Who says the bottom teams can't win????

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:00 pm

Everybody think picks 12-14 are so bad??????

There will definitely be some reaches, but if you draft who YOU think will "break out" and not who FFChamps, Football Guys, etc. believe (make your own cheat sheets and forget everything else!), ANYONE has a shot. Seriously, we all paid A LOT of $$ to get in this, we ALL are going to have to reach here and there.

Think of the team you could have drafted last year at picks 12-14. This of course is all hypothetical and a "best case" scenario, but it can certainly happen (we will use pick 13 for example),

1-13 RB Jamal Lewis
2-2 WR Torry Holt (probably early, but if you knew he would bust out...)
3-13 WR Chad Johnson
4-2 TE Tony Gonzalez (he was hurt, and probably would have slipped here)
5-13 QB Matt Hasselbeck
6-2 RB T.J Duckett

Add in picking up Brian Westbrook and/or Anquan Boldin, and this team EASILY walks away with the league championship and maybe the whole thing!

Sure, people may have laughed when you took Torry Holt over Terrell Owens, but who would be laughing at the end?????

Take 2 of these picks away, and this team would STILL have been VERY competitive!

Keeping injury free and A LOT of luck are going to win this thing!

A monkey could take LT or Priest first (no disrespect to those picking 1st), but if they go down for the season.... BYE BYE!!!!

IT CAN BE DONE from ANY spot!!!!!!

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!!!!

Hoosier Hick

Post by Hoosier Hick » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:22 pm

I take it your picking at the bottom? ;)

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:33 pm

I would definitely do a good job picking from the bottom if I could do it 7 months after the Super Bowl.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:35 pm

I know, I know, but it can be done. The bottom teams just have to take more chances, and that is why they are at a slight disadvantage.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:51 pm

Of course it can be done - this year more than any other year the late picks have a solid chance to produce.

No different than any other position, you need to draft well. No big secret.

Dyv
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:34 pm

LOL...Right Billy, you and I at the ass end of League 6...tell it like it is...it sucks

and to make it worse...

we'll be stealing each others value picks

[ August 30, 2004, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: JerseyPaul ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:52 pm

I love the post and you are absolutely right. Last year in the FF Champs.com $5,000 league I got the 12th pick and pissed and moaned about it for days. Then Ahman Green fell to 12th and everyone said it was a homer pick because I'm a Packers' fan. I took Tiki Barber 13th and thought I got a steal, but imagine what my team would have been like had I taken Jamal Lewis. I got some stud WRs in the third and fourth rounds and added Moe Williams in like the 10th and had a team that was among the points leaders all season long. I lost the last two games of the regular season to fall short of the playoffs, but it was fun picking 12th last year.

Now 14th is different than 12th, but you can definitely win from anywhere in the draft. The key is making the right picks, staying healthy and finding those diamonds in the rough later on. You need studs to win a league title and they have to stay healthy, but you need sleepers too.

Trust me, it was almost painful for Tom and I to pick those names out of a hat today because we wanted everyone to have a good draft pick and we almost know each and every one of you personally. But we know that in the 15-team NFBC leagues, the current leaders range across the board from their draft positions. Tenth seems to be as successful as fourth this year and the No. 1 teams aren't any more successful than the teams who had the 15th pick. The same thing will happen here.

Good luck everyone. I'm off to Las Vegas first thing tomorrow morning, so be good and contact Tom if you need anything. See you on Friday at the Flamingo for those coming out there.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius