New software, leading to drastic rules changes costs team dearly

Cocktails and Dreams

New software, leading to drastic rules changes costs team dearly

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:18 pm

In every year I have ever played at the NFFC you were able to not start a position if you wanted not to. For example you have 1qb and he is playing Thursday. Thursday rolls around you want to get a different qb on Friday instead of playing him. You could do that by benching him and leaving qb spot open. If you didn't address it, you took a zero. Well, they didn't think of this when developing the new software so all of a sudden the season gets here and we have a new set of rules, even though they weren't listed in the rules. This year you were forced to play that qb. Couldn't have an open spot on roster for some reason. Competition allows it as it should. You want to take a zero, that is your right.

So here we are entering Monday night the last week. I am in 4th in points. No shot of getting up to 3rd. However, I have a shot to have clean best record if John Rozek loses his match. Who is he playing? The team that is third in points, Michael Edelman and Scott Kaplans shared team. They have Jordan Reed and trail in their match by 5.3. So in a bizarre twist, they need to lose their match to make the playoffs, and I need them to win it to make it. They should be able to bench Jordan Reed. Software was never fixed to allow this like years past, just new rules made up on the fly. That is really really bad in my opinion. Hopefully this is addressed for next year, and if not at least make the faulty new rules clear in the rules.

Route C

Re: New software, leading to drastic rules changes costs team dearly

Post by Route C » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Wow. So less than 1 point knocked them out because they had to start Reed. So much for strategic moves making us good players. Luck vs skill here? I don't think we need to debate that now do we!
Tough break for Edelman.

ChiTwn

Post by ChiTwn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:18 pm
In every year I have ever played at the NFFC you were able to not start a position if you wanted not to......

Hopefully this is addressed for next year, and if not at least make the faulty new rules clear in the rules.
+1

This definitely needs to be addressed for next year. Only a matter of time something like this comes into play for your team. Or imagine a platinum league being affected by this.

After all year of making moves, to be booted out of playoffs in this fashion would be devastating.

Route C

Post by Route C » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 pm

This is a different rule but I'd love to be able to drop players on Friday FAAB that have played on Thursday. Other than the software capability I'm not sure why we don't do it. Owners who are active on Friday FAAB don't need a lengthy discussion here as to why this needs to happen. Obviously that player couldnt be in your lineup that week.

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:46 am

I don’t believe I ever tried to take a zero by leaving a starting lineup position unfilled using the old software, so i’ll Take your word that was possible. Assuming that is correct, I would be upset if that functionality didn’t exist with the new software.

With that said, if I was in the position Edelman was and knew there was a possibility on Friday that I may need to lose my H2H matchup to make the playoffs, I would have considered potentially wasting a roster spot to pick up a “Jeremy Spinkle”, TE for Redskins. Spinkle could be subbed in for their last player playing (Reed) should the exact scenario as you described came about and zero points out of the TE position was needed. Lame way of reaching the playoffs; however we see what the alternative was (missing the playoffs)

hammer

Post by hammer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:33 pm

Route C wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 pm
This is a different rule but I'd love to be able to drop players on Friday FAAB that have played on Thursday. Other than the software capability I'm not sure why we don't do it. Owners who are active on Friday FAAB don't need a lengthy discussion here as to why this needs to happen. Obviously that player couldnt be in your lineup that week.

Agree 100%

This has been talked about but not accomplished. Please change this going forward

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:33 pm

Don Draper wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:46 am
I don’t believe I ever tried to take a zero by leaving a starting lineup position unfilled using the old software, so i’ll Take your word that was possible. Assuming that is correct, I would be upset if that functionality didn’t exist with the new software.

With that said, if I was in the position Edelman was and knew there was a possibility on Friday that I may need to lose my H2H matchup to make the playoffs, I would have considered potentially wasting a roster spot to pick up a “Jeremy Spinkle”, TE for Redskins. Spinkle could be subbed in for their last player playing (Reed) should the exact scenario as you described came about and zero points out of the TE position was needed. Lame way of reaching the playoffs; however we see what the alternative was (missing the playoffs)
If he didn't know you could no longer do it, there would be no reason to do that however. And still long odds of it playing out this way, which may not be worth the valuable roster spot, although in classic there probably is a reasonable drop.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:35 pm

Route C wrote:
Beating a dead horse here. For some reason, they do not want to allow for roster flexibility their competitors all offer.

TR

Post by TR » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Route C wrote:
Already had this discussion last year on the boards, their reasons are pretty valid

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:47 am

Route C wrote:
Jeff, so the reason we don't allow players from the Thursday game to be dropped is that it gives owners additional players for that week to evaluate and possibly start. In other words, if you decide to keep a player on your roster for the Thursday Night Game, don't start him and then he gets hurt it allows you to see how he played, cut him and add another player to your roster for that week, basically giving you 21 rostered players for that week.

Now we can debate whether that reasoning is correct or not -- and I know we have in the past -- but that's our reasoning for not allowing Thursday cuts. I'm not even sure if it's a software ability or not (when we were with STATS that is), but I know we didn't want to give owners more players than others during a given week. If you really wanted to cut that player without getting a free look at him during the Thursday game, you definitely could have done that during the Wednesday FAAB period. So the Thursday game gave you a free look that others who don't have players in that Thursday Night Game didn't have.

Again, right or wrong -- and we can discuss it -- that's the reasoning.

Now there is one aspect of the Thursday Night Game that we should look at for a possible change. That is allowing you to bench any player and leaving a starting roster spot open if you have only one player at that position. Currently, we asked the software to be designed so that you needed a legal lineup at all times. Unfortunately, we didn't realize that if you had only one TE on your roster and that TE was playing on Thursday Night that you couldn't bench him and pick up a new TE on Friday during FAAB. It didn't occur to us that someone would wait until the second FAAB period to make that critical decision, but it happened. The software isn't set up to ASSUME that you'll have a legal lineup after Friday's FAAB, so it would keep your only TE in the starting lineup and score those points with no other option.

We will discuss this aspect going forward.

And why do we demand a legal lineup in football, when there is no (apparent) advantage with getting zeroes from any spot? I'll explain that next.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius