Week 14 Thoughts & Observations

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:32 am

Here are some random thoughts and observations about Week 14 as I continue to be amazed at the magic that is Tim Tebow:

What more can be said about Tebow at this point? Anyone still doubting him is clearly in denial. He's proven to be matchup proof and as I wrote a few weeks ago, he's been one of the most reliably consistent fantasy QBs around outside of the elite options. Every week we hear this is the week Tebow falters or this is the defense which finally shuts him down. So far, nobody has shut him down for an entire game. He keeps on elevating his play in crunch time and the Broncos keep on winning. I'll say it once again - he's a legit MVP candidate. He's doing everything you want a big-time QB to do - making critical plays with the game on the line. Combine that with a great running game and a stout defense and is there anybody who really wants to face the Broncos in the playoffs?

It was funny listening to some of the Bears defensive players go out of their way to avoid praising Tebow. Brian Urlacher even called him a running back. Hey Brian, not sure how to tell you this but that "running back" dropped 163 yards and a TD on you ... in the fourth quarter. Accept your loss with some humility and class, guys. That's what Tebow would do. :D

When Marion Barber looks back on his career, something tells me Dec. 11, 2011 won't be a day he remembers fondly.

While nobody wants to face the Tebows in the playoffs, is there an offense that isn't licking its chops at the prospect of facing New England? Sure, your defense has to deal with Tom Brady but the Patriots are an absolute sieve on defense. You know things are bad when fifth-string wide receivers are throwing TD bombs against you. If there's anyone who professes to have even the slightest amount of faith in the Patriots' defense at this point, you're either a blind homer or delusional.

Or both.

Speaking of the Patriots and the Tebows, guess who squares off against one another in Week 15? That could be the game of the season and if you're a Tebow owner you can't wait for him to get a shot at that woeful New England defense. Oh, did I mention Brady is 1-7 in his career against the Broncos?

If Tebow beats Brady, the Internet may explode.

I can't wait.

Speaking of playoff teams with massive flaws, did you see how impressive Alex Smith was against the Cardinals? And by impressive I mean not so much. All Smith needed to do was lead the 49ers into the Red Zone once in the second half against Arizona and San Francisco likely wins the game. Just one Red Zone drive. That's it. But as was the case against the Ravens, Smith couldn't get it done. He failed to make big plays downfield and when his team needed him to step up and win the game, he faltered. As good as San Francisco is defensively and running the ball, they need their QB to make plays if they want to beat the likes of Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. Is there anyone who honestly believes Smith can do it?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Fun with numbers: No team has scored fewer touchdowns in the Red Zone than the 49ers. That's why David Akers has become one of this season's best free-agent acquisitions and why I love him on my fantasy teams.

When you throw the ball to Larry Fitzgerald, good things often happen. Why has something so easy to figure out been so difficult for the Cardinals to grasp this season?

I'm sure Kevin Kolb is a nice guy and is really nice to kids and old people but as a Fitzgerald owner I'd just as soon he shut it down for the rest of the season. I don't care how wild and erratic John Skelton can be, at least he isn't afraid to put his trust in a future Hall of Famer.

By the way, in case you hadn't noticed, the Cardinals have won five of their last six games and are on the cusp of playoff contention. They're actually one of the hottest teams in the league right now. Go figure.

Dear Beanie Wells - you will now return to fantasy starting lineups in Week 15 now that the horror of facing the 49ers is behind you.

In years to come it will be referred to as The Great Jimmy Graham Panic Of 2011. For about 20 minutes yesterday prior to game time, Graham owners were losing their minds. Graham wasn't on the field for pre-game warmups and there were no concrete reports about whether he was gong to play or not. The first report about his status came on Twitter at 12:57 EST - about two minutes after most people had to set their lineups - saying he was warming up, catching passes and was going to play. It's likely a lot of people put Graham on their bench because of all the uncertainty. As I Tweeted, though, unless you had Rob Gronkowski you had to start Graham. It was a risk worth taking given what a stud he's been. Graham did play and did OK considering he clearly was laboring with a back injury. But for about 20 minutes on Sunday, I thought Twitter was going to explode with people unsure about whether one of this year's fantasy superstars was going to play or not.

