Want to make the NFL game better? Here's some ideas.

KenGill

Want to make the NFL game better? Here's some ideas.

Post by KenGill » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:15 am

Everyone is complaining about the quality of the games and the ratings are down a lot.

They already moved the PAT back to 35 yards -- an excellent change. Now you actually have to watch the PAT because it might be missed.

Now how about considering one or more of these changes to open up the game.
* Eliminate one offensive and one defensive player. 10 on 10.
* You start out with 1st down and 15 yards --- every time. That would force the QB's to throw down the field.
* Give 7 points (rather than 6) for a TD run or pass, that is more than 40 yards. Again, this would discourage the dink and dunk nonsense that everyone uses now.

Feedback appreciated!
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

renman

Re: Want to make the NFL game better? Here's some ideas.

Post by renman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:01 pm

I think we over react as a society to things. The NFL has been an epic ratings and growth machine for decades. Growth cannot go on forever. At some point things have to plateau. I think a combination of things has the ratings down. An off the charts theatrical presidential race. A new generation of young people who do not consume things the way we did traditionally via TV (this trend will continue). We also have a youth that has the attention span of a gnat so more and more will struggle to stay invested in an NFL game. I think the Kaepernick thing (and sheep who have followed him) has irritated a segment of the viewership. When the NFL will not allow stickers on the Cowboys helmets to honor fallen cops but will allow Kaepernick to condemn the nation while in uniform during an NFL game certainly turns off many people. I think the new CBA rules that limit practice and preparation time results in lower quality of play. I don't think it warrants profound change though I would (if I were commish) tell Kaepernick and others you are welcome to protest whatever you want, but you cannot do it while in uniform working in our organization and on the clock.

I do not think the NFL needs profound change. I also do not think we need more passing or more offense or any of that. I think the NFL should always make rule changes over time to try to keep the scoring pace in line with its historical scoring pace. If there were a change to be made I would like to see changes made to how pass interference is called. I have talked about this for more than a decade. It should either be review-able given the fact those plays so profoundly impact a game. I would also like to see two options, incidental pass interference and flagrant pass interference. Incidental is when the defense does everything right, the QB throws a duck up for grabs and it is under thrown and the cornerback, who is chasing an Olympic level sprinter down the field, accidentally runs into the WR who suddenly stops to come back for the horribly thrown ball. That play, to me, does not warrant a spot foul and should be incidental 15 or even 10 yards. The offense should not be rewarded that much for poor execution. Flagrant PI would be when a defensive back clearly impedes the WR from making a catch or play and that can be a spot foul.

Just one mans opinion.