A Couple of Rules Questions

Money

A Couple of Rules Questions

Post by Money » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:30 pm

1. Why is Alfred Blue not credited with any points for his TD on special teams?

2. Why can you not still submit a player from Thursday Nights game into your lineup if you have a spot or spots that have not been used yet. For instance lets say you want to use Russell Wilson at QB why should that decision have to be made at 10:00 am on Sunday. I thought I'd wait and see how my teams did before I made the decision on whether or not to take the sure 25 points. Obviously this is the only week this comes into play. Something to think about for next year.
Joe

CALI CARTEL

Re: A Couple of Rules Questions

Post by CALI CARTEL » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Money wrote:1. Why is Alfred Blue not credited with any points for his TD on special teams?

2. Why can you not still submit a player from Thursday Nights game into your lineup if you have a spot or spots that have not been used yet. For instance lets say you want to use Russell Wilson at QB why should that decision have to be made at 10:00 am on Sunday. I thought I'd wait and see how my teams did before I made the decision on whether or not to take the sure 25 points. Obviously this is the only week this comes into play. Something to think about for next year.
#1, Blue's return isn't technically a "Kick Return"; the ball must cross the Line of Scrimmage to be considered a "punt" -- as is, it's classified more like a Fumble Return than a Punt Return, and individual players are not credited with Fumble Return Points.

#2, I agree with you, if the Cheat Game is in effect, it needs to be in effect thru Monday Night, not turned off at Kick Off on Sunday morning.

Monkeyville

Post by Monkeyville » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:43 pm

The second round of draft weekend concludes the Saturday prior to opening day Sunday. Decisions need to be made prior to 1pm kickoff if you wanted to use a player in the Thursday night game.
FEAR THE MONKEY!!!

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:01 am

Monkeyville wrote:The second round of draft weekend concludes the Saturday prior to opening day Sunday. Decisions need to be made prior to 1pm kickoff if you wanted to use a player in the Thursday night game.
I understand that is the rule in place, but why? If they are allowing that to be used after the fact, why not extend it thru Monday Night so that you can see if you have someone else Active or not?

Extreme example, you have just Eddie Lacy and Andre Ellington to use as your Flex options (this team would be in trouble, but say they were the only two options); word was Ellington was potentially in danger to play this game for a while, if he ended up being inactive, why shouldn't you have been able to use Lacy's points putting him in Monday Night -- or vice versa, why shouldn't you be able to take Lacy out if Ellington was active?

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:54 am

CALI CARTEL wrote:
Monkeyville wrote: Extreme example, you have just Eddie Lacy and Andre Ellington to use as your Flex options (this team would be in trouble, but say they were the only two options); word was Ellington was potentially in danger to play this game for a while, if he ended up being inactive, why shouldn't you have been able to use Lacy's points putting him in Monday Night -- or vice versa, why shouldn't you be able to take Lacy out if Ellington was active?
The point of the week 1 Thursday night rule is so that all leagues start on the same ground since they are national contests with all formats drafting through Saturday. Everyone knows who the Thursday night game is, so everyone has equal chance to weigh that into their draft strategy.

In your Ellington example, every single league had to make the same decision on Sunday that everyone else did before 1 pm, so there is no competitive advantage.

What you're asking for gives you a competitive advantage. You've already seen 15 of the 16 games play out, and if you were content with your score you could just leave Lacy in and not take a zero, locking up a potential top 6 spot.

I would cry foul if you got to watch 15 games, see all the scores, and then decide if you want to use Lacy or not. No, 7 points isn't a lot, but in this hypothetical example what if you got 15 points of Lacy, realized that it wouldn't be enough to get you a win week 1, and then put in Ellington hoping he'd score 20+? That favors you and only you.

The people who use the retro start are gambling without seeing results. What you're asking for is to see results and then gamble. Not similar.

To me this is more just a case of bad luck having Ellington on a Monday night instead of the contest setup. What the original poster is asking is 'I want to see if I'd win with Russell Wilson, if not I want to take him out'. That will never fly.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Money wrote:1. Why is Alfred Blue not credited with any points for his TD on special teams?

The intent of the rule involving the Thursday Night Game isn't to give you through the games' results before making a decision on those players. It's a way to allow us to still have drafts AFTER the Thursday game while allowing everyone no matter when they drafted to know the results and to decide by Sunday morning whether to start those guys or not. You're asking us to make it easy for you. You still have to make the tough decisions on Sunday morning even though you know one result.

I don't think we'll be changing this rule next year.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Money

Post by Money » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:

The intent of the rule involving the Thursday Night Game isn't to give you through the games' results before making a decision on those players. It's a way to allow us to still have drafts AFTER the Thursday game while allowing everyone no matter when they drafted to know the results and to decide by Sunday morning whether to start those guys or not. You're asking us to make it easy for you. You still have to make the tough decisions on Sunday morning even though you know one result.

I don't think we'll be changing this rule next year.
That's fine, it really doesn't matter to me. You give the flexibility to move between positions as long as a spot has not been used. It just seemed to me that this was the same. No harm no foul.
Joe

TR

Post by TR » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:21 pm

Coach JP wrote:
CALI CARTEL wrote:
Monkeyville wrote: Extreme example, you have just Eddie Lacy and Andre Ellington to use as your Flex options (this team would be in trouble, but say they were the only two options); word was Ellington was potentially in danger to play this game for a while, if he ended up being inactive, why shouldn't you have been able to use Lacy's points putting him in Monday Night -- or vice versa, why shouldn't you be able to take Lacy out if Ellington was active?
The point of the week 1 Thursday night rule is so that all leagues start on the same ground since they are national contests with all formats drafting through Saturday. Everyone knows who the Thursday night game is, so everyone has equal chance to weigh that into their draft strategy.

In your Ellington example, every single league had to make the same decision on Sunday that everyone else did before 1 pm, so there is no competitive advantage.

What you're asking for gives you a competitive advantage. You've already seen 15 of the 16 games play out, and if you were content with your score you could just leave Lacy in and not take a zero, locking up a potential top 6 spot.

I would cry foul if you got to watch 15 games, see all the scores, and then decide if you want to use Lacy or not. No, 7 points isn't a lot, but in this hypothetical example what if you got 15 points of Lacy, realized that it wouldn't be enough to get you a win week 1, and then put in Ellington hoping he'd score 20+? That favors you and only you.

The people who use the retro start are gambling without seeing results. What you're asking for is to see results and then gamble. Not similar.

To me this is more just a case of bad luck having Ellington on a Monday night instead of the contest setup. What the original poster is asking is 'I want to see if I'd win with Russell Wilson, if not I want to take him out'. That will never fly.
I agree 100%