Speaking of Graham, if you're steamed that you lost 7+ points for him you have every right to be. His non-TD catch was one of the worst calls I've seen all season. According to the officials, having two feet (and one knee) down in bounds and with control of the ball isn't a catch. Got it. Great work guys.

The NFL is the greatest sport in the world, but when your fans have no idea if the most important element of the game (a touchdown) occurred, perhaps it's time to think about pulling back on things and making things a little simpler. Just a thought, Roger.

Heckuva game playing hurt, Nate Washington.

The Saints definitely are a different team on the road and they didn't look like their high-flying selves at Tennessee. But despite that Drew Brees still should have thrown four TDs on Sunday against the Titans. Not only was he robbed of the Graham TD catch but Lance Moore didn't come up with a catchable ball in the end zone. So on a day when the Saints weren't playing with a lot of zip, Brees still finished with 337 yards and two TDs and he should've had four.

Yeah, he's pretty good.

Right now, the only thing that's going to stop the Packers are major injuries. They got a big one this week with the loss of Greg Jennings. Fortunately, the Packers are deeeeeeeeeeep at wide receiver and I think they can offset Jennings' loss even if it's for the remainder of the season. But other than injuries, it's difficult to see what is going to derail this unbeaten freight train - especially if Ryan Grant keeps thinking it's 2009 again.

More fun with numbers: Mike McCarthy has coached 100 games for the Packers and is now 66-34. Mike Holmgren also was 66-34 in his first 100 games. Vince Lombardi was 73-24-3 and Curly Lambeau was 62-25-13. That's good company you're with, Mike.

Brandon Saine meet Taiwan Jones. Taiwan Jones meet Brandon Saine.

Ryan Taylor and Dennis Pitta combined for two TD receptions on Sunday. Graham and Jermichael Finley combined for zero. Just like everyone predicted.

As great as the Packers' receiving corps is, I think the Cowboys are better with the addition of Laurent Robinson. The Rams have to be kicking themselves for letting him go. I said a couple of weeks ago that Robinson owners had to keep starting him even if Miles Austin was healthy. We saw why on Sunday night.

I've always thought the icing the kicker timeout was one of the most idiotic things in the NFL. I still do. I'm guessing Dan Bailey would agree with me.

Jacob Tamme did little as a starter the last two weeks and moved back to fantasy benches with Dallas Clark back in the starting lineup on Sunday. So of course Tamme scored against the Ravens.

It happened at the worst possible time for his fantasy owners but Matt Moore suddenly remembered he was Matt Moore in Week 14. Before he got hurt he looked awful against the Eagles. Panther fans finally recognized the guy playing quarterback for the Dolphins.

Every once in awhile, the Panthers remember DeAngelo Williams is still a pretty good running back. The problem is there's no way to know when that light bulb is going to go on.

So I'm watching T.J. Yates on Sunday and I was very impressed with how he played. The one thought I kept having throughout the game was - how was this guy behind Matt Leinart on the depth chart? Seriously.

You gave it a good shot Cincinnati but it's over for this season. On the bright side, you can sit back and giggle at the Raiders for giving up such an insane amount to acquire Carson Palmer.

Yeah, Oakland you massively overpaid for Palmer. That was obvious the day was trade was made and it's really obvious now. Way to mortgage the future for an aging quarterback whose game was in decline for the past few years. Brilliant move.

Good to hear Mike Smith is doing OK after a scary chest pains incident after Sunday's win over the Panthers.

Anybody else take Maurice Jones-Drew with a Top 10 pick this year and feeling really good about it? What a season he's having and he absolutely torched the Bucs on Sunday. It's scary to think what MJD could do if defenses weren't putting 11 in the box to stop him. He's clearly back to being a fantasy stud and has forcing his way into the conversation of Top 5 picks for 2012.

