Napoleon McCallum Confirmed For Las Vegas

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:27 pm

Okay, as expected Napoleon McCallum will be our featured guest speaker in Las Vegas courtesy of Best Buy. Napoleon will be at the Flamingo in Las Vegas from 5 to 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 3rd and we'll wait for the Draft Masters League to be finished before having him speak to the group. We'll start the Las Vegas Auction Leagues after his speech and continue with Q&A for anyone who is not competing in the Auction Leagues. Myself and Nate Ravitz of RotoTimes.com will join Napoleon for some fun Q&A after his speech and entertain all questions about anything that's on your mind for 30-45 minutes. Should be fun.

For the record, here is the background on McCallum:

McCallum, who played six seasons in the National Football League with the Los Angeles Raiders, currently lives in Las Vegas, where he owns his own computer graphics company, Digital Pro Graphics.

McCallum rushed for 790 yards and six TDs during six seasons with the Raiders, but he's best known for his accomplishments during his college career at Navy. Inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2003, McCallum ranks second all-time with 7,172 career all-purpose yards, second only in Division I to Texas' Ricky Williams. He was a two-time consensus all-American who finished sixth in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1983 and eighth in 1985. He was drafted in the fourth round by the Raiders in 1986 and played one season there before missing the next three seasons to fulfill his five-year commitment to Navy.

McCallum's career came to a scary end in the 1994 NFL opener when he suffered a severe knee injury against San Francisco. He suffered three completely torn ligaments, one partially torn ligament and a ruptured artery that almost cost him his leg. At the time he was the starting halfback for the Raiders, but he has had six surgeries on his dislocated knee since then and now concentrates more on golf than football.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:28 pm

Just as an FYI: Saturday's Welcome Receptions in New York and Chicago are also sponsored by Best Buy. We'll have Ottis Anderson speaking at the New York Hilton from 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. and we'll have Dan Jiggetts in Chicago from 10 a.m. until 11:15 a.m. Come early and get a chance to meet all of players at our Welcome Receptions.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:33 pm

Does Ottis like to be called O.J. anymore? I dont wanna offend him but maybe he went back to Ottis since the whole Bronco incident with that other guy named OJ
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:37 pm

I was actually wondering about that too Liquid -- not because of the Simpson deal but just wondering if he preferred Ottis or OJ. I'll be going with Ottis just to play it safe.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

What's the rumpus?

Post by What's the rumpus? » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:48 pm

Ask OJ if he knows who has the record for lowest yards per carry by a back who gained at least 1000 yards.

MidasMike

Post by MidasMike » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:49 pm

Although it is never mentioned along with the most gruesome sports injuries of all time, (L.T.-Theismann), I always thought McCallums was by far the worst. I remember watching the game, opening Monday night football i believe . Ken Norton jr. laying on his leg . OUCH! :eek:

What's the rumpus?

Post by What's the rumpus? » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:53 pm

I was at the Washington game. No jumbotron at RFK, didn't see if for weeks. Did see LT running around like a crazy person trying to get help on the field. I believe Jay Scroeder led the Redskins to a come from behind victory. Bastards.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:15 pm

Steve Yeager getting hit by the jagged end of a broken bat in the throat while he was catching was the worst I ever saw. He almost died from that one also. Thats where the throat protecter for catchers came from.

Nice to see a Navy guy speaking even if he was just ;) an officer.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:41 pm

As nasty as all of those are, Clint Malarchuck's throat being slit on the the ice will take the cake for me (at least until someone is castrated on the field of play).
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:22 pm

Originally posted by Ico Jones:
As nasty as all of those are, Clint Malarchuck's throat being slit on the the ice will take the cake for me (at least until someone is castrated on the field of play). THAT was the scariest thing I ever saw... if that big D-man didn't slap his glove there to stop the gushing he'd have died on the spot.

D
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!