systematic removal of bye and inactive players

Cocktails and Dreams

systematic removal of bye and inactive players

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:29 am

One place that I play at has this feature. I am curious what the negatives are of implementing it? We can all benefit or not by the guy that gives up. Curious as to who would be opposed to a feature like that and why. Your score would never be worse if this was implemented. Would this be a good thing to help avoid the dead teams late? At first thought I cannot think of reasons why it is a bad idea.

BLACKHAND

Re: systematic removal of bye and inactive players

Post by BLACKHAND » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:34 am

Been saying this for yrs now. Nothing gets me more more upset than a owner who gives up on his team with no respect for league integrity.....maybe one thing gets me more upset, starting lacy last night. :twisted:
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:15 am

I couldn't agree more with this. Too much can be impacted in the standings late in the year if a dead-beat owner isn't setting a valid line-up or has one that includes injured players. There's a lot of money on the line in the leagues that many of us played and this really shouldn't be a factor into the outcome.
Go Big Red!

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:00 am

agree. Some leagues I am in I am like 2-10 but setting lineups every week and was still very active in FAAB this week. That should be the norm...too many people give up and stop paying attention

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:51 am

What if the system "automatically" put Peyton Manning in your lineup a few weeks ago?

That would have definitely had a NEGATIVE impact!

TR

Post by TR » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Totally agree...much like instant replay...should have the technology to use this...far more positives than negative for leagues overall by implementing this imo. I mean dude in my Primetime league quit after 1st month smh

Route C

Post by Route C » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:37 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:One place that I play at has this feature. I am curious what the negatives are of implementing it? We can all benefit or not by the guy that gives up. Curious as to who would be opposed to a feature like that and why. Your score would never be worse if this was implemented. Would this be a good thing to help avoid the dead teams late? At first thought I cannot think of reasons why it is a bad idea.
Chad I agree with you and frank on this. It does unbalance the "fairness" scale of H2H play. I'm curious how the program works. It seems the only way that makes sense is if the program replaces the player based on highest PPG avg on the bench. Is that how it works?

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:56 pm

I think it's a decent idea. RT had it this season.

Isn't perfect ... it benched my kicker last week when he was announced as OUT. Unfortunately, that team was out of FAAB and I didnt have a K on the bench. :o Still not a bad idea for accidental bye-week starts or abandoned teams.

mtreff4

Post by mtreff4 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:34 pm

Might be easier to just switch from a head to head format to a power rankings format or a breakdown format. In my other league the standings are based 100% on power ranking: 1/3 record, 1/3 points, and 1/3 breakdown. The league has been around 18 years and we all agree this is the best format. We didn't want to eliminate weekly head to head competition, but when we pay big money, head to head record is no doubt a terrible way to determine the champion. How many times have we all scored the second most points in the league and lost our game due to the computer generated league schedule? We're not out there on the field playing defense against our opponent. Our opponent is purely luck. Their team management, their injury timing, their bye weeks, it's all luck.

With the power ranking format, if a team quits before the season is over, the team that plays them only gets a very small boost, 1/3 the boost that they get with the current format in NFFC. Every team would compete against each other in points and breakdown that week, so the consequence of the dead team is minimal.

Power ranking evens it out, it takes a lot of the scheduling luck out of the equation. And it prevents a team that finished 9th in their league in total points from winning that league. Which just happened in the NFFC Classic this week. 9th in points, yet somehow already clinched best record.

Having a computer decide to change the dead teams lineup last minute can get dicey. Will the computer put in a guy who will score 1 point? Or 25 points? Who decides which guy will be the replacement players for the dead teams? Power rankings format is a less complicated solution. It works.

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:17 pm

I would support automatic substitutions for injuries and bye weeks. I would support the power ranking method for standings as a secondary option. In my OC league there is an owner that hasn't logged in since Oct 25 and it is affecting the playoff race. Last week he had 5 zeros. Daren.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion