Week 10 Thoughts & Observations

Tom Kessenich

Week 10 Thoughts & Observations

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:10 am

Here are some random thoughts and observations as I give thanks that Week 9 is over and I can enjoy fantasy football again:

Great job by the Bears last night denying Aaron Rodgers a chance to tie the NFL record for most touchdown passes in a game. That’s how you step up with history on the line. Well done guys. Game balls for everyone.

I was especially impressed by Chicago’s decision to not defend Jordy Nelson. That plan was executed to perfection.

For weeks and weeks and weeks (and weeks) I begged the Packers to start using Eddie Lacy in the passing game. It’s finally happened the last two games. The result? Eleven receptions for 191 yards and a touchdown.

Yeah, you might wanna keep getting the Big Fella in space, Mike McCarthy.

Unfortunately, all of this is probably too late for Lacy owners who took him early in the first round. But at least you can feel somewhat vindicated for the decision. Wasn’t your fault McCarthy didn’t figure out how to properly integrate Lacy into the passing game until recently. It should’ve been happening all along.

Jay Cutler is a prime example of why you don’t pay quarterbacks just because you can get them for “market value.” You pay the guys you are 100% confident can lead you to the Super Bowl. If you have any concerns or reservations at all you let them go. I don’t care who they are. Don’t settle. Aim high. That’s the best way to win big in this league.

And yeah, Cincinnati I’m looking at you and Andy Dalton too.

I love you Jimmy Graham but stop whining. You absolutely positively and without a shadow of a doubt pushed off on the Hail Mary pass. That may have been the easiest call any ref had to make all season long.

Speaking of easy calls, is there a bigger slam dunk in fantasy than starting Brandin Cooks at home? The dude has been absolute money in the dome.

Conversely, it sure looks like Marques Colston is done. The only thing you can count on from him these days is at least one truly awful drop a game. At least one. On a good day.

He’s one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history and a sure-fire, first-ballot Hall of Famer but Drew Brees sure does make some inexplicably stupid decisions at times. The interception he threw in the end zone to Graham who was surrounded by not one, not two, but THREE 49ers was horrific. But his final sack and fumble was just as bad. A quarterback with his experience simply has to feel the pass rush better than that, especially with the game on the line.

So we’re done with the whole “Rob Ryan is a great defensive coach” thing right?

Hey look, the 49ers remembered Frank Gore was still on the team and won the game. I’m sure that’s just a coincidence, right?

I know the Cardinals have managed to win this season without Carson Palmer but can they do it for the next 2-3 months? I have my doubts. I think the clock struck midnight on Cinderella which is too damn bad because Arizona sure had the look of a Super Bowl contender again.

Palmer’s injury really is a gut blow. He was having a rejuvenated season in Arizona. A Top 10 fantasy QB playing some of the best ball of his career. A damn shame to see it come to an end like that.

All John Brown does is catch game winning touchdowns.

I really expected more from Matt Ryan on Sunday. Yes Devin Hester cost him a second TD pass by flat-out dropping an easy catch in the end zone but I thought Ryan would carve up the hapless Bucs. The fact he couldn’t do it on a day when Steven Jackson had his best game of the season was especially disappointing.

The Giants don’t have much right now but Odell Beckham Jr. is gonna be a stud.

I’m not an NFL historian but this is easily the strongest year for rookie wide receivers I can remember in quite some time. If you were a team in need of a receiver and didn’t get one in this draft you seriously screwed the pooch. They were everywhere.

If the Panthers win tonight they will be in first place in the NFC South.

I don’t even know what to say to that.

Oh yeah I do, the NFC South sucks.

Bryce Brown’s still a fumbler.

Hold on, Andy Dalton just threw a pass wildly off target again.

So a few weeks ago, there was a “report” indicating the Seahawks were tired of Marshawn Lynch and were going to get rid of him after the season. After watching him on Sunday, I wonder if the Seahawks are still tired of Lynch and ready to move on.

On Sunday, there was a report about how concerned the Cowboys were with Dez Bryant due to his off-the-field issues. After watching Bryant on Sunday, I wonder how concerned the Cowboys are about him today.

Bryant, by the way, did not catch a single pass in three quarters against Jacksonville so he clearly failed to come through for his fantasy owners.

I’m always leery of teams that need to consistently rally late to win games. That always seems to be an attribute difficult to replicate in the postseason. But I will say this about the Lions, there’s no quit in that group. Jim Caldwell has proven to be an enormous upgrade over Jim Schwartz.

Welcome back Megatron. You’ve been missed.

Calvin Johnson had a typical Calvin type of day but Brent Grimes played him about as well as any human can. He was all over Calvin on just about every route. The fact Calvin put up huge numbers is a testament to his greatness, not an indictment on how Grimes played.

Golden Tate topped 100 yards receiving WITH Calvin back in the lineup. Yeah, I think he’s been a pretty good free-agent pickup by the Lions.

Oh and you should probably keep starting him every week.

Travis Kelce had two more targets on Sunday than I did. I’m sure that makes perfect sense to Andy Reid but it doesn’t make a lick of sense to me.

It always seems like Jamaal Charles is just one touch away from a big play. He is so explosive and nearly impossible to shut down for four quarters.

Ben Roethlisberger threw 12 touchdowns the last two weeks. On Sunday, he had BY FAR his easiest matchup in the last three games. So of course he only threw one TD pass.

Although it was a thing of beauty to Martavis Bryant.

