Close, But No Winner YET For $1 Million Bonus

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:57 am

Our insurance company can rest easy for now as nobody won the $1 million bonus in the NBC Sports NFFC main events, but several owners were close and the promotion will return in 2009. Eleven owners had a shot at the $1 million bonus as they qualified in both Championship Rounds and as you'll see shortly a few other owners weren't that far off from almost winning it too.

Considering that we had 43 owners in the NFFC Primetime Championship Round and 48 in the NFFC Classic Championship Round, having 11 owners in both is a pretty sweet number. Having more than 20 percent of the owners in both Championship Rounds eligible for the $1 million bonus is a great total and a number we'd love to see again in 2009 and beyond.

Dave Gerczak of Appleton, Wisconsin came the closest to winning the $1 million bonus as he won the NFFC Primetime title and finished 10th overall in the NFFC Classic, finishing less than 30 points out of first place. Wow, great job Dave. Kyle Pope and Derek Anderson of Lumpy's Losers didn't have a shot at the $1 million bonus, but they won the NFFC Classic Consolation Round with the most points over the last four weeks in that competition and finished fourth in the NFFC Primetime Championship Round. Jeff Kratz also finished sixth in the NFFC Classic Championship Round and second in the NFFC Primetime Consolation Round, another strong finish from a player who just missed out on the shot at the $1 million bonus.

Here's a look at the 11 teams who were eligible for the $1 million bonus and how they fared in the Championship Rounds:

Dave Gerczak, Leroy's Aces: 1st in the NFFC Primetime Championship Round and winner of $100,000; 10th in the NFFC Classic Championship Round, just 29.45 points out of first place.

John Hogan, PhillyCheeseSteaks: 13th in NFFC Classic, 14th in NFFC Primetime.

Matthew Bayley, FROSTY: 8th in NFFC Classic, 20th in NFFC Primetime.

TJ Mailloux, Team Canada: 7th in NFFC Classic, 27th in NFFC Primetime.

Todd Ullman, Riverdog: 3rd in NFFC Classic, 35th in NFFC Primetime.

Danny Dietrick, Dirty Deeds: 14th in NFFC Classic, 39th in NFFC Primetime.

Jeff Dawson, Kapefear: 21st in NFFC Classic, 32nd in NFFC Primetime.

Glenn Karant, SNAKE: 26th in NFFC Classic, 36th in NFFC Primetime.

Eddie Gillis, Eddie's KingDOM: 30th in NFFC Classic, 23rd in NFFC Primetime.

Dan Thomas, Hammerheads: 31st in NFFC Classic, 29th in NFFC Primetime.

Dennis Cassicy, Sound Advice: 17th in NFFC Primetime, 44th in NFFC Classic.

Two other owners of note:
Kyle Pope/Derek Anderson, Lumpy's Losers: 1st in NFFC Consolation Round, 4th in NFFC Primetime Championship Round.

Jeff Kratz: 6th in NFFC Classic and 2nd in NFFC Primetime Consolation Round.

Congrats to all of you. You proved that it is possible for someone to compete and possibly win both main events and as a result the format will remain intact for 2009. Congrats again all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:59 am

John Hogan, PhillyCheeseSteaks: 13th in NFFC Classic, 14th in NFFC Primetime.

This was John's first year. :eek: Great season John see you next year.

John

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:02 am

Okay, if you have time this week, help me along on this thread. The cost of buying this insurance is very expensive and it's something that I definitely need to think through and justify for 2009. Here's where I need your feedback:

1) Is the $1 million bonus and the Combined Standings competition a worthy incentive for the two-event format going forward? Should it be continued again in 2009?

2) Do you think it is possible for someone to win both main events after seeing what happened in 2008? Since nobody won, I assume our rate won't change from the insurance company, but after competing in both events will many of you same competitors possibly try this format again next year? Either way, why or why not?

I love the Draft Day doubleheader, the 14-team and 12-team competitions, and even the bonus for winning both overall titles. But in tough times, every expense must be looked at and I need feedback from my valued members to make plans for 2009 before the end of January. Thanks all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Samlawyer

Post by Samlawyer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:47 am

My squad (Favre Beans) has got to be the closest team to money without collecting cash. We were in it down to the last week in both leagues and finished 11th in NFFC Consolation and 8th in NBC Consolation.

Go ahead. I dare someone to come closer without earning a dime. (Do I get a Plax Burress jersey for this feat?)

Leroy's Aces

Post by Leroy's Aces » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:08 am

If we had drafted DeAngelo Williams in the 5th round of the NFFC Classic instead of Ricky Williams...well...you know the rest.
'08 NFFC Primetime Champ

da bears

Post by da bears » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:19 am

Originally posted by Leroy's Aces:
If we had drafted DeAngelo Williams in the 5th round of the NFFC Classic instead of Ricky Williams...well...you know the rest. Great run anyways Dave. ;)

Who would have thought that Deangelo would have been the difference for so many championship teams this season.

20 total tds by Deangelo...wow!!!
Bauler Shot Caller

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:21 am

Greg,

there's ALOT of competition out there for the fantasy football dollar. I think it's important to keep the splash of a 1 million payout in the event. Sure it's a pipe dream but it's not impossible. Perchance to dream...it can be marketed and sold.

da bears

Post by da bears » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:27 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Okay, if you have time this week, help me along on this thread. The cost of buying this insurance is very expensive and it's something that I definitely need to think through and justify for 2009. Here's where I need your feedback:

1) Is the $1 million bonus and the Combined Standings competition a worthy incentive for the two-event format going forward? Should it be continued again in 2009?

2) Do you think it is possible for someone to win both main events after seeing what happened in 2008? Since nobody won, I assume our rate won't change from the insurance company, but after competing in both events will many of you same competitors possibly try this format again next year? Either way, why or why not?

I love the Draft Day doubleheader, the 14-team and 12-team competitions, and even the bonus for winning both overall titles. But in tough times, every expense must be looked at and I need feedback from my valued members to make plans for 2009 before the end of January. Thanks all. Yeah I definitely will try this again as it was a ton of fun to do two high stakes drafts on the same day.

The lure of the $1 million bonus is a big selling point and I also liked the combined standings competition. Its nice to see someone be able to win free entries into both contests for winning the combined standings title.

Anyways I'm already looking forward to next year...as it was tough to see fantasy football come to an end last night.

[ December 23, 2008, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: da bears ]
Bauler Shot Caller

renman

Post by renman » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:31 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

I love the Draft Day doubleheader, the 14-team and 12-team competitions, and even the bonus for winning both overall titles. But in tough times, every expense must be looked at and I need feedback from my valued members to make plans for 2009 before the end of January. Thanks all. Greg,

1- I think the million dollar prize is a nice marketing tool even though I know personally the chances of someone winning it are very slim. I would argue that we may go 10 years before we see someone come as close as Dave did this year.
I still think it is a worthy prize to promote.

2- As I said.. I think it is possible.. but requires a miracle... maybe happen once every 25 years? who knows...

3- I truly hope you keep the double header in place. I love the dual events. I like having special prized for combined results.

4- I would try to position (promotionally)the NFFC as the premier professional fantasy football event in America. I know there is no tangible way to prove that is the case but from a prestige realm, I think it fits, is a deserved title, and would be another strong marketing tool. Building on the history is important and will attract people who want to be part of it.