KC Special Team Score?

nolencole

KC Special Team Score?

Post by nolencole » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:44 pm

Is the Punt team considered Special teams? Albert Wilson 55yd not reflected in scoring, will it be updated?

1 INT, 1 RET TD, 2 SACKS, 28 PTS ALD, 1 2PT Ret = 12 Total Points

Thanks
a.k.a. ALABAMA ABANDONED

packman527

Re: KC Special Team Score?

Post by packman527 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:14 am

nolencole wrote:Is the Punt team considered Special teams? Albert Wilson 55yd not reflected in scoring, will it be updated?

1 INT, 1 RET TD, 2 SACKS, 28 PTS ALD, 1 2PT Ret = 12 Total Points

Thanks
No, it's not considered Special Teams. It's considered an offensive play. A. Wilson gets credit for the 55 yd TD run, and that is it. There was no punt, and therefore no change of possession, like a punt return TD would be. Just like if there is a fake on a FG and the holder throws a TD, it's not a Special Teams TD, the points only go to the holder that threw the pass, and the receiver that caught it. No change of possession equals no Defensive or Special Teams points.

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:30 pm

Let me start by saying that I did not have the Chiefs D going in any NFFC format but I understand why some think that the scoring could be changed to include such plays. Here's my rationale.

1. You draft a DST unit and it was the special teams unit that was on the field when the score occurred.

2. If Atlanta would have ran that same fake and scored a TD, the Chiefs DST unit would have had those points go against their points allowed.

So, your special teams unit is responsible for not allowing plays like that but not rewarded when they score on similar plays. With that said, although I understand it, I think the rules are fine the way they are. If this particular rule was changed then what do you do when the offensive team throws a pick 6 and those points go against your defense? They were never on the field to prevent that. Do we not count those? I think it opens up too many other scenarios.
Go Big Red!

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:50 am

This is how I've always viewed it, and one rule clarification goes against my view.

In the NFL (and Pop Warner/High School) rule book, the terms Offense, Defense and Special Team never appear in the text; the sides are called "Team A", which is the team with the ball, and "Team B", which is the team without the ball at any given time. There is no special designation for special teams plays, Team A is the team with the ball, until they kick the ball and it cross the neutral zone, at which time possession transfers to Team B (who then becomes Team A after the change of possession).

For a fantasy Defensive or Special Team scoring play to occur, there must be a point where Team B gains possession of the ball. Since packman527 clearly pointed out, even though the KC Punt Team lined up on the field, there was no change of possession, so Team B never gained possession and the play is just a standard offensive running play.

The point where the fantasy community has differed from my view is on the Double Turnover plays -- since there is a pair of possession changes, the team that newly gains possession is always the Team B or "Defense" even if they began the play as the designated Team A or "Offense" -- I think these plays should award DST points to the team that began the play on Offense, since they made what is classified as a "Defensive" play to regain possession through a fumble recovery and score on the play. Just because the score is made by someone who started the play as a Runningback or Wide Receiver, doesn't mean that it wasn't a Defensive play to cause the score.

I think it was the Redskins who did this a few years back that caused the question to come into play, I don't remember the players involved, but after an Interception by Washington, a Washington WR forced a fumble and returned the ball for a Touchdown. The WR was credited with a Touchdown, which is fine with me, but Washington's DST received nothing for the exchange, and I believe they should have, since the act that led to the Touchdown was a forced fumble, recovery and return -- all of these are specifically synonymous with a Defensive score. It doesn't matter that the Defensive unit wasn't on the field to cause the play, it was a defensive act by the team that caused the score.