Week 5 Thoughts and Observations

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:08 am

Here are some random thoughts and observations about Sunday's games as I sit here wondering why Kevin Kolb just won't throw the ball to Larry Fitzgerald:

I think the Packers' most impressive victory of the season came against the Saints because I believe New Orleans was the best team Green Bay has faced so far. But the Packers showed a lot of fortitude last night at Atlanta. Rallying from an early deficit with another poor start by the defense and a sluggish start by the offense sent a strong message to the league that the defending Super Bowl champs may very well be better this season.

Oh, if I'm Sean Payton I'm kicking myself for ignoring Jimmy Graham for nearly the entire game in the Week 1 loss to the Packers. Think he might've provided a bit of a matchup advantage in the Saints' favor? The kid is a beast.

I'm sure people are going to ask me what I think about Mark Ingram now since I've been so high on him. Well, the touchdown was nice and he looked good in the short-passing game but unless he starts scoring touchdowns with regularity it's going to be very difficult for him to muster up anything more than decent RB3 value.

Speaking of the Falcons, I like Matt Ryan but I don't believe he's a great QB. At least not yet. He reminds me of Joe Flacco. Both are very skilled but neither one has shown the ability to take the next step and be truly great.

On the bright side, Ryan isn't the only QB in the NFC South who has been a huge disappointment this season. Josh Freeman has been even worse.

OK, maybe there really isn't a bright side to that.

Let me see if I have this straight - Matt Schaub throws for more than 400 yards without Andre Johnson, Darren McFadden is bottled up and the Texans still lost to the Raiders? At home? Yeah, this is a team that has no clue whatsoever how to win. I think Gary Kubiak may be looking for a new job after this season.

As far as Schaub's game-ending INT, it was a horrific decision but he had to throw it in the end zone. Having seen the replay a few times, he had a 0% chance of running in for the score. Throwing the ball was the right decision. Throwing it to Michael Huff? Well that wasn't very bright.

Mike Williams is morphing into Michael Clayton in front of our eyes. Yeah, I said it.

Fred Jackson and Benjarvus Green-Ellis - the two most underrated RBs in the NFL.

If you can't put up huge passing numbers against the putrid Pats defense you stink. Hey Mark Sanchez and the Jets offense, you stink.

Staying in New York, can someone explain to me how the Giants lost to the Seahawks and Charlie Whitehurst? That was a typo, right? Right?

Dear Kevin Kolb - please just throw the ball to Larry Fitzgerald. It will make your life so much easier. Honest it will.

In a shocking development, the Chargers played down to the level of their opponent and nearly lost a very winnable game. Oh wait, that's not shocking at all. That's who they are. Never mind.

Malcom Floyd had a big game but Philip Rivers continues to struggle to get on the same page with his WRs. This is a passing offense that's been able to move the ball effectively with big strikes downfield to Floyd and Vincent Jackson but with a few exceptions the big-play element has been missing. At some point I have to believe it will return. At least I think it will. Jackson and Floyd owners sure hope it will.

The Broncos' 1-3 start wasn't entirely Kyle Orton's fault. He actually hadn't been that bad - considering he's Kyle Orton - but now that it's Tebow Time the Broncos have to make the commitment to Tebow the rest of the season and find out what he can do. Tebow can look absolutely horrific playing QB but there's no denying things just happen when he's on the field. That counts for something - or at least it should if your team stinks like Denver's does.

Sometimes it's the little things which you agonize over during a fantasy season and sometimes it's the really obvious mistakes which haunt you forever. Kind of like being in a league with tight roster limits and bonus points for long TDs and dropping Pierre Garcon after Week 2 for David Nelson. How big of an idiot would you have to be to have done that?

Don't look now but thanks to Curtis Painter, the Colts have a pulse. They still aren't very good but having a pulse is a pretty huge step in the right direction given how awful they looked the first two games of the season.

Please Kevin Kolb, just throw the ball to Larry Fitzgerald.

Maybe the 49ers are for real. Then again, in that division it won't take much to win it. But Alex Smith is playing better. I've never been a fan but I have to give him his due. Looks like Harbaugh's influence might be working.

Dear Jim Harbaugh, this isn't college football where you need to win by 75 points so you can move up in the polls. So stop doing stupid s**t when you have a huge lead late in the game and just allow the game to end gracefully. Sincerely, Josh Morgan.

