Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:15 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Dyv, I thought perhaps your keyboard got stuuuck on the 7 key for the Bettis bid. lol, are you suggesting I randomly choose a number and smash it into the bid system? Hmmm... you could be close there...

Seriously - nobody else in Gekko bid a decent amount on Bettis? I find it hard to imagine we didn't have 3-4 $500 bids on him.

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:26 pm

What did I miss on Bettis? Why the big bids? Staley looked as good as he ever has last week and Hayes seems to be getting the backup touches?
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:56 pm

Originally posted by Dyv:
quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Dyv, I thought perhaps your keyboard got stuuuck on the 7 key for the Bettis bid. lol, are you suggesting I randomly choose a number and smash it into the bid system? Hmmm... you could be close there...

Seriously - nobody else in Gekko bid a decent amount on Bettis? I find it hard to imagine we didn't have 3-4 $500 bids on him.

Dave
[/QUOTE]I would've guessed max $100-150, maybe even less ... but I could easily be wrong. To me, it was a bit shocking as a multiple-lge Duce owner, had to check to see that he didn't break something.

Now I really wonder which way you're gonna go for the mid-season bid, my guess is: a) over $990 to ensure a good spot; or b) $0 so you can save it all to bid on the Bus when he gets dropped after a few more weeks and another 3 yards

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:58 pm

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
This is Week 4. Perhaps, as somebody already posted, I should wait so I could spend 400 on a bye week kicker?

I have (arguably), the best WR group in the league. I have Harrison, Holt, Moulds, Branch(inj) and Glenn. As backups for bye week or injury problems I have Karl Williams (14 pts last week) and Bobby Wade (13 pts last week).

My QBs are solid with a QBBC team of Plummer and Green.

Obviously when you draft depth at WR, your RBs suck. My only starter, in the NFL sense, is Wheatley. Would you suggest that I continue to start FBs or backups as my RB2 or take a shot that Henry becomes a legit starter. If Henry gives me 10-12 points a game I will be competitive every week (except week 10 when both are on bye).

So, bottom line, I have nothing to lose. If Henry works out, I could move up in the standings. If he doesn't, I wasn't going to have a chance anyway.

As to the amount, with 4 weeks gone I have no time to take a chance on being outbid. Liquid's team also needed a RB, having a similar situation to mine. It was time to go for it and I did.

I'm just happy to win the guy. I would argue that our WR stable is better than yours and stats will prove it at end of season.

BTW - our first choice was Alstott so I can't complain :D
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:17 pm

quote:Originally posted by Dyv:
quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Dave
[/QUOTE]I would've guessed max $100-150, maybe even less ... but I could easily be wrong. To me, it was a bit shocking as a multiple-lge Duce owner, had to check to see that he didn't break something.

Now I really wonder which way you're gonna go for the mid-season bid, my guess is: a) over $990 to ensure a good spot; or b) $0 so you can save it all to bid on the Bus when he gets dropped after a few more weeks and another 3 yards
[/QUOTE]I bid low on spots - I'll take whatever I can get.

Dyv

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:56 pm

Dyv, the more I think about the slot bid idea, the more I like it ... not sure if that was you or GG, but good idea! I also think it's simple enough that it shouldn't scare anyone off ... count me on board for trying to convince Greg/Tom to implement it next yr.

... hoping we can get all the bids in tomorrow so we have a few days to strategize on draft position too

[ October 01, 2004, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:21 am

Dyv, the more I think about the slot bid idea, the more I like it ... not sure if that was you or GG, but good idea! I also think it's simple enough that it shouldn't scare anyone off ... count me on board for trying to convince Greg/Tom to implement it next yr.It was a Gekko Exclusive. Not bad huh? I first pitched it to my people, and they loved it. I pitched it to Greg a few months ago, and he really didn't give me an definitive indication. So I decided to throw it to the MB for review. There are really no downsides other than people who just don't like to change, no matter what the change is.

