Team QB??

eliasond

Team QB??

Post by eliasond » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:39 pm

Has "Team QB" crept into the thoughts of anybody else lately? There have been no less than a dozen different backup quarterbacks starting games over the past couple weeks. That along with the usual byes has been brutal for a lot of draft champions teams trying to stay in contention.

I'm not saying I'm definitely in favor of going to Team QBs in future years but it certainly warrants discussion, especially for DCs. I would actually be more in favor of expanding our DC rosters by a couple more players, perhaps even as high as 40, to make it easier to draft all of the backup QBs for the starting QBs we drafted.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

Darik B

Re: Team QB??

Post by Darik B » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:43 pm

Would be a good topic for our new NFC High Stakes Fantasy Discord server...coming in the next few days. Stay tuned.

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Team QB??

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:19 am

eliasond wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:39 pm
Has "Team QB" crept into the thoughts of anybody else lately? There have been no less than a dozen different backup quarterbacks starting games over the past couple weeks. That along with the usual byes has been brutal for a lot of draft champions teams trying to stay in contention.

I'm not saying I'm definitely in favor of going to Team QBs in future years but it certainly warrants discussion, especially for DCs. I would actually be more in favor of expanding our DC rosters by a couple more players, perhaps even as high as 40, to make it easier to draft all of the backup QBs for the starting QBs we drafted.
My thought process is that this is high-stakes fantasy football and Team QB or Team WR or whatever doesn't make sense at this level of competition. We all have to fight through these injuries and battle on. And even in the Best Ball contests, we are drafting deeper than any other contest in the industry that going even deeper just prolongs the drafts. At some point, there has to be a cutoff.

Team Kicker made perfect sense during the pandemic and it still makes perfect sense today. It allows owners to roster just one Kicker per week, allowing them to add another RB or WR or even QB among their 20 roster spots. Nobody cares who is kicking for each team anyway and in Houston's case on Sunday it didn't matter who kicked that short field goal, it was valuable and it was worth 3 big points to the Texans and 3 big points to every fantasy team that owned the Team Houston Kicker.

But I highly doubt we'll go beyond Team Kicker. I understand the sentiment Daren, especially for Best Ball drafts, but again we're going 34 rounds deep and if you didn't draft Bagent by then who's to say you would have drafted him in Round 35 or 36 or even 40?

Good conversation, but that's my two cents.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius