Pickup Question

spcohen74

Pickup Question

Post by spcohen74 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:27 am

Just want to confirm, no pickups are made until after week 1 is completed. Correct? Just asking because my kicker (ha ha) was cut. For teams that draft early so many things can happen before the season starts and to not have a kicker for week 1 without being able to make a pickup for someone on a team kind of stinks. Nobody should have to draft two kickers either. I know it won't change anything just stinks.

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Pickup Question

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:33 am

spcohen74 wrote:Just want to confirm, no pickups are made until after week 1 is completed. Correct? Just asking because my kicker (ha ha) was cut. For teams that draft early so many things can happen before the season starts and to not have a kicker for week 1 without being able to make a pickup for someone on a team kind of stinks. Nobody should have to draft two kickers either. I know it won't change anything just stinks.
Correct. No Week 1 pickups. It's something we can look at in the future, but really that is the one position that probably needs a backup. With 20 roster spots there is enough room for that insurance, but I definitely understand what you're saying.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

ulbkumn

Post by ulbkumn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:12 am

The average fantasy points for a kicker last year was less than 8 points. Is it worth a back up?

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:56 am

ulbkumn wrote:The average fantasy points for a kicker last year was less than 8 points. Is it worth a back up?
It's a chance you take, but I'd rather not go into a h2h match spotting my opponent 8 points, or whatever the number is. Of course, the best option is to not draft a PK that's on the bubble.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:05 am

It should just be team kicker period. All the guys who took Suisham earlier are screwed too. I would NEVER, EVER waste a roster spot on a 2nd kicker early in the drafting season, too many dart throws that you could hit on early. After this round of preseason games most of those will be gone though

spcohen74

Post by spcohen74 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:12 am

Don't get me wrong I love the NFFC product but was just throwing it out there as a possibility next year. I know in the NFBC we are able to make pickups before the season starts. I just think with injuries and kickers getting cut you should be able to make an initial pickup period to have a full starting lineup to compete instead of feeling like you are behind from the start of the season.

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:28 am

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:It should just be team kicker period. All the guys who took Suisham earlier are screwed too. I would NEVER, EVER waste a roster spot on a 2nd kicker early in the drafting season, too many dart throws that you could hit on early. After this round of preseason games most of those will be gone though
I would be perfectly fine with this option. Solves all injury issues.

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:40 am

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:It should just be team kicker period. All the guys who took Suisham earlier are screwed too. I would NEVER, EVER waste a roster spot on a 2nd kicker early in the drafting season, too many dart throws that you could hit on early. After this round of preseason games most of those will be gone though
Not sure I agree, but it's just personal preference when drafting early.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Maize Rage

Post by Maize Rage » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:45 am

Maybe by your thought process we should have team QB as well...if it ain't broke don't fix it. All the teams who took Jordy/Kelvin/Arian early are a lot more screwed than the Suisham owners who will get a like replacement after 1 week. Injury risk is part of drafting.

spcohen74

Post by spcohen74 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:30 pm

I agree that the people who drafted kelvin, Arian, etc. are more screwed but I think everyone should have a chance to make pickups before the season starts to make up for what happened in the preseason. Everyone should be able to field a full team week 1. It may not be a first rounder like jordy but at least it's not a zero. It's the way every league I've been in allows pickups and like I mentioned earlier the nfbc teams also have a FAAB period before games start. And in baseball one week doesn't affect you close to the way football does due to the shorter season.