The Jaguars were starting Greg and my dead grandmother at cornerback on Sunday and Josh Freeman still couldn't reach 185 yards passing and failed to throw a touchdown pass. That was an embarrassing performance. Strike that, it was pitiful. OK, pitiful and embarrassing.

Joe Webb had 68 more rushing yards on Sunday than Arian Foster. He had eight fewer yards than Foster and Michael Turner had combined. Yup, I'm sure everyone saw that coming.

Not so fun with numbers: Of the Top 10 RBs in average points per game, six have suffered major injuries, two are done for the season and a third (Matt Forte) is probably done too. Go ahead and tell me the lockout didn't have an impact. I dare ya.

All those injuries likely put Ryan Grant in some starting lineups this week. And now Felix Jones will be starting in a lot of leagues too with DeMarco Murray done for the year. Week 15 and teams will be relying on guys like Grant, Jones and Barber. Tell me this isn't a game of attrition.

I don't want to make light of concussions but what's going on in Cleveland this season? Is there something in the water down there? They've had a crazy number of concussions this season.

LeSean McCoy averaged a little more than one yard per carry Sunday but still had a huge fantasy day because he scored two touchdowns. I love fantasy football.

I don't know much but I do know that if you have a fantasy defense playing the Chiefs you start them. Don't think about it. Just do it.

Hey look, the Chargers are trying to do one of those late-season winning streaks out of nowhere again. Unfortunately, they need to win out and have the Tebows lose out in order for them to make the playoffs. Ain't gonna happen.

Roy Helu has three straight 100-yard games. Can someone tell me why Mike Shanahan kept this kid buried on his bench for so long?

And lastly, I hope you don't blink watching tonight's thrilling showdown between the Seahawks and Rams cuz it'll be done before "Two Broke Girls" is over.

[ December 12, 2011, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:37 am

Tony Romo missing a wide open Miles Austin will go down as the biggest play of the season for the Dallas Cowboys. Blame it on the kicker or the defense or the coach. Tony Romo could have sealed this game with a throw that my kid could have made, but cracked under pressure... sound familiar? Can anyone say Peyton Manning?

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:51 am

Originally posted by Al R G:
Tony Romo missing a wide open Miles Austin will go down as the biggest play of the season for the Dallas Cowboys. Blame it on the kicker or the defense or the coach. Tony Romo could have sealed this game with a throw that my kid could have made, but cracked under pressure... sound familiar? Can anyone say Peyton Manning? Romo has had his struggles late in games but I think it's hard to put last night's loss on him. The guy played a great game, 321 with four scores. That was a horrible throw but I also thought it was a bad effort by Austin. He didn't even attempt to lay out for the ball.

There were a number of things you could point to. For example,Terrance Newman dropped a sure pick six early in the game when he jumped a route. That surely would have helped.

I also don't think Romo cracked under the pressure. He engineered a nice drive and made a couple nice throws that got his team in position to win the game at the end. Ironic that it once again came down to a FG and a timeout situation.
Go Big Red!

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:23 am

Originally posted by CoMoHusker:
quote:Originally posted by Al R G:
Tony Romo missing a wide open Miles Austin will go down as the biggest play of the season for the Dallas Cowboys. Blame it on the kicker or the defense or the coach. Tony Romo could have sealed this game with a throw that my kid could have made, but cracked under pressure... sound familiar? Can anyone say Peyton Manning? Romo has had his struggles late in games but I think it's hard to put last night's loss on him. The guy played a great game, 321 with four scores. That was a horrible throw but I also thought it was a bad effort by Austin. He didn't even attempt to lay out for the ball.

There were a number of things you could point to. For example,Terrance Newman dropped a sure pick six early in the game when he jumped a route. That surely would have helped.

