Critical Time For The NFFC Classic

Greg Ambrosius

Critical Time For The NFFC Classic

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:58 pm

As most of you know, we started the NFFC as a 14-team only format back in 2004, introducing the NFFC Classic to the masses. Don't ask me why I didn't go with the more traditional 12-team route (well, I know why, but still...), but we tried this tougher format and it's been a beast ever since.

Today that beast isn't in a kind way. For the sixth straight year, we're facing a critical time to keep this format moving forward. After finishing with 252 teams last year, we are now near 220 teams and have a great chance to equal last year's total. That would be a good thing. But the puzzle has to fit perfectly and that's where we need help.

We have a lot of early drafts with 8-10 teams in them and we need additional teams to close these out. If we can't do that, we'll have to cancel the early ones and merge owners with later drafts. That will only hurt the final numbers and I understand why. But if we're going to keep doing the 14-team format we need to finish strong again this year like we have in past years.

There are a lot of veteran owners out there who haven't returned yet this year. The hope is that they are looking for the right league to jump into. Please do so soon if possible. We aren't that far from reaching last year's total and since prizes are based on 266 teams we can live with that. But we need those final signups in just the right leagues to make this puzzle fit. Thanks if you can help.

If we can start filling some of these early leagues (and we have 9 full already) it will keep us going forward with this format. It's not easy being the only 14-team contest out there and I understand why. The churn rate in this format is high as it's tough. A lot of people love 10-teamers and obviously the 12-team format is popular, but there's a place for a tough 14-team competition and that's here. But after 13 years it definitely needs to be looked at.

If you're thinking about doing the Classic this year, jump on in soon. There are plenty of Online options and filling up every available league would go a long way toward keeping the Classic alive. If not, we'll have to consider private leagues rather than the national contest going forward. It's just the way it is.

Again, we're looking for 30+ teams to close out this Classic season. Support the 14-teamer if you can and let's compete in the toughest format out there. Thanks all and good luck.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

ForLoveOfTheGame

Re: Critical Time For The NFFC Classic

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:20 pm

The truly, truly great thing about the classic that I don't think owners consider even close to enough are your odds of winning the grand prize. There are only going to be 60ish people again playing for the grand prize in the classic format right? I've never seen a contest EVEN CLOSE to the classic if you want the best odds to win the grand prize. I hear people say 'I can win $250,000 in XXX contest'. Sure, but you have to beat 400+ teams. Three times the money for probably close to seven times the contestants. Good luck with that...

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:38 pm

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:The truly, truly great thing about the classic that I don't think owners consider even close to enough are your odds of winning the grand prize. There are only going to be 60ish people again playing for the grand prize in the classic format right? I've never seen a contest EVEN CLOSE to the classic if you want the best odds to win the grand prize. I hear people say 'I can win $250,000 in XXX contest'. Sure, but you have to beat 400+ teams. Three times the money for probably close to seven times the contestants. Good luck with that...
Last year with 18 leagues we had 54 teams in the Championship Round. If you can finish in the Top 3 in your league you reach the Championship Round and have a 1 in 54 chance of winning $80,000. That's what makes the Classic so great, along with the $7,000 league prize. Thanks for pointing this part out.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:08 pm

I want to thank all of the great owners in the NFFC for stepping up this week. We are slowly filling up many of these early NFFC Classic Leagues and with a little luck can equal or even top last year's total of 252 teams (18 leagues). Prizes are based on 266 teams and if we keep going like we are now we can hit it.

That would more than ensure the future of the 14-team format. Thanks again to everyone who stepped up and stepped in to fill these early Classic Leagues. It's created great momentum and now we're going to do it. I can feel it.

Thanks all and sorry to some of you who had to move to different times and dates, but this is a big jigsaw puzzle that finally is coming together. Thanks all.

NOW SOMEONE CLOSE OUT THAT AUG. 30TH CLASSIC!! ONE SPOT LEFT!! :lol:

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:59 pm

14 team live events, Classic or Auction, it "absolutely" doesn't get any better than that. Gonna be fun in NYC... 8-)
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"