What Did We Learn From The Pre-Season Games?

Greg Ambrosius

What Did We Learn From The Pre-Season Games?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 am

Let's start this thread to discuss what we saw in the most recent pre-season games. Without sharing too much information among your competitors, let's discuss what we're seeing on the field before we hit the Draft rooms.

Last night the second official pre-season game aired on the NFL Network. Here's what I saw:

DeShaun Watson is going to win the starting QB job in Houston. If you saw Watson and Tom Savage on the field last night you clearly saw the better quarterback very quickly. Savage engineered two three-and-out series with little dumpoffs and poor throws before leading the Texans to a touchdown drive against second-teamers. He looked good in that drive, but you can see that his upside is limited. Deshaun Watson, however, showed his athleticism and mobility in the pocket and he also showed off a strong arm. This is a guy who played big games during his stellar career at Clemson, so the NFL stage isn't too big for him. Last night he finished 15-of-25 for 179 yards, while rushing for 24 yards and a touchdown. Some of his throws were errant and he's not the most accurate QB, but he could be this year's Dak Prescott to a lesser degree.

Christian McCaffrey had his moments: The Panthers didn't put him in the slot and throw to him much as they tried to conceal what they have in mind for him, but I loved his first carry for 12 yards when he just patiently hid behind the line and then exploded through for a first down. He also showed a burst of speed around the left end for a 7 yard gain. We didn't learn anything new last night, but you could see glimpses of what he's capable of doing in the NFL.

DeAndre Hopkins needs a QB: If Tom Savage is the QB for more than 4 games then Hopkins has limited value. You can just see the little dumpoffs that were all too familiar last year with Brock Osweiler. Hopkins needs what Kelvin Benjamin saw last night, a QB who can throw it deep and give him a chance to use his athleticism to win the jump ball. Easy enough.

Kelvin Benjamin looks good: He entered the game with an ADP of 59 and after his TD catch he was going higher in last night's drafts. What a beautiful athletic play on the 31-yard touchdown reception from Derek Anderson and he had another good play early on. He sure didn't look fat to me and I think we'll see a lot more of that this year.

Derek Anderson can handle this job: The Panthers are slowly working Cam Newton into the starting lineup and they might be wise to let him recover into the regular season. We had Dr. A on the show last week and he said it would be best for Cam to continue his strength program and maybe miss the first game or two. If he tries to rush it back, Dr. A said he stands a bigger risk of re-injury during the season. Anderson could handle the load for a game or two, but you know that Cam will force his way into the starting lineup for Week 1. If he does, draft at your own risk because he's already dealing with a sore shoulder.

I'm heading to Lambeau Field tonight for Packers-Eagles and will report back. Feel free to post your own thoughts and sightings throughout the pre-season on this thread.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

chriseibl

Re: What Did We Learn From The Pre-Season Games?

Post by chriseibl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:11 pm

At the Bears game right now, I've learned that I wish Rex Grossman was our quarterback. I'm sure the packers game will be more fun than this.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:21 pm

chriseibl wrote:At the Bears game right now, I've learned that I wish Rex Grossman was our quarterback. I'm sure the packers game will be more fun than this.
You were at the Bears game and you mentioned nothing about Trubisky??? Nice sideline reporting, might want to stick to your day job! :)

That was most excited I've been for a Bears preseason, or heck, include regular season, for a long time. Watched all 4-Q and was on the edge of my seat until the final play. lol

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:
chriseibl wrote:At the Bears game right now, I've learned that I wish Rex Grossman was our quarterback. I'm sure the packers game will be more fun than this.
You were at the Bears game and you mentioned nothing about Trubisky??? Nice sideline reporting, might want to stick to your day job! :)

That was most excited I've been for a Bears preseason, or heck, include regular season, for a long time. Watched all 4-Q and was on the edge of my seat until the final play. lol
To be fair, I posted that while Mike Glennon was still in the game and we were turning to the Sanchize. Trubisky did look good, I'm highly skeptical because I hated the pick but he certainly impressed making quick decisions with the ball all night. I will happily say I was wrong if he keeps it up against better competition.

Might be hard for this group of receivers to make anyone look good.