Should The NFL Abolish Extra Points?

Greg Ambrosius

Should The NFL Abolish Extra Points?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:29 am

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said last night on the NFL Network that the league may abolish extra points in the near future. Not only that, but the league is considering a proposal that would give each touchdown 7 points and a team could then opt to run or pass for an 8th point, but if they fail they go back down to 6 points. Crazy.

The extra point is almost automatic, but it sure plays a role in fantasy football. This latest proposal sounds like something from the XFL!! Anyway, here's the story and the interview:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... tra-points

What's your thoughts on this one? WOW!!!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

CoMoHusker

Re: Should The NFL Abolish Extra Points?

Post by CoMoHusker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:40 pm

I hate it. Some things in the game need to just be left the way that they are. The XPT is part of the game. If you don't like it or think you deserve two points, then you have the option to try for that. He needs to just look at the ratings and the boat loads of money the current product generates to know that those type of changes aren't necessary. IMO, don't fix something that's not broken.
Go Big Red!

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:45 pm

I like the idea, it's a virtually worthless play. Speeds the game up and takes away a random rare-occurrence miss.

Does anyone really want to see a game end on a flubbed XP after what should be an exciting game-tying TD ?

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Tony Romo votes YES. :o

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:57 pm

The interesting side effect will be changing fantasy TDs from 6 to 7 points ... and to a lesser extent, the high-TD scoring team kickers will lose relative value.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:03 pm

Pointless and stupid. How about addressing the issues that legitimately need to be fixed, such as incompetent officiating? Get on that one Roger.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:06 pm

kjduke wrote:I like the idea, it's a virtually worthless play. Speeds the game up and takes away a random rare-occurrence miss.
It may speed up the elapsed minutes of game we get to see, but I doubt it reduces any time off the total event duration. IOW, they'll just go to longer and more commercials after TDs! :roll:

That said, I don't mind seeing it go.

"The most boring play in all of sports is the NFL extra-point kick, which was successfully converted 1,256 of 1,261 times this year. It's just not worth the effort of players or spectators to produce or observe an event that succeeds 99.6% of the time."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1584043
Last edited by Sandman62 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Sandman62 wrote:
kjduke wrote:I like the idea, it's a virtually worthless play. Speeds the game up and takes away a random rare-occurrence miss.
It may speed up the elapsed minutes of game we get to see, but I doubt it reduces any time off the total event duration. IOW, they'll just go to longer and more commercials after TDs! :roll:
Fewer commercials = lower ad revenue. Absolutely no way money hungry Goodell allows something like that to occur on his watch.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:15 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:Pointless and stupid.
You mean extra points, or abolishing them? On the former, I agree. :P

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:16 pm

kjduke wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:Pointless and stupid.
You mean extra points, or abolishing them? On the former, I agree. :P
Abolishing them. :)

I'd rather Goodell addressed actual problems with the game before turning it into a gimmick league.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich