Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:25 pm

I agree with everything Wayne said too.

bald is beautiful

Re: NFFC Rules Changes Proposed For 2021; Let's Discuss

Post by bald is beautiful » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:38 pm

kjduke wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:25 pm
Phew!! NOW Greg may actually listen to the overwhelming suggestion to eliminate the 4th place $ in private leagues.

TR

Post by TR » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:55 pm

The 10 roster spots and 20 total spots are the right mix, we think. Drafting Tight Ends is like drafting Catchers in baseball; there's a lot of strategy in whether Kelce is worth a second round pick or if just waiting for Evan Engram to bust out makes more sense. I have been intrigued about a second Flex spot (not Super Flex involving QB, Double Flex) and whether there's a way to work that in as the third WR spot or as an additional spot (start 11 per week?). I wouldn't mind having that discussion.

Id be all for a second flex spot as either the third WR or an additional 11th spot

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:23 pm

First of all you guys did a tremendous job this year. You stuck to the rules and did not change them on the fly. The only extra change I would love to see is to eliminate consolation prizes in stand alone leagues. Give it to the 4th place playoff team as you can get a scenario in which you end up second in points having a great year and end up in fourth place in the playoffs and get nothing as it stands right now. Paying the 5th place team and not paying the 4th place team has always seemed wrong to me. Other than that you guys again did a great job.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:36 pm

The “COVID” changes should remain permanent for 2021 and beyond. Just fix the Team Kicker so that the “Free Agent” link on player profile is there as it is for every other position and TDST.

Something to consider: I believe that the NFL will soon incorporate regular Tuesday and Wednesday games into their schedule. The idea would be to get as many games in unique time slots as possible. The fallout of this is that NFL weeks would regularly end on Wednesday and begin on Thursday. I suppose you would have to move the first FAAB deadline to Thursday afternoon — not ideal, but not sure how else you would handle it.

packman527

Post by packman527 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:00 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:31 pm

I don't see us getting rid of the TE spot or the K spot or combining the third WR spot. I also don't think we'd change any of our current contests to a SuperFlex contest. Could we ADD a SuperFlex contest? Of course we could and it's an easy addition in the programming for us that we could do right now. All of the Fanball contests are SuperFlex now. But is there enough demand for a national SuperFlex contest when we already have like six national contests? Maybe we could start out with private leagues next year and build from there, but it's an easy addition if we want it.

The 10 roster spots and 20 total spots are the right mix, we think. Drafting Tight Ends is like drafting Catchers in baseball; there's a lot of strategy in whether Kelce is worth a second round pick or if just waiting for Evan Engram to bust out makes more sense. I have been intrigued about a second Flex spot (not Super Flex involving QB, Double Flex) and whether there's a way to work that in as the third WR spot or as an additional spot (start 11 per week?). I wouldn't mind having that discussion.
To clarify, I was not trying to imply to change any current contest to a SuperFlex contest. My suggestion was meant that it would be a new contest. Maybe I was confusing by suggesting the name FantasyPoints.com SuperFlex Online Championship. Sorry, that was not my intention. As for the demand, I don't know the answer to that. I think there would or should be. I get tired of drafting in 1 QB leagues where everybody waits on QB. It is the most important position in football, and I just wish it was treated as such. I have a home league that is a SuperFlex. Despite being my lowest stakes league, because it is my only SuperFlex league it is my favorite team to draft every year. I'm not sure if any other national contest is a SuperFlex contest or not. I only play you guys and a few teams over with your main competitor. The only national contest I can recall that used SuperFlex is one I'm sure you are familiar with, because it was the original cutline contest, the Fantasy Football Open Championship (FFOC). The FFOC ridiculously offered an unsustainable $1M prize for 1st overall in 2008, which led to it folding after the 2nd year, but that was a 10-team SuperFlex league that had 6,600 entries that first season. Now I'm sure that had more to do with the ridiculous $1M carrot than the fact that it was SuperFlex, but 6,600 is a lot of teams. But I don't know if the demand is there or not, I only know that I personally love the concept of SuperFlex. Maybe I'm in a vast minority. But if you had a SuperFlex league I would definitely join, and if you had a SuperFlex national contest I would definitely take multiple teams. But I certainly understand that you already have 6 national contests, and maybe it isn't worth adding another if the demand isn't obviously there. In any case, I love the NFFC. You guys have the best contests, the best FAAB system, the best draft software and BY FAR the best customer service in the industry. Thank you for running contests during this horrific 2020 COVID year. I'm glad the MLB was able to get through the season, and I'm even more happy that the NFL has been able to get through the season to this point. Go Pack Go!

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:17 am

BLACKHAND wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:23 pm
First of all you guys did a tremendous job this year. You stuck to the rules and did not change them on the fly. The only extra change I would love to see is to eliminate consolation prizes in stand alone leagues. Give it to the 4th place playoff team as you can get a scenario in which you end up second in points having a great year and end up in fourth place in the playoffs and get nothing as it stands right now. Paying the 5th place team and not paying the 4th place team has always seemed wrong to me. Other than that you guys again did a great job.
+1

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:18 am

King of Queens wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:36 pm
The “COVID” changes should remain permanent for 2021 and beyond. Just fix the Team Kicker so that the “Free Agent” link on player profile is there as it is for every other position and TDST.

