New York In 2007: Need Feedback

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:07 am

Okay, we are trying to finalize plans for our 2007 NFFC and already have places booked in Las Vegas (Flamingo) and Chicago (Oakbrook Marriott). We can easily add the Tampa Convention Center if we want to add a fourth city in 2007, something I will consider over the next several months. But New York is still up in the air.

Here are some options:
New York Hilton, although space is limited as you guys know.
Meadowlands Exposition Center (space is available)
Atlantic City Convention Center (hotels will be booked, though)

I guess what I'm asking for is:
1) Should we stay with a Manhattan location? Does that work best for everyone?
2) Is a New Jersey location too much out of the way?
3) Is going to Atlantic City on Labor Day weekend WAY too much to ask?

There is space at the Javits Center for football, but the ballroom that is available isn't ideal, so I've passed on that option even though we are going there for baseball (a nice ballroom). There are other Manhattan locations that I can check out if the consensus is to stay in the city. I'm looking for feedback from the folks who have to make the journey because I want to make the right decision. We're definitely reaching 350 teams and beyond next year, so let's get this right. Thanks everyone.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:29 am

Greg,

I can only speak for myself coming from North Jersey but there is a reason the NY CITY location attracts the most entrants. It's the center point between borough, L.I and central/northern NJ residents. Conn. is close by, 3 airports + plenty of available rooms. It makes no matter where I draft in the city. The Meadowlands would be fine by me. But traveling south on the GS Parkway during the last weekend of summer either fri night or sat morning would be insane. I'm guessing 75% of the NY contestants would be doing the same thing. Unless you leave sat morn at 4am you will be fighting at least 80 miles of shore traffic. Please Greg, no AC

Q

[ October 18, 2006, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Quahogs ]

KAPEFEAR2

Post by KAPEFEAR2 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:39 am

Gregg, I'm from Cape Cod Ma., generally drive to Stamford Conn.,spend the night and it's 45minutes from there.I personally think your asking alot for us to go to AC.You did say" you could of fit 2 more teams there this year"..28 more people,yes it's a little cramped, but you have the addition of "the big city". I'd vote no CHANGE.... :D :D

KAPEFEAR2

Post by KAPEFEAR2 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:40 am

2MORE LEAGUES..... MISPRINT

Dr. FI$HER

Post by Dr. FI$HER » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:51 am

Greg-

If you are thinking of adding a Florida City, I would highly recommend somewhere in South florida like Miami or Fort Lauderdale. The fan base down here is huge. Most south floridians would not drive to Tampa for a draft imo. I could probably pull one to two leagues on my own into the event!
FI$HER

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:06 am

I have no preference as to where "near NYC" it would be, as they all (north NJ, Atlantic City, NYC are approximately a 5 1/2 - 6 hour drive).

Like myself, many of the other "Team Chicago" players are planning on invading the Big Apple next year for the draft. It may be anywhere from 10-15 people transferring from Chicago to NYC, so you might want to consider that when deciding where to have the draft.

Obviously this will take your numbers away from Chicago, but it sounds like you are already set for the Oakbrook (which is a great place!)

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:53 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I have no preference as to where "near NYC" it would be, as they all (north NJ, Atlantic City, NYC are approximately a 5 1/2 - 6 hour drive).

Like myself, many of the other "Team Chicago" players are planning on invading the Big Apple next year for the draft. It may be anywhere from 10-15 people transferring from Chicago to NYC, so you might want to consider that when deciding where to have the draft.

Obviously this will take your numbers away from Chicago, but it sounds like you are already set for the Oakbrook (which is a great place!) Excellent ! load up the Chi-towners !

Q

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:02 am

Greg, I was one for having it in Atlantic City...This is THE place to have this kind of event, and for people to be able to party in a "Vegas" type of atmosphere, all within the same hotel where you have the event.

HOWEVER, since you reminded me that Labor Day weekend is the weekend of the event, it totally changed my mind. Although this place is a great place for the event, this weekend in Atlantic City is jam-packed, and the hotel rates are sky high. People that don't book in advance will be forced to stay in crappy hotels outside of atlantic city which is nothing short of the ghetto...

The Hilton is a good place to have it, however the room was limited, and if they don't guarantee you the expanded space next year, you'd be shorting yourself...

To make my long story short, wherever you have the drafts, I'm there. Just throwing my 2 cents around.

*****Just make sure wherever we have the draft, they will allow our late night live draft next year that we had talked about. I have 11-12 definite owners for that draft, and it's only October of 2006... :cool: lol

[ October 18, 2006, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:04 am

LOL, Q...

Funny thing is...I will wait for all these sharpie Chi-Town drafters to sign up in NY thinking its the holy grail of idiot drafters here..., then I will sign up to draft in Chicago where I will be at the same table of a guy who picks three defenses in a row
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:20 am

Fisher - smart. Bleed Chi-town of its top talent (from what I hear some damn fine players are invading NY) then sweep into the Oakbrook and clean some clocks.

Q