Week 4 Thoughts and Observations

Tom Kessenich

Week 4 Thoughts and Observations

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:49 am

Here are some random thoughts and analysis as I wonder how many NFL scouts are going to lose their jobs for so putting so much emphasis on Teddy Bridgewater’s Pro Day and ignoring all of the game film they had on him which clearly portrayed him as a top first-round pick.

I can understand why the Vikings didn’t go with Bridgewater at the start of the season – Matt Cassel did have a better preseason – but there was never any excuse for Blake Bortles to ride the pine in Jacksonville when the season began. He absolutely should have been the Week 1 starter. The Jags don’t have much but it sure looks like they have themselves a talented quarterback. And that’s huge in the NFL.

Speaking of quarterbacks, I’m literally laughing at all of the scouts and GMs who massively dropped Bridgewater on their draft lists because of his Pro Day. Seriously people, did you not even watch him play in college? Everything we saw on Sunday against the Falcons is what he displayed in college.

Speaking of Atlanta, that’s one seriously pathetic defense the Falcons have.

Atlanta’s defense is so bad Green Bay and Chicago’s defenses point to it and go – “That defense sucks.”

Dear Mike Smith – When Julio Jones is on your roster you don’t run Bubble Screens for Devin Hester.

Hey Mike McCarthy, see what happens when you feed Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb? Sometimes this game just ain’t all that difficult.

Jordy Nelson = 2015 first-round pick.

Taking a shot every time the Green Bay defense made a play would be the worst drinking game ever.

As a Packers fan and Eddie Lacy owner in one money league I will admit that I am concerned about Lacy. He had an A+ matchup against the Bears and didn’t look all that good and certainly didn’t take full advantage of it despite Green Bay’s big win. I still wish the Packers would involve him more in the passing game but that was a 100-yard rushing day staring him in the face and he couldn’t even get half that. Not good.

Speaking of not good, I wouldn’t be surprised if we find out later in the season LeSean McCoy’s hiding an injury. He doesn’t look right to me. It’s time to worry Shady owners.

Hold on, Kirk Cousins just threw another interception.

A few minutes before Sunday’s game Ravens beat writers were Tweeting that Bernard Pierce was working extensively with the first-team offense in pregame warmups. Pierce ended up getting the same number of carries on Sunday as I did.

Pretty sure nobody started me even though I had a great week of practice.

I said it last week and I’ll say it again – the Saints’ offense hasn’t looked right since Week 1 in Atlanta. They lost their mojo when Matt Bryant buried them in overtime.

With the game on the line you can have either one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history, a sure-fire Hall of Famer, attempt a pass or a punter. I gotta admit, that sure is a difficult decision isn’t it Sean Payton?

Hall ofFamer or Punter?

Hall of Famer or Punter?

Hall of Famer or Punter?

Whatcha gonna do?

Yup, you just gotta go with the punter. I’m with ya Sean. Makes perfect sense. I honestly don’t see how you would come to any other logical conclusion.

I know Brandin Cooks is getting a lot of the “Darren Sproles” stuff in the New Orleans offense but shouldn’t you try to work a guy with his game-breaking speed into some downfield routes too? Cooks’ Yard Per Catch average is shockingly low one month into the season. If the Saints want to jump-start their offense maybe try getting Cooks loose downfield once or twice a game at least. Just a thought.

If DeMarco Murray can play all 16 games we’re looking at a legit MVP candidate. That’s how you play running back in the NFL.

Kirk Cousins just threw another interception standing in line at McDonald’s trying to decide if he wanted fries with that.

Calvin Johnson two catches for 12 yards. Jarius Wright 8 catches for 132 yards. Just like everyone predicted.

Being a fantasy football player and/or analyst isn’t easy but sometimes you get an easy call absolutely gift wrapped to you that’s so obvious there’s no way you can blow it. This week’s example – starting Steve Smith against the Panthers. I may never have an easier call to make in my entire life. Everyone in the galaxy knew Smith was gonna tear Carolina up.

It took four games but Keenan Allen finally arrived. Patience isn’t always easy in this game but it sure can reward you if you have it.

I like Cecil Shorts but man that guy gets hurt a lot.

I really liked Frank Gore this week against the Eagles but I sure didn’t see a touchdown catch coming and I absolutely didn’t see a 55-yard TD catch. But hey I’ll take it.

Kirk Cousins just threw another interception trying to decide if he wanted to trade in his old iPhone for the iPhone6.

Chris Ivory being on the field in obvious passing situations is all kinds of dumb.

Rex Ryan can insist Geno Smith is his starting quarterback all he wants but Smith is one more bad game away from forcing Mike Vick onto the field, assuming the Jets are seriously interested in trying to win football games.

Hold on Matt Asiata just scored again.

Remember when there was a legitimate debate about whether Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III was the better NFL quarterback?

