Week 2 Thoughts & Observations

Tom Kessenich

Week 2 Thoughts & Observations

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:14 am

Here are some random thoughts and observations about Week 2 as I wonder how I have a team that’s 0-2 despite having Christian McCaffrey, Darren Woller and Tom Brady.

There’s going to be a lot of hand-wringing this week over Al Kamara and Jon Taylor’s terrible games (and they were terrible) as was the case with Zeke Elliott, Aaron Jones and Najee Harris in Week 1. That should tell everyone it’s been a rough start to the season for top RBs. Consider the following:

Only two RBs (Derrick Henry and Christian McCaffrey) are averaging more than 20 points per game. Only nine are averaging more than 15 ppg and two of them are Tony Pollard (who almost certainly wasn’t started by most people in either week) and James White.

Just like Elliott and Harris bounced back in Week 2 and just like Kamara and Taylor were much better in Week 1 than Week 2 I’m not concerned by what I’ve seen so far from the first-round RBs. Would I like more consistent excellence or higher floors? Of course.

But something tells me outside of a handful of teams, extreme volatility may be a way of life in the 2021 season. It may test our nerves so settle in because I doubt we’ve seen the last of it. Ultimately, though, I think the top players will perform like the players they are over the course of the season and I’m not going to worry about Alvin Kamara or Jonathan Taylor after one bad game when both looked great just one week ago.

It’s only two weeks into the season but I think we can safely say the WFT defense is a tad bit overrated. It’s one thing to get rolled by Justin Herbert. But Daniel Jones? And you couldn’t even force one turnover from a guy who begins the game gifting every team with two takeaways?

Not good WFT.

Not good at all.

It’s definitely happening sooner than Matt Nagy wants, but it’s Justin Fields time in Chicago. He was far from polished against the Bengals on Sunday, but it’s his team now and he’ll carry QB1 upside the rest of the season which may provide the type of spark a struggling fantasy team is looking for right now.

There’s not a bigger Brandin Cooks fan on the planet than I am but even I didn’t see 14-210-1 coming in the first two weeks of this season. Not on this team. And especially not with those two quarterbacks.

Bottom line – Cooks is really good and doesn’t get the respect he deserves.

Two weeks into the season and I’m still waiting for someone to give me a credible explanation for why Nick Chubb was so often falling into the middle and late part of the second round of the Primetime and RotoWire Online Championship as we drew close to the start of the season.

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Say what you want about Carson Wentz – and plenty can certainly be said – but he played one tough football game on Sunday.

Hang in there everyone with Bobby Trees shares. Defenses will start responding to Cooper Kupp being wide ass open all the time. And when they do, it’ll be time for Mr. Trees to shine.

I know the Bills won rather convincingly but does Josh Allen look … off … to anyone else or is it just me?

Jacoby Brissett attempted 40 passes for 169 yards. That actually happened. I’m not kidding. It really did. In 2021.

Hold on Zach Wilson just threw another interception.

Dear Philadelphia, what in the actual hell was that?

At this point there’s about a 63% chance we see Garrison Hearst at RB for the 49ers on Sunday night vs. the Packers. Or maybe Hugh McElhenny. They’re running out of bodies in the backfield there and they need to start calling anyone they can find.

Dante Pettis and Brandon Aiyuk should totally get together and go bowling.

Seriously Philly, what in the actual hell was that?

Please be OK Dionte Johnson.

Remember a few years ago when Derek Carr was a legit MVP candidate? He’s that guy again.

The Raiders went into Pittsburgh and stuffed the Steelers on a day when they didn’t rely heavily on Darren Woller and didn’t have Josh Jacobs. That right there is a pretty damn strong statement.

Jameis Winston Week 1 – 5 TDs/0 INTs

Jameis Winston Week 2 – 0 TDs/2 INTs

Yup, Jameis is back.

You know those guys you watch, and you wish you had more shares of them? D.J. Moore is one of those guys for me. Didn’t get enough shares of Moore this year. Damn good wide receiver.

Really like Courtland Sutton dropping 9-159 on the Jags.

Really dislike watching him limp around as much as he is lately.

Still can’t believe the Jags were road favorites in Week 1. I know it’s Week 2 but how in the holy hell did that happen? They are still terrible.

Hold on Zach Wilson just threw another interception.

Let’s take a look at some WR situations we all got wrong during drafting season:

Minnesota – Jefferson over Thielen

San Francisco – Aiyuk over Samuel

LA Rams – Woods over Kupp

LA Chargers – Williams over Allen

Tennessee – Brown over Julio

Seattle – Metcalf over Lockett

Aren’t small sample sizes fun?

The Falcons still aren’t using Calvin Ridley as much as they should, but Week 2 was better than Week 1 so baby steps I guess. But hey Matt Ryan, try not to throw so many Pick 6’s next week OK?

Watching the Bucs, I really get the feeling they can score every time they have the ball. They’re just that good.

Just like Dez caught the ball in the playoffs a few years ago (yeah, he did fellow Packers fans), Julio absolutely scored on Sunday.

Here’s my criteria for replay – If there's any question about whether a play is a catch, touchdown etc. the tiebreaker during replay should be - "Was that an incredible individual effort?"

If the answer is yet, the play counts.

Done.

Also, here’s your reminder the Titans got Julio for pennies on the dollar and every contending team that needed a WR could’ve gotten him on the cheap and turned down the opportunity. Tennessee took the gift.

I don’t think everyone with Zeke shares should panic just yet about Tony Pollard (Pollard only got seven touches in Week 1), but there’s no question Pollard has looked very good so far and likely has carved out a 8-10 touch per game type role at the very least going forward. I’d view it more as an ascension for Pollard than any serious decline for Elliott.

Folks, we may finally be seeing the Mike Williams breakout season we’ve all been waiting for. And if he doesn’t get injured it’s gonna be glorious.

Really like Justin Herbert everywhere on the field except when he gets inside the 10. Then it just gets all kinds of ugly.

There are fewer things more beautiful on God’s green earth than a Russ Wilson deep ball. That is just a fact, and it is indisputable.

Lamar vs. Mahomes every Sunday night for the rest of the season. Who says no?

And finally, if you started Dak Prescott, Al Kamara, Jon Taylor, Tyreek Hill, A.J. Brown, Robby Anderson and Tyler Higbee you clearly have no idea how to play fantasy football. Everybody knew Demetric Felton was the play over Kamara this week. What in the hell is wrong with you? Dumb ass.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

RC Techies

Re: Week 2 Thoughts & Observations

Post by RC Techies » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:50 pm

Really enjoy reading your thoughts and observations. One of the first things I look for on Monday morning. Please keep them coming.

Having just sneaked out a win over a team with Christian McCaffrey, Kyle Murray, Justin Jefferson and Cooper Kupp I can understand how you are 0-2. :D I really really really hope Diontae Johnson is not badly hurt. Seems like every game he gets hurt lately. Thought he was going to be out last week in the Buffalo game.

Flew back Sunday morning only to find out that I had left Odell Beckham in my starting lineup. It hurts that Allegiant flies only on Thursday and Sundays so I have no choice. Thankfully, it didn't cost me but you never know until the end how much those ten to twenty points lost can hurt.

Really enjoyed Vegas this year. Drafting live is the high point of the year. Online drafting last year sucked. I would really encourage anybody who wants to play in the NFFC to do the live drafts. It just isn't the same as sitting at home.