The 2004 NFFC Champion Is ...

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:55 am

Teenage Wasteland (a.k.a. Gordon Gekko) in Las Vegas League 3. Gekko won the title with a final point total of 715.34. In Week 16, he had 221.3 points, keyed by strong performances from Tony Gonzalez (35.4 points), Muhsin Muhammad (31.4), Reuben Droughns (31.1), Tom Brady (25.5) and Warrick Dunn (22.9).

For finishing first in Week 16, Gordon wins an autographed Peyton Manning 16x20 photo courtesy of Upper Deck Authenticated. And of course, Gordon claims the biggest prize of them all -- the $100,000 grand prize for winning our event.

We'll be posting all of the top finishers as well as the Auction League and Draft Masters Champions later today, but congratulations again to Gordon and thanks to everyone for making the first year of the NFFC a rousing success.

[ December 28, 2004, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:02 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
In Week 16, he had 201.90 pointsshould be Teenage Wasteland 221.3

who's complaining though
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:12 am

well…well…well…
who would have thought, right? we at Gekko Industries would like to thank all of the great competitors, the fantasy sheep, MB regulars, Greg/Tom, and our fantasy players. Without you, this would not have been possible. We look forward to carrying the torch for the NFFC, as well as fielding a competitive team next year. I’ve enjoyed this event, as well as made some friendships. what to do with the $$$...i need to buy a new computer monitor as it’s been punched and flipped over a few times during the season (D.Davis hurt, Westbrook hurt). Thank you.

note: if you’d like to end the story now, with the winner being gracious, please stop reading the post…NOW. Thanks.

further ramblings:
I can remember people “laughing” at our starting team on draft day as well as the days that followed… people gave us headshakes and chuckles. asking why we selected Domanick Davis 13th and Brian Westbrook 16th overall, and not C.Dillon or R.Johnson. others said our wr’s were sub-standard.
actual rankings after week 16.:
Tom Brady = 10th best qb
Domanick Davis = 6th best rb
Brian Westbrook = 7th best rb
Warrick Dunn = 17th best rb
Mushin Muhammed = 1st best wr
Rod Smith = 17th best wr
Eddie Kennison = 21st best wr
Tony Gonzalez = 2nd best te

anyone want to purchase Gekko's projections/spreadsheet next year?

“I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought.”

Looking back at the numbers, this was really a text-book definition of “domination”. we lead our league by over 100pts, and then dominated the playoffs like no other team will ever do. 190pt average in the playoffs. The NFFC fielded the best fantasy owners (Gekko & company) in the world this year. looking at our team and the wcoff champion, it’s kinda funny, cause we’d sink his battleship. not even close. some may say they have a paper champion. I’ll leave that to the fantasy pundits…

in any event…
greg, next year, I may be agreeable to have the prize for the highest weekly score in week 16 be an autographed picture of me. makes sense, doesn’t it?

next year, as well as in future years; the road to the 100K or 200K goes through Gekko & company. you've been given notice. thanks.

[ December 28, 2004, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:23 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
In Week 16, he had 201.90 pointsshould be Teenage Wasteland 221.3

who's complaining though
[/QUOTE]I'll double-check on that Gordon, but the standings I'm seeing right now show 201.90.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:04 am

actual rankings after week 16.:
Tom Brady = 10th best qb
Brian Westbrook = 7th best rb
Warrick Dunn = 17th best rb
Mushin Muhammed = 1st best wr
Rod Smith = 17th best wr
Eddie Kennison = 21st best wr
Tony Gonzalez = 2nd best teI'm your huckleberry, Gordon. Here are my actual rankings after week 16:

Drew Brees = 8th best qb
Edgerrin James = 4th best rb
Curtis Martin = 5th best rb
Muhsin Muhammad = 1st best wr
Drew Bennett = 7th best wr
Reggie Wayne = 10th best wr
Dallas Clark = 15th best te

Must be something else...

and then dominated the playoffs like no other team will ever do. 190pt average in the playoffs.You're getting closer, but still not exactly nailing the point. Here are the playoff averages for Weeks 14 and 15:

1) CanAm Bombers 189.25
2) SVENGALI 178.53
3) It's Time 178.33
4) Teenage Wasteland 174.83
5) Yiz Fancy Pants 171.80

Now let's look at those same 5 teams and see how they fared in week 16:

CanAm Bombers 143.60
SVENGALI 148.90
It's Time 139.70
Teenage Wasteland 221.20
Yiz Fancy Pants 136.10

Bingo. Pretty clear to see which of these is the outlier (and why you dominated the playoffs).

Congrats on stepping up when it counted, Gordon. The contest is designed to award the teams that do the best over the season...and especially the final three weeks. We were right there with you until the end, and look forward to doing so again next year.

Good luck in your quest to repeat as champion!

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:50 am

LOL! Funny post GG.

You deserve a little "me" time after that playoff performance. I won't steal your thunder now - but look forward to the challenge of dethroning you next year. ;)

I'm assuming (taking out the weekly avg. pts. we started the playoffs with) that you led the event in overall pts. I'd like to see a final list of actual pts. if anyone has it. Just for fun!

Congrats again to team Teenage Wasteland!

RC

Dedhed-J

Post by Dedhed-J » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:12 am

I would like to thank everyone for a great year. It was difficult at times to win such a LARGE contest, but Gordon and I did it. It is going to be exciting to see what comes our way in the future as the NATIONAL FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS.
No matter what it is we can't wait!!!!!!!!!! The hard part is over now we can enjoy the rewards.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:27 am

I guess we can officially annoint GG the "Anti-Chad". You know, a guy who actually backs up his smack talk.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:10 am

Congratulations to Gekko. You have undoubtedly earned this Championship and the spoils that go with it. Enjoy.

Nevertheless, I just can't help to think of a phrase for some reason... "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while". Hmmm.
For Players. By Players.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:40 am

Congrats Gekko!!

Have fun with your earnings!!

You've most certainly proved that a great draft and great in-season moves are the key to winning this type of event.

You've also proved with your post above that it takes a team to win, not just any one player. It's not where you pick, it's whom you pick. Nice job.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.