I also don't think Romo cracked under the pressure. He engineered a nice drive and made a couple nice throws that got his team in position to win the game at the end. Ironic that it once again came down to a FG and a timeout situation.
[/QUOTE]Unlike players like Eli and Peyton and Rodgers and Brees and even Mark Sanchez (Yes, Mark Sanchez), Romo cracks under pressure and gets worse as the game goes on. Sure last nights stats look pretty good, but his receivers were wide open all night, yet when he had to make a throw, he blew it in the 4th quarter. Nothing new. Even Mark Sanchez, as bad as he looks, comes through when it counts in the 4th quarter and the playoffs. Blame everyone else if you want, Romo is not a big game QB and will never be.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:36 am

If the Cowboys don't ice Bailey last week and if Bailey makes his FG after being iced again last night by the Giants, Romo's track record in the clutch looks a lot better. He'd be viewed as the QB who rallied the Cowboys to back-to-back wins. I agree the throw to Austin is one Romo needs to make better but it's hard for me to blame him for the last two defeats. If anything, I'd blame him for not calling a timeout after the Bryant completion last week. Even if Garrett had no idea what to do at that moment, Romo should have. Somebody needed to have a clear head there.

[ December 12, 2011, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:03 am

The 49ers "Are who we thought they are!!!"

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:07 am

Originally posted by DOOMSDAY:
The 49ers "Are who we thought they are!!!" I think it's been an impressive first season with Harbaugh. The Niners have significantly improved. But I'm not sure in this day and age you can win a Super Bowl with a game manager at QB. And I'm really skeptical you can do it in the NFC when you'll have to go through guys like Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees and maybe Eli Manning too.

At some point, your QB has to show he can make big plays. Smith failed miserably against the Ravens in a playoff-type game. If you want to excuse him for that because of how effective Baltimore's pass rush was, then how do you explain failing against Arizona too in similar fashion?

Again, all Smith had to do in those two games was lead one drive to about the opposition 35-yard-line to give Akers a shot. He couldn't even do that.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:16 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
quote:Originally posted by DOOMSDAY:
The 49ers "Are who we thought they are!!!" But I'm not sure in this day and age you can win a Super Bowl with a game manager at QB.[/QUOTE]I bet Tebow can! He is the lizard king.....he can do ANY THING!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:21 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
quote:Originally posted by DOOMSDAY:
The 49ers "Are who we thought they are!!!" But I'm not sure in this day and age you can win a Super Bowl with a game manager at QB.[/QUOTE]I bet Tebow can! He is the lizard king.....he can do ANY THING!
[/QUOTE]But in crunch time Tebow isn't a game manager, though. He's making big plays in the passing game. He's also shown the ability to make plays as a runner. I don't think Tebow qualifies as a game manager when the game is on the line. That's when he turns it loose.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:49 am

Originally posted by Al R G:
quote:Originally posted by CoMoHusker:
quote:Originally posted by Al R G:

[/QUOTE]Unlike players like Eli and Peyton and Rodgers and Brees and even Mark Sanchez (Yes, Mark Sanchez), Romo cracks under pressure and gets worse as the game goes on. Sure last nights stats look pretty good, but his receivers were wide open all night, yet when he had to make a throw, he blew it in the 4th quarter. Nothing new. Even Mark Sanchez, as bad as he looks, comes through when it counts in the 4th quarter and the playoffs. Blame everyone else if you want, Romo is not a big game QB and will never be.
[/QUOTE]I will give you Rodgers, Brees, and Peyton. You did forget about a cool cat named Brady. Eli has proved to be in that class this year, especially in the 4th quarter. There is no way that I throw Mark Sanchez in that group. I would take Romo over that guy everytime, without question.

Great players can make bad mistakes. They're human. Brady throws a pick in the end zone late yesterday when a FG ices that game for them. I assume that he didn't crack under the pressure of that moment, he just made a bad read.

I'm not saying Romo is in that class. I just don't think that loss falls on him last night.

[ December 12, 2011, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: CoMoHusker ]
Go Big Red!