Separate Chicago/New York Draft Masters Leagues?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:57 am

Okay, I was all set to pick the draft order for the combined Chicago/New York Draft Masters League when I got several phone calls interested in still joining this league. Now the dilemma is to wait to fill up leagues in each city or to just leave this combined league alone. If the 14 fully paid participants don't mind waiting, I'd like to wait until the end of the day to decide this one.

Basically, I know we have seven signups for New York and another person who REALLY wants to get in. In Chicago, we now have seven signups and three more people who want to get in. That gives us 17 with the hope of adding more. There's no guarantee of filling up each city, but it's worth waiting one more day to find out.

So hang with me Draft Masters owners in New York and Chicago and we'll finalize these leagues yet. We're definitely going forward, it's just deciding whether we're going separately or jointly. We'll decide that by tomorrow morning at the latest. Thanks for your patience.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:06 am

Greg,

Out of curiosity, what will you do should you end up with 14 in New York and 9 in Chicago? Aren't you potentially running the risk of having a partial league? Just looking for clarification...
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:08 am

Bong...what city are you drafting from? And what league draft position are you?

goodluck ole buddy
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:25 am

Seven in a few hours? I don't think so. Seven months 14 guys, seven hours 7 guys.

As long as those picks are there first thing tomorrow I can live with it but I think you're making a mistake and setting a bad precedent.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:05 am

I would stick with the combined draft...If Chicago gets 11, and New York is stuck with 8, you won't be able to meet the league prize structure you've already guaranteed.

I would combine the 2 leagues and send out the draft order. If you can acquire 14 more teams between 2 cities before Friday, then you can have an additional combined phone draft. It's better to have people who are coming in last minute wait and see how their league turns out, then to postpone the draft order of the owners that have been here.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:12 am

Bump the prize money up and let us all in. I’ve been in a 20-team league before and my main league is currently 16. I love having to draft all the back-up QB’s and 4th RC’s. My 16-team league has 28-man rosters, believe me it’s quite possible to draft 450 NFL players, heck we all do it in baseball.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:15 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
I would stick with the combined draft...If Chicago gets 11, and New York is stuck with 8, you won't be able to meet the league prize structure you've already guaranteed.

I would combine the 2 leagues and send out the draft order. If you can acquire 14 more teams between 2 cities before Friday, then you can have an additional combined phone draft. It's better to have people who are coming in last minute wait and see how their league turns out, then to postpone the draft order of the owners that have been here. Excellent suggestion.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:22 am

Yes, it might be unrealistic to think we'd add seven more in Chicago and seven more in New York overnight, but we promised all draft positions no later than late Monday night, so I'm just explaining why we haven't announced the Draft Masters League draft spots right now. We'll have an answer and draft positions by first thing tomorrow and the combined league will likely stay the same.

Right now I'm up to 9 and 9. If there's no potential for more, we'll stick with 7 and 7 and announce the picks tomorrow.

We will not go to 16 teams or change the rules at all. We will have a 14-team Draft Masters League and all 14 owners that I mentioned yesterday will get in. I just wanted 12 more hours to gauge the interest from those two cities now that interest is high. Thanks everyone.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:45 am

We should all reach out and see if we know anyone else that wants in. I mean a $4000 is higher stakes than most leagues anyone can get into. Plus you KNOW that the money will be there at the end of the year, do you really trust someone from the “neighborhood” with $8400 of your money? The rake Krause takes is more than worth it considering the venue for the event and the superior stats service. Plus factor in the pub we get for competing and this is a no-brainer.

We should definitely be able to come up with 10 more teams from two of the three largest cities in the country. I also think it won’t kill any of us to wait an extra day or two (if that’s what it takes) to learn our draft position. Hey, I’m as anxious (if not more) than the next guy, but I would definitely prefer a LIVE draft with no phone hookup come Friday (plus the Chicago draft could move back to its original 1pm start time.)

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:51 pm

Originally posted by Liquid:
Bong...what city are you drafting from? And what league draft position are you?

goodluck ole buddy Hey there Liquid...drafting from Chicago for the NFFC, looks like I caught the 7 slot which in a 14 team league is not upsetting to me at all. You'll find me in Chicago 1...where'd ya end up? Good luck and nice to see ya again, it's been awhile... ;)
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.