Wes Welker Available?!?!

The Franchise

Wes Welker Available?!?!

Post by The Franchise » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:26 am

Originally posted by Gekko:
LANCE LONG

“He’s a great slot receiver,” Cassel said. “He’s got tremendous quickness, he gets in and out of his breaks well, he catches the ball, he’s a tough guy – he’s not afraid to lay in a block on a linebacker or a safety. He’s a great player and he’s been helping us, there’s no doubt about that.”

“You know, he’s got a similar mentality in that he’s a bulldog,” Cassel remarked with comparing Long’s attributes with Welker’s. “He just goes out there and he works hard. Like I said, he’s a guy that you really do want to see in the slot in terms of his quickness and how he goes about his business. There are definitely some resemblances between Welker and Lance.” Mark, you seem to take great pride in identifying a potential breakout player before anyone else starts to take notice. Some guys will call it misdirection.......Possibly? But, I couldn't help it think the same thing while watching that game. Now let me clarify, I think he looks similar to Welker, but in no way am I advocating that he will have the same production or impact as a Welker and that is why he is not anyone of my teams. On really bad teams these guys seem to be a "flash in the pan" type of players because they don't have the talent around them to sustain that production and continue to show their talent.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Sandman62

Wes Welker Available?!?!

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:30 am

Thanks for further clarifying my point Pats.

Raiders

Wes Welker Available?!?!

Post by Raiders » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:51 am

Originally posted by Pats_12:
quote:Originally posted by Gekko:
LANCE LONG

“He’s a great slot receiver,” Cassel said. “He’s got tremendous quickness, he gets in and out of his breaks well, he catches the ball, he’s a tough guy – he’s not afraid to lay in a block on a linebacker or a safety. He’s a great player and he’s been helping us, there’s no doubt about that.”

“You know, he’s got a similar mentality in that he’s a bulldog,” Cassel remarked with comparing Long’s attributes with Welker’s. “He just goes out there and he works hard. Like I said, he’s a guy that you really do want to see in the slot in terms of his quickness and how he goes about his business. There are definitely some resemblances between Welker and Lance.” Mark, you seem to take great pride in identifying a potential breakout player before anyone else starts to take notice. Some guys will call it misdirection.......Possibly? But, I couldn't help it think the same thing while watching that game. Now let me clarify, I think he looks similar to Welker, but in no way am I advocating that he will have the same production or impact as a Welker and that is why he is not anyone of my teams. On really bad teams these guys seem to be a "flash in the pan" type of players because they don't have the talent around them to sustain that production and continue to show their talent.
[/QUOTE]I think we all look for that 'breakout player'. If you hit your gold, if your wrong you drop that guy that you pickup for a couple of bucks and move to the next one. Every year there seems to be a Wr and Rb that comes out of no were to be that guy.

Wade being a healthy scratch and Long getting all those targets is a alarming. A couple of weeks back Long caught a TD pass that was called back, so I to had him as a maybe 'breakout player'.

I'm starting to think Fantasy Football is like Playing Battleship we take are shots and we will hit some and miss many more, but it's the hits that we brag about and remember and the misses are part of the game. :D

I will take Marc's word on a player over any one else. :D I'm still waiting on one guy he told me about, but that's OK. Again You can't be correct on every dark horse play. ;)

John

PS. I do have Long on one of my teams. :D

King of Queens

Wes Welker Available?!?!

Post by King of Queens » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:01 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
I'm starting to think Fantasy Football is like Playing Battleship we take are shots and we will hit some and miss many more, but it's the hits that we brag about and remember and the misses are part of the game. :D
Dungeons and Dragons? ;)

Gordon Gekko II

Wes Welker Available?!?!

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:03 am

Originally posted by Pats_12:
Mark, you seem to take great pride in identifying a potential breakout player before anyone else starts to take notice. Some guys will call it misdirection.......Possibly? But, I couldn't help it think the same thing while watching that game. Now let me clarify, I think he looks similar to Welker, but in no way am I advocating that he will have the same production or impact as a Welker and that is why he is not anyone of my teams. On really bad teams these guys seem to be a "flash in the pan" type of players because they don't have the talent around them to sustain that production and continue to show their talent. this is what i do in baseball. andrew mccutchen was my #1 rated minor leaguer entering 2009. i locked him up late (25th round) on most of my teams and bid heavy where i could to acquire him (in leagues i didn't draft/buy him). now in 2010, he's a 7th rounder.

it's all about finding the next big thing. if i miss on him, no big deal becuse i didn't invest a high pick.

same goes for Long. do i think he is gonna be a top 30 WR from here on out. not likely. but given the crap that has been available on the waiver wire in my 14 team league (no austin, no sims-waler, not collie, no garcon), there's not much else out there. given the FACT that Long has received 38% of cassell's throws when he is on the field, he's gotta be worth a shot.

Raiders

Wes Welker Available?!?!

Post by Raiders » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:08 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Raiders:
Dungeons and Dragons? ;)
[/QUOTE]:D

Coltsfan

Wes Welker Available?!?!

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:12 am

Can anyone name one "slam dunk" pickup from the waiver wire this year?

There just hasn't been one. We take shots at players that might have some upside and hope for the best. I took shots from people for bidding $800 on Manningham in the wcoff but he has played for me a couple of games and put up some nice points. There may not be a "Lance Moore" this year so we can either spend our money on kickers and defenses, take an educated guess at somebody who had a good game, or sit on our money and save it for later. If I see a guy on a pass happy offense getting a ton of targets then I feel he is worth a shot. (This isn't real money we are bidding with.) But the bottom line is that there probably won't be a sure thing this year so if you sit back waiting for that then you miss out on all of the potential upside guys this year.

Wayne

BillyWaz

Wes Welker Available?!?!

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:18 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
quote:Originally posted by Pats_12:
quote:Originally posted by Gekko:
LANCE LONG

[/QUOTE]I'm starting to think Fantasy Football is like Playing Battleship we take are shots and we will hit some and miss many more, but it's the hits that we brag about and remember and the misses are part of the game. :D
[/QUOTE]That is pretty much it, John.

We ALL throw darts at the board hoping someone sticks. Mark is right, that if he (Long or anyone for that matter) pans out, then what a great find. If he doesn't....oh well.

This year has proven to be one of the most scarce on the waiver wire in recent memory. Some will say it is because of the 19 man rosters, but 12 team leagues are just as barren with literally no talent available.

I bid on Long in a few leagues, but didn't get him (not sure why in one? :confused: - not NFFC). Maybe he will be fantastic, maybe not. I don't think I would play him this week against Oakland though, as a heavy dose of Charles, Savage, and Kolby is on the menu. :D

rkulaski

Wes Welker Available?!?!

Post by rkulaski » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:45 am

Long coming up short today. Couldn't resist the line.

Gordon Gekko II

Wes Welker Available?!?!

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:19 pm

Originally posted by rkulaski:
Long coming up short today. Couldn't resist the line. ya, not what i had in mind. same goes for eddie royal or vincent jackson owners i would guess ;)