I understand there are some concerns with trying to implement this so it's simple enough. If owners can process FA bidding, they can process draft slot bidding. I could come up with 2-3 examples that could be linked to from the NFFC website, which would show how to submit bids and how they are evaluated.

I think it's a great idea, and I'm a little curious why this wasn't thought of before. From what has been posted on the MB, we have people who have run fantasy leagues for many years, gamers with many years of experience, etc... and then there is Gekko. I've got a couple other *innovative* ideas I'm working on to benefit KP/NFFC owners. They are still in the infancy stage, so they are still being worked on. Maybe Gekko should get in the business of high stakes fantasy events? I'd have to hire someone else to work the customer service end though.

[ October 02, 2004, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:58 am

Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
quote:Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
This is Week 4. Perhaps, as somebody already posted, I should wait so I could spend 400 on a bye week kicker?

I have (arguably), the best WR group in the league. I have Harrison, Holt, Moulds, Branch(inj) and Glenn. As backups for bye week or injury problems I have Karl Williams (14 pts last week) and Bobby Wade (13 pts last week).

My QBs are solid with a QBBC team of Plummer and Green.

Obviously when you draft depth at WR, your RBs suck. My only starter, in the NFL sense, is Wheatley. Would you suggest that I continue to start FBs or backups as my RB2 or take a shot that Henry becomes a legit starter. If Henry gives me 10-12 points a game I will be competitive every week (except week 10 when both are on bye).

So, bottom line, I have nothing to lose. If Henry works out, I could move up in the standings. If he doesn't, I wasn't going to have a chance anyway.

As to the amount, with 4 weeks gone I have no time to take a chance on being outbid. Liquid's team also needed a RB, having a similar situation to mine. It was time to go for it and I did.

I'm just happy to win the guy. I would argue that our WR stable is better than yours and stats will prove it at end of season.

BTW - our first choice was Alstott so I can't complain :D
[/QUOTE]WOW.... this sounds like a challenge!

Holt, Harrison, Moulds, & Branch (or another)

.VS.

Ward, C.Johnson, A.Johnson, & Porter

The two of you do have GREAT WR's! I am actually very pleased with Horn and Roy Williams. Now if K-Rob can get his head out of his a$$ or Caldwell is a consistent 15 per week, my WR's may actually be able to play in "yall's neighborhood"too! (And maybe Boldin will come back in "good form" which would really help out!) :D

As far as Alstott and Bettis, it is a toss-up IMO. Pittman is going to be carrying the rock (ala Duce), so the only contributions either will probably make will be at the goal line "occasionally".

[ October 02, 2004, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:23 am

Yep, purely a Gekko exclusive on the concept here. He shared it with me a month or so ago and I thought it was cool then. It hit main stream and Dorkknockers was basically at the same time talking about a midseason league... and I'm the type to grab the ball and run with it. So, GG and I traded a few thoughts and here it is... rolled out and enjoyable to play .

Personally, I think the key to making this simple is exactly in tune with what the FA bidding system is... put it on the website with explanation so each owner can login and 'bid' for their spots. The system could be laid out so as to be painfully obvious and handle the re-ordering itself, etc.

Kudos to Gordon for the fun idea.

Dave

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:40 am

Originally posted by Dyv:
I'm the type to grab the ball and run with it. So, GG and I traded a few thoughts and here it is... rolled out and enjoyable to play. You are a go-getter Dave. I really haven't seen anyone with the dedication that you exhibit, except KP :D . Really a man amongst boys in that regard. It's been a pleasure working with you.

Basically you and a few others have chimed in with some of the details, i.e. leagues can't be announced before bidding takes place, award top bid amount first instead of seeing who had the highest bid for draft slot #1, and so on... so, thanks for all the interesting thoughts and ideas. i'll be posting something more finalized in a few weeks.

[ October 02, 2004, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?