NFFC Auction playoffs

mikeybok

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by mikeybok » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:23 am

Anyone else out here sick of the Auction playoff's.

Oddly ... it is the purest form of drafting a team and might arguably take the most skill and preparation to draft. Instead of rewarding the best teams like the DC's ... we let nearly 1/2 the league in the playoffs and let the money and title ride on basically two or three games. It's like you take the purest for of draft and put the most luck at the end. I don't get it?

The Tomatoes quit playing the auction a while back ... but we seem to get dragged back into it every other year or so ... only to have one of the top teams feel good about it, only to lose in the playoffs. This year again we lost two games in a row to take forth place and we were beat by the BEST team in the league (who took third BTW).

This is how home leagues are played out (I get it .. for fun ... getting real lucky is part of it). This is NOT how national contests for league titles should be handed out IMHO. I get the 3 week race for 100K. That's different. I don't get the 6 team race for money. It will be interesting to see how Greg and tom set up the 10K Auction championships. I don't see how he can have a playoffs. Maybe he will re think the stand alone event as well if enough people chime in. Chime in if you like the current system to give that feed back to Greg as well.

BTW ... If the national DC/Auction contests have a race for 10K ... the FEWER teams that make the race ... the better IMO.
Hakuna Matata!

moyer1313

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by moyer1313 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:12 am

UYT,

Unfortunately, the Ultimate League does the same 6 teams and Head-to-Head thing for the League Playoffs. I have been lobbying against it for years, but, each year I am almost the only voice against the current setup.

Greg and Tom have listened to the Ulitmate League players and they soundly want it the way it is currently set up.

I'm guessing that the Auction League players will want to keep it the way it is currently set up, too.

I am with you, but I bet we are alone.

Mark
Follow Me
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

mikeybok

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by mikeybok » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 am

Originally posted by Follow Me:
UYT,

Unfortunately, the Ultimate League does the same 6 teams and Head-to-Head thing for the League Playoffs. I have been lobbying against it for years, but, each year I am almost the only voice against the current setup.

Greg and Tom have listened to the Ulitmate League players and they soundly want it the way it is currently set up.

I'm guessing that the Auction League players will want to keep it the way it is currently set up, too.

Mark
Follow Me If most people want it that way ... so be it. It would be good to hear from them. It just seems like the format that offers players the most control ... would also have players that want the most luck at the end. I know RC (Jeff) and Bubba hate this format also. I have yet to hear from someone in favor of the current deep playoff auction format.

It's interesting the Ultimate league want the rush the H2H playoff's create over the skill of the best team winning out. Must be a bunch a adrenalin junkies in that one ... you would think the auction would be the opposite? :D

Big Mike
Hakuna Matata!

bald is beautiful

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by bald is beautiful » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:49 am

Originally posted by Follow Me:
UYT,

Mark
Follow Me You are not alone. I agree with all you both said.

pizzatyme

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:59 am

Mike,

I like the format for the playoffs. I won the Magazine auction league and came into the playoffs as the 3rd best team. Scoring was fairly close so I don't think a playoff is out of the question.

On the other hand, if you get a dominant team, I can certainly see whay you don't want a playoff.

Keep in mind, I'm not one of the big $$$ auction players, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

weber7777

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by weber7777 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:29 pm

as long as the top 2 teams get money for reg season i have no problem allowing 6 in the playoffs. it's a fun system.. this year i got into playoffs with record not points but i knew my team was good.. just had some bad luck early on... i ended up winning league title in playoffs and i know i deserved it..

i like the system, you can leave it the way it is and implement a 10k overall award.. im sure they will do a good job.. i'll be there with bells on

Mike- Auction Man!
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

lumpy463

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by lumpy463 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:09 am

Lumpy's Losers had success in the initial Ultimate and Auction formats.

However, we have not played in these for many years.

We, like UYT, did not like the the structure of the playoffs and payouts in these formats.

Derek "Lumpy" Anderson
Part of a Silent Majority?
Derek "Lumpy" Anderson

Coltsfan

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:25 am

I'm not a fan of the auction playoffs at all. In fact, if prize money is coming out of these leagues for an overall national champion I will probably end up dropping the auction league from my nffc weekend.

Wayne

Greg Ambrosius

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:00 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
I'm not a fan of the auction playoffs at all. In fact, if prize money is coming out of these leagues for an overall national champion I will probably end up dropping the auction league from my nffc weekend.

Wayne And so what is the solution for those who don't like the h2h format during the playoffs? Total points through three weeks?? Four teams instead of six??

Some folks like this format and have said so. Let's hear suggestions on a better mouse trap.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

lumpy463

NFFC Auction playoffs

Post by lumpy463 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:32 am

I do not care head to head versus total points.
I hate making the playoffs and not having anything to show for it.
I would play again as long as I know if I make the playoffs I break even.
I want to win at least my entry fee back.
However, not sure if there is a way to make a payout like that appealing to the masses.

Derek "Lumpy" Anderson
Derek "Lumpy" Anderson