Something to consider: I believe that the NFL will soon incorporate regular Tuesday and Wednesday games into their schedule. The idea would be to get as many games in unique time slots as possible. The fallout of this is that NFL weeks would regularly end on Wednesday and begin on Thursday. I suppose you would have to move the first FAAB deadline to Thursday afternoon — not ideal, but not sure how else you would handle it.
Good points!

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:24 am

packman527 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:00 am
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:31 pm

I don't see us getting rid of the TE spot or the K spot or combining the third WR spot. I also don't think we'd change any of our current contests to a SuperFlex contest. Could we ADD a SuperFlex contest? Of course we could and it's an easy addition in the programming for us that we could do right now. All of the Fanball contests are SuperFlex now. But is there enough demand for a national SuperFlex contest when we already have like six national contests? Maybe we could start out with private leagues next year and build from there, but it's an easy addition if we want it.

To clarify, I was not trying to imply to change any current contest to a SuperFlex contest. My suggestion was meant that it would be a new contest. Maybe I was confusing by suggesting the name FantasyPoints.com SuperFlex Online Championship. Sorry, that was not my intention. As for the demand, I don't know the answer to that. I think there would or should be. I get tired of drafting in 1 QB leagues where everybody waits on QB. It is the most important position in football, and I just wish it was treated as such. I have a home league that is a SuperFlex. Despite being my lowest stakes league, because it is my only SuperFlex league it is my favorite team to draft every year. I'm not sure if any other national contest is a SuperFlex contest or not. I only play you guys and a few teams over with your main competitor. The only national contest I can recall that used SuperFlex is one I'm sure you are familiar with, because it was the original cutline contest, the Fantasy Football Open Championship (FFOC). The FFOC ridiculously offered an unsustainable $1M prize for 1st overall in 2008, which led to it folding after the 2nd year, but that was a 10-team SuperFlex league that had 6,600 entries that first season. Now I'm sure that had more to do with the ridiculous $1M carrot than the fact that it was SuperFlex, but 6,600 is a lot of teams. But I don't know if the demand is there or not, I only know that I personally love the concept of SuperFlex. Maybe I'm in a vast minority. But if you had a SuperFlex league I would definitely join, and if you had a SuperFlex national contest I would definitely take multiple teams. But I certainly understand that you already have 6 national contests, and maybe it isn't worth adding another if the demand isn't obviously there. In any case, I love the NFFC. You guys have the best contests, the best FAAB system, the best draft software and BY FAR the best customer service in the industry. Thank you for running contests during this horrific 2020 COVID year. I'm glad the MLB was able to get through the season, and I'm even more happy that the NFL has been able to get through the season to this point. Go Pack Go!
I'd also like to see some SuperFlex leagues and eventually contests. With the NFFC's juiced-up QB scoring format compared to most other sites, many games are often heavily-influenced by one QB going off for 40-50+ points and carrying a team. Adding a SuperFlex spot would largely be used as a 2nd QB spot - and this would require hitting on TWO QBs instead of just one in any given week. More skill IMO.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:12 am

bald is beautiful wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:38 pm
kjduke wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:25 pm
Phew!! NOW Greg may actually listen to the overwhelming suggestion to eliminate the 4th place $ in private leagues.
We already pay 4th place instead of the Consolation Round winner in the New York Super League and have been doing that for the last two years. That league is almost like a private league with the same 11-12 owners every year and when they asked us to do it, we made the change. No problem at all.

There has not been a single other private league that has asked us to do this, and for the reasons I gave previously, as a game operator we feel a Consolation Round is best to keep all owners fighting all season long. If a league like the NFFC 14-Team Super Auction League wanted to make this same change to paying 4th place instead of the Consolation Round winner, we could easily make this change. It's all the same prize money, so it doesn't matter to us. And with so many of the same owners back each year, this is an easy change to make.

We obviously wouldn't make the change if there was resistance from half of the owners or not a clear majority, but Jack is a good lawyer and I'm sure he could get a 12-0 verdict...or in this case 14-0. We'll make the change in 2021 if that's what the Super Auction league owners want.

We have different KDS timelines for the Platinum and the Diamond leagues, too, and if those owners wanted us to pay 4th place instead of the Consolation Round winners there we'd do it for those leagues, too. As of now, nobody has ever brought this up to me as a rules change they'd like to see, but I'm certainly open to that discussion. Ultimate and Super leagues too, but not all of those leagues have similar owners from year to year.

Believe it or not, we are actually pretty flexible with rules changes that make sense. And again, we've already catered this suggestion to the New York Super League and can pay this way in other private leagues as well. Thanks for the suggestion and the sarcasm as both are worthy.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius