part of the game. This week Philly and San Fran might not play their starters much. Also a part of the game.

Pete

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:47 am

Sandman62 wrote: I don't see the issue with have FAAB during the championship round??? :? Every team would have the same opportunity to acquire players or to attempt to block opponents from doing so. What am I missing? Why do we not want to allow good teams, with diligent roster management, to recover from injuries? Don't most leagues allow FAAB during playoffs for this reason?
It doesn't make any sense to do FAAB in the playoffs, IMHO. I am not facing the 9 guys in your league who didn't make the championship round, so why should their actions affect how much I can earn? One league could let Todman go unclaimed to an owner who has $1, while other leagues could have people bidding $50. In regular season this is perfectly fine since you are facing those owners for $6000, but it's not acceptable in playoffs. One guy could decide he only needs 1 QB for the final two weeks of consolation playoffs, so he lets McCown/Cutler/Wilson/Kaepernick/etc. go and suddenly a primetime champion team can pick him up and boost their roster?

Way too many variables involving people who have something to play for and who don't.

The only fair solution to people who are upset with injuries is to increase roster sizes week 13 and let people add another 3-4 players. I had to roll the dice in my league and use 1 QB, 1 Kicker, and I cut some good WR's (Hopkins, Marlon Brown) just to make sure I had enough backups at RB. If I lost my QB, that was the risk I was willing to take.

Things happen, people get unlucky. Have to make do.

greenwichsttavern

Post by greenwichsttavern » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:10 am

JP hit it on the head, no way there should be free agency pk ups once the playoffs start. You go into 3 week playoff with what you have and what got you there. If you catch some injurys its bad luck which is part of the game and its just not your year.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:22 am

Coach JP wrote:
Sandman62 wrote: I don't see the issue with have FAAB during the championship round??? :? Every team would have the same opportunity to acquire players or to attempt to block opponents from doing so. What am I missing? Why do we not want to allow good teams, with diligent roster management, to recover from injuries? Don't most leagues allow FAAB during playoffs for this reason?
It doesn't make any sense to do FAAB in the playoffs, IMHO. I am not facing the 9 guys in your league who didn't make the championship round, so why should their actions affect how much I can earn?
This is exactly why I think it should stay before Week 13 as well.