What Does The First Round Of 2016 Look Like?

Greg Ambrosius

What Does The First Round Of 2016 Look Like?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:55 pm

It was a crazy, crazy year in 2015, so let's look ahead to 2016 and see what the early rounds will look like. I think we're seeing a revolution in fantasy football with Quarterbacks falling to the 5th round and even later, while the Running Backs are no longer all going in the first two rounds. It's going to be a Wide Receiver-heavy draft in 2016 folks.

I'm not ranking any of these, but let's look at the first round. Will there be only 3 RBs in the first round or do you expect others to slip into that initial round? Here's an early guess from me:

1st Round of 2016:
Antonio Brown
Julio Jones
Odell Beckham Jr.
Le'Veon Bell
Todd Gurley
Adrian Peterson
Dez Bryant
DeAndre Hopkins
Rob Gronkowski
Allen Robinson
Jordy Nelson
DeMaryius Thomas

It's hard not to put Jordy in the Top 12 if he means this much to the Packers' offense. I'm not sure about Thomas, especially with the QB situation in Denver. Maybe Brandon Marshall deserves that spot. Maybe you can push David Johnson or Devonta Freeman into the first round after this year's performances. Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya? ;)

I don't have these ranked in order, but let's see what you have. Who would be your Top 12 for 2016? What the heck, we have plenty of time to speculate. Let's see what you have. Thanks all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Re: What Does The First Round Of 2016 Look Like?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:45 pm

For me:

1. Brown
2. Julio
3. Beckham
4. Bell
5. Gurley
6. Dez (assuming he and Romo are healthy)
7. Robinson
8. Hopkins
9. Peterson
10. Jordy
11. Gronk
12. Marshall

Marshall is the one I'm struggling with the most. Hard to see him falling off but if Fitz can't sustain #FitzMagic for an entire season it could get troublesome there. But he's still an elite talent. Others I'll be considering at the turn are Edelman, Keenan Allen, Jeffery, Cooks, Green, Watkins and Cooper.

There is so much WR depth that I could see guys like Demaryius and Cobb being value picks next year. Cobb, in particular, looks like someone who could fall to the third round due to all the WRs who are coming off good years and he isn't. If he falls to the late second or beyond I'm gonna be all over that. I fully expect him to bounce back if Jordy returns.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:For me:

1. Brown
2. Julio
3. Beckham
4. Bell
5. Gurley
7. Robinson
8. Hopkins
9. Peterson
10. Jordy
11. Gronk
12. Marshall

Marshall is the one I'm struggling with the most. Hard to see him falling off but if Fitz can't sustain #FitzMagic for an entire season it could get troublesome there. But he's still an elite talent. Others I'll be considering at the turn are Edelman, Keenan Allen, Jeffery, Cooks, Green, Watkins and Cooper.

There is so much WR depth that I could see guys like Demaryius and Cobb being value picks next year. Cobb, in particular, looks like someone who could fall to the third round due to all the WRs who are coming off good years and he isn't. If he falls to the late second or beyond I'm gonna be all over that. I fully expect him to bounce back if Jordy returns.
You really think Jordy is R1 coming off that injury? He's not a kid anymore ... I'd be surprised if he's ahead of Alshon, Green, maybe a few others.

TR

Post by TR » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:52 pm

kjduke wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:For me:

1. Brown
2. Julio
3. Beckham
4. Bell
5. Gurley
7. Robinson
8. Hopkins
9. Peterson
10. Jordy
11. Gronk
12. Marshall

You really think Jordy is R1 coming off that injury? He's not a kid anymore ... I'd be surprised if he's ahead of Alshon, Green, maybe a few others.
I agree regarding Jordy...would take Megatron over him and Marshall.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:17 pm

I can't ever remember a hurt player going where he went the year before, I mean AP and Charles were way younger than Jordy and went in the 3rd round the year after they tore their ACL's after going in the top 5. Plus GB looks like a dumpster fire right now.

How does Freeman and his 71 catches not go in the first round much less the top half???

And I'm sure Cam and his sky high upside will go well before round 5. Probably more like round 2 or 3.

TR

Post by TR » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:32 pm

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:I can't ever remember a hurt player going where he went the year before, I mean AP and Charles were way younger than Jordy and went in the 3rd round the year after they tore their ACL's after going in the top 5. Plus GB looks like a dumpster fire right now.

How does Freeman and his 71 catches not go in the first round much less the top half???

And I'm sure Cam and his sky high upside will go well before round 5. Probably more like round 2 or 3.
I'd take Cam's top receiver Benjamin coming off his torn ACL ahead of Jordy also. Benjamin is younger with more upside. I agree, never see guys coming off torn ACLs taken where they went year before.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:34 pm

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:I can't ever remember a hurt player going where he went the year before, I mean AP and Charles were way younger than Jordy and went in the 3rd round the year after they tore their ACL's after going in the top 5. Plus GB looks like a dumpster fire right now.

Yep, can't imagine Jordy going in the first round with the Packers overall offensive struggles (it can't ALL be Jordy), another year older, and the ACL but not hard to see Freeman going first. I don't think I go near Jordy early second either. Freeman has an extremely high floor with that reception total and could easily produce like he did in the first half of the season, Falcons just had lots of easy teams early this year and lots of difficult ones late.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:39 am

Yeah, good points on Jordy. I can see him going in the second round. My only thoughts on him being Top 12 was that the ACL injury happened in mid-August, so he will have a full year to recover and reports are that he's doing fine now and is around the practice facility. I know it's not just Jordy, but it's obvious he's a big part of this offense and Rodgers will trust him again now that he knows what the rest of his cast of characters look like. But I can see him going in the 2nd round.

I agree that Freeman looks like a first-rounder and if you believe he can stay healthy and not split time next year with Tevin Coleman he's a good pick. Some have David Johnson reaching the first round as well. Certainly could happen.

Should be fun. Top 10 look solid. The back-end of the draft should be interesting with a mix of good, young RBs and WRs.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:51 am

And both should've gone back in the first round. :)

I'm not worried about Jordy. He's a stud and if he's healthy he'll put up big numbers again. I'll happily aggressively pursue him next year.

Freeman is a tough one for me right now. The stench of first-round RB busts this year may be influencing me but for now I'd view him as more of a second-round pick although that is subject to change.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:23 am

Been talking to a few of the other Trendsetters about next year. Everybody agrees it's going to be different. There's a lot of young talent in the league now, at every position, and some grizzled veterans whose stock has fallen. It'll be interesting, and fun.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"