2024 Idea: Should We Offer Slow Drafts For Primetime & OCs?

YAJ2112

Re: 2024 Idea: Should We Offer Slow Drafts For Primetime & OCs?

Post by YAJ2112 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:16 am

So, was curious on the impact myself so I pulled some data together from a well-known competitor for football who has been offering slow drafts for similar contests.
Slow vs Fast.jpg
Slow vs Fast.jpg (83.64 KiB) Viewed 319 times
Not sure if this will post well, but basically I didn't find any statistical difference when it comes to winning overall prizes between teams that qualified for the overall sprint from fast drafts vs slow drafts.

For the $350 level contest, Slows represented 21.7% of the overall # of leagues and won 21.3% of the # of overall prizes. Didn't have the patience to pull that last number by % of overall prize $ won, but the distribution of winners looked normal (that is, there were 15 slow winners in the overall top 100 and they were equally distributed in the top 100).

For the larger buy in contest, the numbers were similar. Slows represented 18.3% of the overall # of leagues and won 18.7% of the # of overall prizes (and had 16 winners in the top 100, again equally distributed in the top 100).

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:08 am

Very interesting data, so thanks for posting.

Yeah, to have 18-20% of your signups via slow drafts is an area we don't offer right now and an area that could help grow the number of teams competing in at least one of our contests. Again I can see the benefits of this from April through July for the Online Championship mostly without any added benefits, other than more time to make those critical decisions.

Anyway, thanks for the data and this does help all of us as we think of the next steps.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

shark

Post by shark » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

So when are we going to get some 2-HR & 4 HR OCs on the schedule for May and June?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:15 pm

shark wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am
So when are we going to get some 2-HR & 4 HR OCs on the schedule for May and June?
The first scheduled 2024 Rotowire Online Championship draft of the season is Saturday, April 27th at 10 pm ET. I think we have OCs scheduled every day after that through Sunday morning, Sept. 8th.

If we add the 1-Hour, 2-Hour and 4-Hour OCs they will start Draft Day Weekend and then be available and start 30 minutes after the leagues fill. They won't be "scheduled" for May and June, but they would be allowed to start through those months and into July and August as well. Stay tuned on an official announcement there as we still have time before the NFL Draft later this month. Thanks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:09 am

So while I wouldn’t vote to have slow drafts in the OLC, I appear to be outnumbered, and it isn’t a deal breaker for me.

I would however take all the training camp and preseason out of the equation, by making the last slow drafts 2 weeks prior to the start of training camp. By mid July, you will have many people ready to start drafting, and I think the slows would slow down around then anyhow.

If it’s gonna happen, starting them end of April/early May makes sense.