In case you’re wondering why the Steelers lost on Sunday, apparently Justin Bieber stayed at the team hotel in New Jersey. Honestly, do you need any other explanation?

I’m not saying the Jets would be a playoff contender but you have to wonder how much better they’d be if they would have given Michael Vick a legitimate opportunity to be their starting quarterback in camp instead of handing the job to Geno Smith. He’s so much better than Smith.

Vick has his flaws but the guy still has a rocket for an arm. The TD bomb he threw to T.Y. Graham was a grown man’s NFL throw.

Hold on Aaron Rodgers just threw another touchdown pass.

Justin Forsett. Waiver Wire Pickup of the Year.

And finally, if you started Josh McCown, Terrance West, C.J. Anderson, Cecil Shorts, Preston Parker, Jared Cook and the Cardinals defense this week please set my lineup in the Beckett Magazine League the rest of the season because I just can’t do anything right there.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Coltsfan

Re: Week 10 Thoughts & Observations

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:07 pm

Tom,

Your weekly thoughts and obsverations is always my favorite read of the week. Thanks for doing this!

Wayne

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Coltsfan wrote:Tom,

Your weekly thoughts and obsverations is always my favorite read of the week. Thanks for doing this!

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. I appreciate you saying that. :)
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:15 pm

I also always enjoy reading your weekly thoughts Tom.
But I think you missed the biggest story of the week?! :D

Team W L T  Pct PF PA
Cleveland Browns 6 3 0 0.667 209 172
Cincinnati Bengals 5 3 1 0.611 197 211
Pittsburgh Steelers 6 4 0 0.600 261 239
Baltimore Ravens 6 4 0 0.600 261 181

Now recall that they've done this:
1. Without arguably the best WR in the league, Josh Gordon, all season
2. Mostly without two prominent Pro Bowlers: TE Jordan Cameron and center Alex Mack
3. Recently without high-target jitterbug, Andrew Hawkins
I can't wait to see this team at full strength!

I recall GM Ray Farmer saying this summer the same thing I was saying to anyone who’d listen:
“Name the best WRs on the Super Bowl Seahawks and how much did they matter?"
The Browns currently have a strong [3-headed] backfield, an intelligent, gutsy game manager QB, and a filthy defense. Sound familiar?

I admit they’ve enjoyed a soft spot in their schedule the past few weeks (and couldn’t even beat the Jags!).
But this week they embarrassed a division rival in their building on national tv. That makes a statement.
Their next 3 opponents – vs. HOU, @ATL and @BUF – are all beatable. Hopefully they stay hot.

"Why not us?"
"The last time the Browns were in first place in the division after 10 weeks of the season was 1994.
That happened in the Bill Belichick days, before the team moved out of town and took three years off."

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-brown ... -afc-north

"Two weeks from Thanksgiving, the AFC North is still the only division in football where all four teams remain above .500."
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/art ... 49fd3176c3

"The AFC North is clearly the best division in the NFL."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... on-in-2014

Dawg Pound Journal: 7 different ways the Cleveland Browns are winning games
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/art ... d69c76fd91

TR

Post by TR » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:45 pm

So a few weeks ago, there was a “report” indicating the Seahawks were tired of Marshawn Lynch and were going to get rid of him after the season. After watching him on Sunday, I wonder if the Seahawks are still tired of Lynch and ready to move on.

I wouldn't doubt that report even despite what Lynch did Sunday. Christine Michael had 71 yards on 4 carries...he'd be getting 200+ yards a week with Lynch touches. Michael is an explosive player and looks to be a future star.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Oh I think there was some truth to it too but I think you could make an argument there was some PR work being done by the team. We saw it with the Harvin smear campaign after he was traded and then we saw it again with the Cowboys and Dez yesterday.

Stuff like that could backfire, though. If Lynch keeps playing like this (and he definitely could, especially if he feels he's being slighted) it could force the Seahawks to keep him. And if Dez is steamed he could ramp up his play and force the Cowboys to pay even more to keep him.

Both of those guys played angry yesterday. And that type of play could prove to have financial repercussions for both teams.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

TR

Post by TR » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:59 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:Oh I think there was some truth to it too but I think you could make an argument there was some PR work being done by the team. We saw it with the Harvin smear campaign after he was traded and then we saw it again with the Cowboys and Dez yesterday.

Stuff like that could backfire, though. If Lynch keeps playing like this (and he definitely could, especially if he feels he's being slighted) it could force the Seahawks to keep him. And if Dez is steamed he could ramp up his play and force the Cowboys to pay even more to keep him.

Both of those guys played angry yesterday. And that type of play could prove to have financial repercussions for both teams.

I was reading Lynch had 1/4 of his fantasy production in that 1 game....giants defense or lack thereof is like playing rookie level on Madden..lol I will love to see Lynch run like that against SUH and the Lions elite run defense come playoff time...he will be angry from getting stuffed so much

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:00 pm

The Chiefs are the only team in the league that hasn't allowed a rushing TD yet this season. They're up next for Lynch.

Should be a lot of fun to watch.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

TR

Post by TR » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:04 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:The Chiefs are the only team in the league that hasn't allowed a rushing TD yet this season. They're up next for Lynch.

Should be a lot of fun to watch.
Should be a slobberknocker for sure...I am surprised at that stat considering Chiefs lost Derrick Johnson.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:09 pm

Mike,

After years of the NFL being a 31 team league, who can blame Tom for forgetting their existence??????

Wayne