Outstanding job protecting the lead late in the game Pittsburgh.

Apparently all Vincent Jackson needed to start finding the end zone again was Mike Glennon at quarterback.

Just once I wanna see Mike Glennon end an interview with – “Tina you fat lard.”

I’m pretty sure J.J. Watt is responsible for everything that’s ever happened everywhere.

And finally if you started Mike Glennon, Justin Forsett, Matt Asiata, Jarius Wright, Louis Murphy Jerricho Cotchery, and Clay Harbor this week you suck.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

The Franchise

Re: Week 4 Thoughts and Observations

Post by The Franchise » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:19 pm

- Shady is technically not hiding an injury, everyone knew about it in the preseason. He has turf-toe, plus like we talked about last week the O-line lost too many guys.

- Getting Lacy involved in passing game or getting him in space is not going to help. He is what he is (BTW Lacy and getting him in space do not go together :lol: Charles and space...yes / Gio and space.....yes / Bush and space....yes )

- There were some warning signs with Calvin since he didn't warm up with offense and ended up going back into the locker room when they were throwing. But if he's active you just have to play him I guess. No win situation for Calvin owners

- You think it's dawned on Mike Smith that Antone Smith (No relation) is their best back yet and it's not even close?

- I think Stills is a better WR than Cooks at this stage of the game. I see Cooks still making mistakes out there and he is a terrible blocker. I also think Payton tries to be too smart and now people are starting to question since they are losing instead of blowing teams out
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:41 pm

I'm not sure why the Saints feel the need to use 3 RBs in every game. Cadet??? Why not just use Thomas and Robinson who are clearly better players and get them into a rhythm?

Xavier Rhodes looks like a nice DB. Did well against them Falcon WR's.

I think Phillip Rivers is the best QB in the league right now.

Bills will be looking for a new QB and coach next year.

Bridgewater looked nice but maybe the Falcon defense will be making a lot of QBs look good.

TR

Post by TR » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:47 am

David U Kennedy wrote:I'm not sure why the Saints feel the need to use 3 RBs in every game. Cadet??? Why not just use Thomas and Robinson who are clearly better players and get them into a rhythm?

Xavier Rhodes looks like a nice DB. Did well against them Falcon WR's.

I think Phillip Rivers is the best QB in the league right now.

Bills will be looking for a new QB and coach next year.

Bridgewater looked nice but maybe the Falcon defense will be making a lot of QBs look good.
Bills been looking for new QB and Coach for like 2 decades now :lol:

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:30 am

David U Kennedy wrote: I think Phillip Rivers is the best QB in the league right now.
It's not even close, Andrew Luck is not only the best QB in the league right now, I believe he will be one of the best ever.
Last edited by JETS SB on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:42 am

I took massive abuse on Twitter last year when I said Luck would soon be the No. 1 QB in fantasy. None of those people have Tweeted at me in awhile. Wonder why. :D
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:32 am

Maybe Shady's lousy start to the season is a little payback *** KARMA *** from the .002% tip that he left that wait staff at the restaurant.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:26 pm

JETS SB wrote:
David U Kennedy wrote: I think Phillip Rivers is the best QB in the league right now.
It's not even close, Andrew Luck is not only the best QB in the league right now, I believe he will be one of the best ever.
I don't see how it's not close. SD is 3-1, Rivers has 1 INT and they beat Seattle. Colts are 2-2 and Luck has 4 INT. 2 wins against the Jags and Titans is unimpressive. Rivers gets my vote. I think you are confusing fantasy and reality. Rivers looks unstoppable and has a ridiculous completion percentage. He is in command like a well oiled Peyton!!!

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Rivers is no Peyton - not even close.

What does the team record have to do with how good a QB is? This goes back to the entire Marino debate. Using a more recent parrallel, I assume that Lebron wasn't a superstar until he went to Miami and won a championship......:)

If you aren't watching Luck play each game then you might not have an appreciation for just how good this guy is. He's not Peyton yet but he has a chance.

Wayne

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:20 pm

Coltsfan wrote:Rivers is no Peyton - not even close.

What does the team record have to do with how good a QB is? This goes back to the entire Marino debate. Using a more recent parrallel, I assume that Lebron wasn't a superstar until he went to Miami and won a championship......:)

If you aren't watching Luck play each game then you might not have an appreciation for just how good this guy is. He's not Peyton yet but he has a chance.

Wayne
Rivers is having a good start to the season. San Diego is playing well. They have a good defense and some decent skill players. That being said, Andrew Luck is on another level and I am not just talking stats. I don't measure QB's based upon a few more INTs or QB rating. You are exactly right Wayne, unless you watch Luck every game, you cant appreciate the guy. I said it last year and I will say it again this year, Andrew Luck is on his way to greatness. I have him on ONE fantasy team. I am not a Colts fan. I am saying it based upon what I see. He is the best.