Dear Jim Harbaugh (Part 2) - please put the FG back on the board you took away after a stupid penalty by Tampa Bay. Sincerely, David Akers owners.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise to see DeAngelo Williams break out against the Saints. He's still a talented RB. But unless he (or Jonathan Stewart) bust a long run, TDs are going to be tough to come by. Cam Newton owns everything inside the 5.

Don't look now but Matt Cassel is quietly regaining QB2 status.

Oh, and Dwayne Bowe is pretty damn good.

I'm always amazed when teams are trying to rally on their final possession and do not give the ball once to their best playmaker. I'm curious to know if Maurice Jones-Drew is wondering the same thing today.

Just when it looked like Hines Ward's fantasy value was in the toilet, he drops 7 receptions and 2 TDs on the Titans. Maybe he's not done yet.

Adrian Peterson busted up the Cardinals for 122 yards and 3 TDs on Sunday. You know the same team that passed on him in the 2007 draft despite having a Mt. Rushmore-sized hole at the RB position. I'm guessing Peterson hasn't forgotten.

The next big thing at WR often tends to quickly come and go (just ask David Nelson owners) but Victor Cruz looks legit. If nothing else, he sure can make some amazing receptions.

Sebastian Janikowski kick ball far.

It's not often you find a 1-4 team that's fun to watch, but the Carolina Panthers are a lot of fun to watch. I think it's safe to say Cam Newton has already paid off on the investment the Panthers made in him.

Before the season, I Tweeted that one thing Michael Vick owners should expect is a regression to the man in terms of INTs. His 21/6 TD/INT ratio last season was clearly an anomaly and that's being born out this season as he is once again reckless with the ball.

For a so-called "super" team, the Eagles sure aren't very impressive. The best teams in the NFC right now? The Packers and Saints with the Lions nipping at their heels.

And finally, is there any chance tonight's game can be canceled or called a 0-0 tie? That would really help me in my top fantasy league. Dare to dream.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

da bears

Post by da bears » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:27 am

Good stuff as always Tom. Fitzgerald has been disappointing to say the least. I thought Kolb would play better but he has been pathetic.

Atlanta needs to get the ball more in Roddy White's hands!!

Don't look now but the Eagles are in the running in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. Their defense is horrible and Vick is a turnover machine.
Bauler Shot Caller

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:33 am

Tom, I'm doing everything I can to keep tonight's game at an absolute fantasy minimum. My anti mojo spells are brewing as we speak. See:Monday Night Needs thread. ;)
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Fro

Post by Fro » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:49 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

Dear Jim Harbaugh (Part 2) - please put the FG back on the board you took away after a stupid penalty by Tampa Bay. Sincerely, David Akers owners.

At lease he has learned from his mistakes. The niners scored a TD on the next play.

Harbaugh did exactly what you suggested against dallas and it ended up costing them the game.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:53 am

Originally posted by Fro:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

At lease he has learned from his mistakes. The niners scored a TD on the next play.
[/QUOTE]Yeah, but I only got one point there instead of five. You're clearly not understanding the issue here. ;)
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

renman

Post by renman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:11 am

A few more thoughts..

-I as a spoiled Steeler fan (team almost always good, if not great) am happy for fans of Buffalo and Detroit. The NFL showing why the salary cap works. (Hey MLB, can you hear me?). Ps., this is same reason I am rooting for Detroit vs Milwaukee World Series

-How do the Giants not run the ball come with a minute and change near the goaline in a game where they want to run some clock and score? Unreal to me.

-The NFL is coaches league. Look no further than San Fran to see how fast a culture can turn around.

-How come Wes Welker is the only one in the NFL who can do what he does? No other team can find a slot receiver who is quick with good hands who can find soft spots in the zone to the point of 7+ receptions every week sustaining drives? Are you listening "black Wes Welker" Mr Burleson?

-Time flies in the NFL. Feels like yesterday I was watching week 2 pre season games trying to determine which tight ends I liked this year. Now we are in week 5 and the season nearly half over.

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:45 am

Originally posted by da bears:

Atlanta needs to get the ball more in Roddy White's hands!!

Playing hurt all year.

renman

Post by renman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:49 am

This years NFFC champions will be those who won the war of attrition and avoided the epic team killing landmines...

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:55 am

Originally posted by Renman:
This years NFFC champions will be those who won the war of attrition and avoided the epic team killing landmines... ie, the most skillful

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:18 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
Tom, I'm doing everything I can to keep tonight's game at an absolute fantasy minimum. My anti mojo spells are brewing as we speak. See:Monday Night Needs thread. ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCEe0UBaIQg