Your Thoughts On Drafting In The Doubleheader

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:01 am

Since the NFFC is the only live event to offer two main event drafts on the same day, I'd like to reach out to our loyal participants and get their feedback on Draft Day. I'd also like to hear their strategies for drafting two teams in slightly different formats and if their strategies since last year have changed at all. Let's create some discussion here and get the momentum going towards Draft Day.

As I've mentioned before, the idea for the doubleheader came about after Draft Day a few years ago. With our baseball main events, everyone seems to leave drained as those take 4.5 to 5 hours each. We all head to the bar after that one, feeling as if we just took our SATs. :D

But with football, I always felt like the drafts went too quickly. We don't mess around in the NFFC and we always start right on time, so our drafts can be done in 2 hours and 30 minutes, sometimes 2 hours and 15 minutes. I remember a few years back walking out of the Flamingo draft room with Jules McLean and asking her how it went. She said it was great but she was so pumped up she was ready to do another one. I laughed but thought about that idea for a bit and realized that it would be very easy for us to host a second main event draft in each city, especially with hotel space already secured, staffers in each city, and willing participants who wouldn't mind another league format.

That's when I thought about the 12-team format to go with our already established 14-team format. We put the idea in motion and came up with a great doubleheader. Last year we had 162 teams competing in both main events and fighting for a possible $1 million bonus (paid in annuities) to anyone who could win both overall titles. This year we're offering a $75,000 cash bonus to anyone who can win both main event overall titles and we already have 138 teams signed up for both main events.

Okay, here are some quick questions:

1. What's the most appealing aspect of the NFFC doubleheader (bonus, two different formats, live drafts on the same day, comraderie, etc.)?

2. What was your draft strategy last year as far as selecting similar teams compared to what it will be this year? Do you need similar players to win both overall titles?

3. Can someone actually win both overall titles? Last year we had 11 teams (almost one-fourth of the teams) in both Championship Rounds and Dave Gerczak finished first in the Primetime and 10th in the Classic. So can it be done?

4. Will your KDS preferences be similar for both events? What changes if you don't get similar draft spots?

With so many people already signed up for both main events, I thought this would be a fun thread to interact in. I look forward to seeing as many thoughts as possible. Thanks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:57 am

I GUESS I'LL START.

1) I LOVE THE ASPECT OF HAVING TWO MAIN EVENTS ONE DAY. IT IS NICE SEEING THE FRIENDS YOU HAVE MADE IN THE NFFC AND SEE THE DIFFERENTS STRATEGIES.

2) THE CHALLENGE OF TRYING TO WIN TWO MAIN EVENTS WITH A DIFFERENT NUMBER OF TEAMS EACH IS ALSO FUN.

3) IT MAKES DIE HARD PLAYER USE SO MUCH PREP FOR THIS ONE DAY TO GET IT RIGHT.

4) I BELIEVE SOMEONE CAN WIN BOTH TITLES AT SOME POINT BUT IT IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO DO WITH SO MANY TALENTED OWNERS IN THE NFFC.

5) I PERSONALLY HOPE THE DOUBLE HEADER IS HERE TO STAY FOR YEARS TO COME.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:01 am

Yeah well all I know is that you're only giving us 2 hours between drafts which means this is what dinner is going to look like at Tom Yates NY League 6 Congratulatory Thanks For Allowing Me To Draft a MONSTER Team All You Can Eat Hot Dog Dinner !

thanks Greg :mad:

and Thanks Tom :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:42 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:
Yeah well all I know is that you're only giving us 2 hours between drafts which means this is what dinner is going to look like at Tom Yates NY League 6 Congratulatory Thanks For Allowing Me To Draft a MONSTER Team All You Can Eat Hot Dog Dinner !

thanks Greg :mad:

and Thanks Tom :D

Good one!!! This is why we don't sponsor a buffet at the NFFC. :D You guys would eat like this if we had five hours between drafts. :D You're just mad because you know the service in New York is so slow that two and a half hours to eat isn't enough time in the Big Apple. You could get breakfast and lunch in that time anywhere else. ;)

A picture says it all. You're still the King of Pictures at the NFFC.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Hammerheads

Post by Hammerheads » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:21 am

Having a full day of football is great! I hope the two drafts stay for a long time.
I won 5K in each of the leagues I was in and the only common players I had to both teams were Cotchery and Tony Scheffler. They were easily the least productive of all my starters so I don't think you need to have the same players on each team to win your league but I do think if someone ever wins the bonus money they will have several common players. There are always a handful of players that get hot during the playoff weeks.

I beleive the KDS isn't going to matter too much this year. I could be dead wrong but I think when the season is over the winners will have drafted all over. Everyone has a different opinion of the top players. I have drafted in 5 leagues so far and they were all different.

moyer1313

Post by moyer1313 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:04 pm

Only a doubleheader?

"Let's play three."

Mark
Follow Me
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm looking forward to being tired...

It's the kind of tired I can go for.

(take your pick)

3'

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Double the rush. Different KDS last year, same this year. Fun!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

TOMDOG

Post by TOMDOG » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am

Cool thread,very intresting questions,heres my 2 bits.

1.The most appealing thing for me about being around all day at multiple drafts is the people for sure.Some folks last year only drafted in one league and as i did both i caught up with different folks all day and night,it was great.And i got to meet some other folks i only knew from the boardsand as a guy who loves to hang out and look at other draft boards,there was just so much more to see and discuss in NYC.
As far as i am concerned,more is better.

2.I have a tendency to hedge my bets regarding a draft,so i rarely end up with the same core players.Last year i submitted the same style of kds,weighted toward the ends(and as of now i like that again for this year)and i got a 14 pick in the classic and a 2 in the primetime.
I knew going in to the classic i was going wrwrwr to start,and i would start the primetime with a rb and just stay open to what i liked after that that fell.I ended up having much success in the end in the classic,but my primetime team was middle of the road.And my first 2 picks in the primetime were AP,and then MJD in the 2nd.Wont see that this year,lol.Then i took ocho,bummer.
I think many different combos could match up to win both,probably harder though.And i think getting a core type late on both teams like Deangelo will be the key to a team that actually does it someday.
3.Sure it can,and it will,the question is when.
4.My kds will be very similar,just my comfort zone.Like anyone else,i would accept any slot,but given the choice,i like the same area in both formats.