keeper league rule change

kim456

keeper league rule change

Post by kim456 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:45 pm

would like to propose a 2024 rule change for " keepers " in the keeper league format
a team must have the round to keep a player - no more dropping down rounds -
example - 2024 - in my league - j herbert is a rd 10 keeper - if the team that has him does not have a rd 10 pick - herbert is either traded or goes back in the draft -
the way it is now for keepers - the team that has herbert - if he has no rd 10 pk -can use a rd 9 or rd 8 etc - and keep dropping down till a round is available to draft him if he wants
players are already dropping down 2 rounds from last year - that is enough - a team should not be allowed to drop down an extra 1 or more rounds to keep a player
the change would make things eaiser for everybody - also - not everyone in my league - either knew or understood - the dropping down round to be able to keep a player
thanks - can this be done or am i off base ?

Greg Ambrosius

Re: keeper league rule change

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:58 pm

kim456 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:45 pm
would like to propose a 2024 rule change for " keepers " in the keeper league format
example - 2024 - in my league - j herbert is a rd 10 keeper - if the team that has him does not have a rd 10 pick - herbert is either traded or goes back in the draft -
the way it is now for keepers - the team that has herbert - if he has no rd 10 pk -can use a rd 9 or rd 8 etc - and keep dropping down till a round is available to draft him if he wants
players are already dropping down 2 rounds from last year - that is enough - a team should not be allowed to drop down an extra 1 or more rounds to keep a player
the change would make things eaiser for everybody - also - not everyone in my league - either knew or understood - the dropping down round to be able to keep a player
Any rule change can be implemented, such as this one. But basically that owner would trade his 9th or 8th round pick to another owner for the pick needed to keep Herbert, right?

I mean he wouldn't cut a valuable player if he didn't have that keeper round. And to be honest, every owner should keep track of what picks they are trading and what five keepers thjey may have the following year, but again the easy solution for that owner would be finding a trade partner who likely would be happy to trade a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick, correct?

Maybe we need to communicate the rule better. That person is now keeping a player three rounds or even four rounds higher than where he drafted him, so it still makes sense to me. But maybe I'm off base. I'm interested in the replies from others. Thanks for the discussion.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kim456

Post by kim456 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:37 pm

greg - using herbert and his 2024 rd 10 draft status as a example :
in the keeper league as it is now - the owner does not have to trade draft picks to get a rd 10 in order to keep herbert
the owner will just use his rd 9 instead ( next open draft round down )
this is what i would like see go away - the drop down rule to keep a " keeper "
a team should have that round available to keep a player
fyi - i do not want any part of herbert right now - maybe in a few years - chargers ( rebuild )
other QB's are more attractive in later rounds to build around
hopefully the nffc football owners will help us out with their input
just let us know - keeping the drop down rule to keep a player when you do not have that round - or not - thanks

YAJ2112

Post by YAJ2112 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:32 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:58 pm
kim456 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:45 pm

Any rule change can be implemented, such as this one. But basically that owner would trade his 9th or 8th round pick to another owner for the pick needed to keep Herbert, right?

I mean he wouldn't cut a valuable player if he didn't have that keeper round. And to be honest, every owner should keep track of what picks they are trading and what five keepers thjey may have the following year, but again the easy solution for that owner would be finding a trade partner who likely would be happy to trade a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick, correct?

Maybe we need to communicate the rule better. That person is now keeping a player three rounds or even four rounds higher than where he drafted him, so it still makes sense to me. But maybe I'm off base. I'm interested in the replies from others. Thanks for the discussion.

I like this rule the way it is. Don't think an owner should be forced to find a trade to get the right round of pick when it will cost them a better pick to keep that player if they don't make a trade.

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:53 am

I'm fine with whatever is decided. I can't come up with a compelling argument for or against this change.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion