Carpooling to NFFC NY?

therealdeal

Carpooling to NFFC NY?

Post by therealdeal » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:23 am

I wonder if anybody's going to NY from the DC area next weekend and would like to pool. Currently I'm planning to go up fri and sat but would consider bowing out of the auction if not for a ride. My car's too old to take, but I'd pay for gas. The rental companies have ridiculous rates, most are sold out that weekend, it being a holiday and all. :rolleyes:

It would be nice to have some football talk on the way up there as well.
Low stakes leagues are a thing of the past.

lichtman

Carpooling to NFFC NY?

Post by lichtman » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:27 am

Go Greyhound! $22.50 each way with 7-day advanced purchase.

with gas prices today, that's a good deal.

And you will have many interesting people to talk to.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Diesel

Carpooling to NFFC NY?

Post by Diesel » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:42 am

Real Deal, look into AMTRAK...It takes you right to PennStation, and then you take the subway 1 or 2 stops and you're at the Hilton. Amtrak would be much faster too.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

JerseyPaul

Carpooling to NFFC NY?

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:23 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
Real Deal, look into AMTRAK...It takes you right to PennStation, and then you take the subway 1 or 2 stops and you're at the Hilton. Amtrak would be much faster too. I think that regular Amtrak service will cost you about $150 roundtrip and will take just over 3 hours. It's a great way to travel.

therealdeal

Carpooling to NFFC NY?

Post by therealdeal » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:54 am

Thanks for your hints guys. still trying to get a driving partner tho, where I only pay for gas. My car could make it back and forth on 2 tanks premium ($80 total) while it was in its prime.
Greyhound would be a good cheap option too, wonder how long it would take.

JerseyPaul

Carpooling to NFFC NY?

Post by JerseyPaul » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:14 am

Originally posted by The Real Deal:
Greyhound would be a good cheap option too, wonder how long it would take. Leave Tuesday

lichtman

Carpooling to NFFC NY?

Post by lichtman » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:02 am

usually around 5 hours. Or you can try to find out about one of those Chinatown buses that cost $10 each way.

And no, I'm not kidding.

[ August 26, 2004, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Ico Jones ]
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Diesel

Carpooling to NFFC NY?

Post by Diesel » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:33 am

Real Deal, parking costs and additional $40.00 per day...$80.00 gas + $40.00 + Traffic = Stress.

$150.00 Roundtrip for Amtrak and you get to snooze both ways...Or read your cheat sheats.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

therealdeal

Carpooling to NFFC NY?

Post by therealdeal » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:17 am

Diesel the other problem is if I want to go to the one on friday, if I don't have a car I have to get ripped off for outrageous in the city hotel rates instead of cruising out of town a few minutes and getting cheap roadside.
Maybe I just have to skip auction.

JerseyPaul

Carpooling to NFFC NY?

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:17 am

Originally posted by The Real Deal:
Diesel the other problem is if I want to go to the one on friday, if I don't have a car I have to get ripped off for outrageous in the city hotel rates instead of cruising out of town a few minutes and getting cheap roadside.
Maybe I just have to skip auction. There is an alternative as I mentioned in another thread.

There is a very convenient bus from Port Authority that runs to Harmon Meadow, Secaucus NJ (Route 320). The bus ride is 18 minutes. In Harmon Meadow there are a number of hotels like Holiday Inn, Embassy suites, Crowne Plaza, etc at much lower rates. From Port Authority you can walk to the Hilton (about 10-15 minute walk).